Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

Post by Voyager »

When people complain about how they’re bringing Gabara back. I like Gabara.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:36 am When people complain about how they’re bringing Gabara back. I like Gabara.
Who's complaining about Gabara? I thought he had a surprisingly warm reception.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Yeah even in something like YouTube comments people seem happy Gabara is returning. Or pleasantly surprised.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

They're bringing Gabara back?!?!?
Edit: I'm a potato, I forgot he popped up in the SP trailer. Still hype though.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I’m not gonna say who, but at some point a user said “let’s face it, all the Toho movies are trash.” Yeah, no. It’s true that most of the Godzilla films are not great movies, and several aren’t even good. But there are a few diamonds that, when taken in the context of the era like any other vintage film (ie overlooking things like fuzzy sound quality and unconvincing effects) stand up next to other films just fine. For example, I would put the original Mothra vs Godzilla on equal footing with the best of the sci-fi/action/fantasy genres. It is so imaginative and effective, with unforgettable imagery and music.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LockBite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 am I’m not gonna say who, but at some point a user said “let’s face it, all the Toho movies are trash.” Yeah, no. It’s true that most of the Godzilla films are not great movies, and several aren’t even good. But there are a few diamonds that, when taken in the context of the era like any other vintage film (ie overlooking things like fuzzy sound quality and unconvincing effects) stand up next to other films just fine. For example, I would put the original Mothra vs Godzilla on equal footing with the best of the sci-fi/action/fantasy genres. It is so imaginative and effective, with unforgettable imagery and music.
I don’t know who said this, but why do I have the feeling it was in the Monsterverse forum?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:55 am
LockBite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 am I’m not gonna say who, but at some point a user said “let’s face it, all the Toho movies are trash.” Yeah, no. It’s true that most of the Godzilla films are not great movies, and several aren’t even good. But there are a few diamonds that, when taken in the context of the era like any other vintage film (ie overlooking things like fuzzy sound quality and unconvincing effects) stand up next to other films just fine. For example, I would put the original Mothra vs Godzilla on equal footing with the best of the sci-fi/action/fantasy genres. It is so imaginative and effective, with unforgettable imagery and music.
I don’t know who said this, but why do I have the feeling it was in the Monsterverse forum?
Spoiler:
you are perceptive
But let’s focus on the opinions themselves rather than singling people out lol.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LockBite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 am I’m not gonna say who, but at some point a user said “let’s face it, all the Toho movies are trash.”
Direct me towards who said that and they will swiftly be banished :twisted:

(I’m kidding)
It’s true that most of the Godzilla films are not great movies
Highly dependent on what you consider a good or bad movie. I think each Godzilla movie, at least always manages to do something interesting or unique that’s deserving of some respect and you can see some genuine quality behind. They’re unique and special films.

The showa era, has such beautiful cinematography, costumed and set design, and it’s clear there’s a lot of thought and effort put into them!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:16 am Highly dependent on what you consider a good or bad movie. I think each Godzilla movie, at least always manages to do something interesting or unique that’s deserving of some respect and you can see some genuine quality behind. They’re unique and special films.

The showa era, has such beautiful cinematography, costumed and set design, and it’s clear there’s a lot of thought and effort put into them!
Heavily agree with this. I think modern audiences have a very limited perception of what constitutes a "good" movie (and frankly western audiences have a very skewed bias against Godzilla...and really any movie made before 1990 at this point, haha) and of the entire series there would only be a handful of Godzilla films I think are genuinely terrible. Even stuff like Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus I can see sincere value in as enjoyable "popcorn" entertainment.

It's fine to not like the movies, but it does genuinely annoy me the level of flippant disrespect the filmmakers receive. Casuals treat and disregard the likes of Honda, Tsuburaya, Fukuda, Nakano, Yuasa, and many others as inept buffoons who were just screwing around behind a camera with no clue as to what they were doing. Which is quite the opposite of the truth and really disrespectful to innovative filmmakers who created an entire genre and style in Japan, and really, the whole world.
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 am It’s true that most of the Godzilla films are not great movies, and several aren’t even good.
Considering that 90% of everything ever made is crap, the fact that the Godzilla series contains any great movies and even more than a small handful of good ones makes it a pretty big achievement.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

eabaker wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 am
LockBite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 am It’s true that most of the Godzilla films are not great movies, and several aren’t even good.
Considering that 90% of everything ever made is crap, the fact that the Godzilla series contains any great movies and even more than a small handful of good ones makes it a pretty big achievement.
I’m not meaning to dunk on this series at all. I don’t know of a single franchise with more than 4 back-to-back good movies.
Last edited by LockBite on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Funny enough Toy Story is probably one of the most solid series overall in terms of consistent quality.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:09 am
eabaker wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 am
I’m not meaning to dunk on this series at all. I don’t know of a single franchise with more than 4 back-to-back good movies.
I know. I was agreeing with you. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

godjacob wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 am Funny enough Toy Story is probably one of the most solid series overall in terms of consistent quality.
Oh shit, yeah Toy Story. Regardless of what you think of your least favorite of those, it’s tough to argue that it’s less than a good movie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:38 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:16 am Highly dependent on what you consider a good or bad movie. I think each Godzilla movie, at least always manages to do something interesting or unique that’s deserving of some respect and you can see some genuine quality behind. They’re unique and special films.

Heavily agree with this. I think modern audiences have a very limited perception of what constitutes a "good" movie (and frankly western audiences have a very skewed bias against Godzilla...and really any movie made before 1990 at this point, haha) and of the entire series there would only be a handful of Godzilla films I think are genuinely terrible. Even stuff like Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus I can see sincere value in as enjoyable "popcorn" entertainment.

It's fine to not like the movies, but it does genuinely annoy me the level of flippant disrespect the filmmakers receive. Casuals treat and disregard the likes of Honda, Tsuburaya, Fukuda, Nakano, Yuasa, and many others as inept buffoons who were just screwing around behind a camera with no clue as to what they were doing. Which is quite the opposite of the truth and really disrespectful to innovative filmmakers who created an entire genre and style in Japan, and really, the whole world.
The eras all get their share of criticism, but you can't say they didn't try to make good movies. The majority do succeed at creativity, style, or music score, and the men and women that make them put hard work into them. The late Showa era had their budgets slashed, but they put heart and soul into those movies. I've heard some say the writing for some of the Heisei films suffer, but they had some fine special effects sequences and stories. Overall, each film offers something to enjoy, even if it is just a fun movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Things became a lot more fun to me when I subscribed to this view point -
Guillermo del Toro wrote:The sci-fi and fantasy novelist Theodore Sturgeon said 90 percent of everything science fiction is crud because 90 percent of everything is crud. That's Sturgeon's law. Well, del Toro's law is that 10 percent of everything is great.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tbeasley wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:40 pm Things became a lot more fun to me when I subscribed to this view point -
Guillermo del Toro wrote:The sci-fi and fantasy novelist Theodore Sturgeon said 90 percent of everything science fiction is crud because 90 percent of everything is crud. That's Sturgeon's law. Well, del Toro's law is that 10 percent of everything is great.
I wonder why Del Toro opted for the word "crud" rather than "crap."

Tyrant_Liz
Ronin

Post by Tyrant_Liz »

For me, one of the most annoying opinions a fan can have about Godzilla is that Godzilla must be presented in a certain way in order for it to be "Godzilla". Considering how many years Godzilla has been around, how many incarnations of the character there are, and how many different precedents have been set, it hits me as somewhat arrogant and one dimensional to need the character to adhere to an uber-strict set of criteria (Within reason. This doesn't apply to something like Gino, which is so different it's virtually unrecognizable as Godzilla).

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

“Guys guys! [Insert Goji Design here] is objectively the best Godzilla design there ever was and ever will be! Reason 1: It’s a good mix of western sensibilities and the classical style of Toh-” Man shut the fuck up.

How can you say that it’s the best design there ever will be? Also, calling your favourite design the ‘objective best’ is really dumb (Yeah, I’ve done it with Mosu, but only in response to someone else calling their favourite design the objective best, so only really being parodic).

This little scenario I fabricated is a mix of opinion I’ve seen on the forums lately and the opinions of the redditors over at the fest-hole known as r/GODZILLA. If there is a part of my quote that seems off to those who holds these opinions, it is most likely from r/GODZILLA, such as the “ever will be!”
For Emperor and Empire!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

r/GODZILLA is a complete and utter cesspool. But also a great sourc of comedy because man does it have some takes :lol:
Reddit in general has a tendency of essentially creating opinion echo-chambers where basic preferences are treated as fact that everyone must agree with. Granted that can be said about social media as a whole but for some reason it's really prevalent there in particular.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.