When it comes to which Godzilla films are generally held up as the best...

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Garzon
Monsterland Worker

When it comes to which Godzilla films are generally held up as the best...

Post by Garzon »

Is it fair to say that the original film, GMK and Shin are essentially the Holy Trinity of the Godzilla series, in terms of being considered the best of the lot? Genuine question here. From my experience, they seem to be the three that are held up as being the most “legitimate” in terms of qualifying as actual art, and not just schlocky monster movies.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: When it comes to which Godzilla films are generally held up as the best...

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Garzon wrote:Is it fair to say that the original film, GMK and Shin are essentially the Holy Trinity of the Godzilla series, in terms of being considered the best of the lot? Genuine question here. From my experience, they seem to be the three that are held up as being the most “legitimate” in terms of qualifying as actual art, and not just schlocky monster movies.
I think Gojira and Shin are the only definitive ones. GMK is one of my favorites, but there's many people who would argue (and they're not wrong) that Mothra vs. Godzilla 1964 or GTTHM are better. Shin has it's detractors amongst the Godzilla fandom, but pretty much Shin is universally liked in Japan, as it broke box office records, and won a ton of awards. You can't say the same for a lot of the other films. Shin is definitely considered more than "schlocky monster movies".

However, I'd argue a lot of members of the early showa era are more than shlocky monster movies. Just public perception and what not.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Garzon wrote:Is it fair to say that the original film, GMK and Shin are essentially the Holy Trinity of the Godzilla series, in terms of being considered the best of the lot? Genuine question here. From my experience, they seem to be the three that are held up as being the most “legitimate” in terms of qualifying as actual art, and not just schlocky monster movies.
Those are probably the ones most often cited as "elevating the genre" or some such, yes (though more so the original and Shin that GMK). But I'd add that, as highly regarded as GMK and Shin are by a lot of fans, they're also both very controversial; other than the original, the one most consistently held up as a masterpiece by fans/in genre terms is probably Mothra vs. Godzilla.

EDIT: Wow, LSD and I were typing up very similar responses simultaneously. :)
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cheadle
Young Farmer

Post by Cheadle »

That's trippy. You fellas are sync'd up. haha

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzilla (1954) although that's quite obvious and GMK are notable examples.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Depends on who you ask. Critics would definitely say Gojira '54 and Shin Gojira are the best. A lot of fans would place GMK and some of the Showa classics, especially Mothra vs. Godzilla, at the same level or above Shin. Godzilla vs. Biollante is also held in high regard by many fans. Really, the original film is the only one that is universally loved and respected as a true cinematic masterpiece; as great and as widely loved as they are, GMK and Shin definitely have their critics.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

For my money: Gojira, Mothra, and Mothra vs Godzilla would be the holy trinity. It's those three that not only defined the genre, but are also the most consistently high quality films.

GMK and Shin have their moments, but they're weighed down by some severe flaws as well.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gojira may be a beloved classic but Shin has got all the awards. Not saying Shin is better but it definitely has more accolades. I don't know if a single other Godzilla film can say that. Its also a cultural thing. Japan doesn't seem to notice or care about Satomi's shoddy English or the terrible American actors for example, something that western audiences would clearly have problems with. Most people outside the fandom would still largely deride even classics like Mothra vs Godzilla no matter how well made it actually is. Only 54 and Shin have been able to largely push past that stigma.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Generally held, i'd say 54 and Shin have that title in the bag. Fandom wise alone? I'm sure tons of fans would say Return of Godzilla would be up their and like TLK said, Mothra vs. Godzilla. And of course, GMK.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Gojira may be a beloved classic but Shin has got all the awards. Not saying Shin is better but it definitely has more accolades.
Not to discredit Shin but that might be because there are far more awards for it to grab, and far fewer Japanese features to compete against (there were several hundred Japanese features in 1954; I doubt the Japanese studios produced 100 live action films in 2016).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Yeah but when you realise that gojira lost best picture to seven samurai the points kind of moot.
He Jock it Made of Steel

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

True. There is, as they say, no shame in being beaten by the best.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I would put Gojira, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, GMK, & Shin Godzilla as the five best.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I would put Gojira, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, GMK, & Shin Godzilla as the five best.
That's a tough list to argue with.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

As far as plots go,the solo godzilla films like 54,84 and shin are probably the best ones due to their seriousness and being more grounded, plus they are the only ones where godzilla feels like a genuine threat in my opinion.

If we are going for VS movies, Id say mothra vs godzilla, terror of mechagodzilla , gmk and Biollante

On side note, the original Mothra is one of tohos best
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Depends on what you consider to be the best. Are you looking for the most well made or are you looking for what describes Godzilla.

If I had to give a film that I feel is a commutative take on what Godzilla is I'd say GTTHM. If you want the most well made one go With Gojira. If you want what I feel is the best overall I'd say Mothra vs Godzilla.

Godzilla's franchise has lasted so long and changed the way character is and how it touched different people it really depends on how you want to introduce people.

I feel this is a list that you wouldn't go wrong with

-Gojira/KOTM
`Mothra vs Godzilla
`GTTHM
`Return of Godzilla
`Godzilla vs Biollante
-GMK

These 6 really seem like strong entries but maybe you could knock GTTHM off this list.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image