Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Let me put in my take on Minilla 2004.

The one thing I really like about this version of the original son of Godzilla is that he's the right size for once, in relation to his father. As we all know, baby dinosaurs were very tiny compared to adult ones. The 1960s version of Minilla wasn't done this way, perhaps because Toho either didn't think of it or didn't have the ability to do it at the time.

The one thing that the 1960s Minilla in Son of Godzilla did do right was show an adult dinosaur (i.e, Godzilla) as a nurturing parent, carefully tending its young until they were old enough to leave the nest - and that was decades before they figured it out in the real world. So in that respect, the Showa Godzilla series was much ahead of its time.

I also remember seeing something somewhere that said Minilla was going to be put into the IDW Godzilla mainstream storyline. I'd have loved to see if they were going to use the 1960s version or the 2004 one, and I really would've liked to see Minilla grow up normally and eventually become an adult Godzilla. Oh well, I guess we'll never know one way or another.
Get your paleontology opinions out of my Godzilla films.
Both the same films you're talking about have giant spiders and aliens with matrix powers.

That is one thing that annoys me. They're fantastical films about fantastical beasts, not intended to be scrutinized or analyzed by how scientifically accurate they are to scientific thoughts decades later. The whole premise of the showa series, and most of the entries, are that Godzilla and his fellow creatures are something beyond human science and understanding. In fact, the fact that Godzilla draws inspiration from dinosaurs, was never even important as originally there were many different concepts of what Godzilla might have looked like, some of them definitely being based off of dinosaurs.
Okay, sorry if I made you mad here.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Let me put in my take on Minilla 2004.

The one thing I really like about this version of the original son of Godzilla is that he's the right size for once, in relation to his father. As we all know, baby dinosaurs were very tiny compared to adult ones. The 1960s version of Minilla wasn't done this way, perhaps because Toho either didn't think of it or didn't have the ability to do it at the time.

The one thing that the 1960s Minilla in Son of Godzilla did do right was show an adult dinosaur (i.e, Godzilla) as a nurturing parent, carefully tending its young until they were old enough to leave the nest - and that was decades before they figured it out in the real world. So in that respect, the Showa Godzilla series was much ahead of its time.

I also remember seeing something somewhere that said Minilla was going to be put into the IDW Godzilla mainstream storyline. I'd have loved to see if they were going to use the 1960s version or the 2004 one, and I really would've liked to see Minilla grow up normally and eventually become an adult Godzilla. Oh well, I guess we'll never know one way or another.
Get your paleontology opinions out of my Godzilla films.
Both the same films you're talking about have giant spiders and aliens with matrix powers.

That is one thing that annoys me. They're fantastical films about fantastical beasts, not intended to be scrutinized or analyzed by how scientifically accurate they are to scientific thoughts decades later. The whole premise of the showa series, and most of the entries, are that Godzilla and his fellow creatures are something beyond human science and understanding. In fact, the fact that Godzilla draws inspiration from dinosaurs, was never even important as originally there were many different concepts of what Godzilla might have looked like, some of them definitely being based off of dinosaurs.
Okay, sorry if I made you mad here.
Very mad :twisted:

(not mad at all)
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Oh, good! I'm so glad.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

That Universal should buy out Criterion so the Japanese KKVG will never again be on a “bonus features” disc...or something.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

MaxRebo320 wrote:That Universal should buy out Criterion so the Japanese KKVG will never again be on a “bonus features” disc...or something.
Are some fans actually saying that? :lol: I'm just happy to have finally seen the Japanese version, because I have a newfound appreciation for a film I once deemed a weak entry in the series.

Added in 23 days 9 hours 27 minutes 49 seconds:
Not too common here on TK, but a lot of fans on other forums, and at G-Fest, seem to be of the opinion that Space Godzilla is the ultimate Godzilla villain and... no. He was the villain in one piece of dogshit movie, which failed to make him remotely menacing or interesting despite his impressive array of powers, and then he was the big bad in an equally shitty video game where he wasn't even a good character. Spacey can get his ass in line behind King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, Hedorah, Gigan, Biollante and Destoroyah at the very least. Hell, I might even think Orga is a better villain. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I think considering Space Godzilla a top-tier Godzilla villain is the kind of opinion held almost exclusively by younger and more casual fans.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Yes, his movie is dogshit, but in terms of concept I can totally accept Spacegodzilla as a top-tier Godzilla villain. Maybe not the top, but right up there with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. His design has the potential to be all kinds of cool if handled by a better special effects team, and he already has the power to hold his own against multiple monsters at once. His goal of remaking the Earth in his own crystalline image is unique among Toho kaiju, and (again) with better effects could create some incredible imagery. Imagine a multi-kaiju alliance trying to attack him as he transforms Tokyo into a jagged crystal fortress, huge walls and spires erupting from the Earth to block off their advance, a labyrinth forming to confuse them, cages bursting into being to entrap them. He could fill the air with storms of beams and flying crystal shards, and just come across as this living apocalypse. Or his mental powers could be played up, giving us the unique idea of a telepathic kaiju mastermind capable of corrupting or psychologically torturing his enemies. Toho just needs to give the guy another chance.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

JAGzilla wrote:^ Yes, his movie is dogshit, but in terms of concept I can totally accept Spacegodzilla as a top-tier Godzilla villain. Maybe not the top, but right up there with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. His design has the potential to be all kinds of cool if handled by a better special effects team, and he already has the power to hold his own against multiple monsters at once. His goal of remaking the Earth in his own crystalline image is unique among Toho kaiju, and (again) with better effects could create some incredible imagery. Imagine a multi-kaiju alliance trying to attack him as he transforms Tokyo into a jagged crystal fortress, huge walls and spires erupting from the Earth to block off their advance, a labyrinth forming to confuse them, cages bursting into being to entrap them. He could fill the air with storms of beams and flying crystal shards, and just come across as this living apocalypse. Or his mental powers could be played up, giving us the unique idea of a telepathic kaiju mastermind capable of corrupting or psychologically torturing his enemies. Toho just needs to give the guy another chance.
I just wish he wasn't called "Space Godzilla."

Biollante and Orga got different names, despite technically being clones of Godzilla. :?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

^^I don't think you can rank Space Godzilla as a top tier Godzilla villain based on your concept of how to make him cool. To be clear, I like your idea, I'd be all for seeing it in a movie, but it hasn't actually happened and, as it stands, Space Godzilla's biggest accomplishment is throwing Moguera around with his tail.

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I just wish he wasn't called "Space Godzilla."
Why the hell not "Crystal Godzilla"? It's not an amazing name, but it's certainly better than Space Godzilla. I think he needs a new name before I can actually take him seriously.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:^^I don't think you can rank Space Godzilla as a top tier Godzilla villain based on your concept of how to make him cool. To be clear, I like your idea, I'd be all for seeing it in a movie, but it hasn't actually happened and, as it stands, Space Godzilla's biggest accomplishment is throwing Moguera around with his tail.

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I just wish he wasn't called "Space Godzilla."
Why the hell not "Crystal Godzilla"? It's not an amazing name, but it's certainly better than Space Godzilla. I think he needs a new name before I can actually take him seriously.
Fair. But no, you can't change his name. He's Spacegodzilla, and the name sucks, but that is what it is, now.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I just wish he wasn't called "Space Godzilla."

Biollante and Orga got different names, despite technically being clones of Godzilla. :?
I like that he's just called "Space Godzilla," more in the tradition of "Mechagodzilla."

Biollante and Orga were more distinct creatures/characters. The core concepts were not "what if Godzilla, but..." as they were with MG and SG. With the latter two, Toho gave us exactly what it says on the tin.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

"Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is the worst Millennium movie."
:roll:
Not sure how that's possible when Tokyo SOS exists...
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ This. Megaguirus is bad, but at least it's fun and has some original action sequences. Tokyo SOS just lazily retreads ground we've already covered, and I remember it being pretty dull.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tokyo SOS is a retread that doesn't take many risks... but I'll happily take that over the mess that is Final Wars.

I don't know if it's the way it's shot, the soundtrack, the story or a mix of those factors, but I remember when I last watched Final Wars I got the distinct impression that it didn't even feel like real movie.

Tokyo SOS is at least fine if you want an overly long monster fight and nothing more. I see it as the modern day Godzilla vs Gigan in that sense: does nothing new, but fine as popcorn entertainment.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Once again, this. I forgot about Final Wars, and yes, it is the bottom of the barrel. :lol:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly Tokyo S.O.S is much worse than Final Wars. At least I can have fun with the latter!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tyrantgoji wrote:Honestly Tokyo S.O.S is much worse than Final Wars. At least I can have fun with the latter!
Yeah, I pretty much hate Final Wars, but at least hate is a response of some kind. Tokyo S.O.S. doesn't even have enough to it to merit that. Final Wars is obnoxious, but obnoxiousness isn't the worst sin a movie can commit; dullness is.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Godzilla fans that think Final Wars is a bad movie.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Godzilla fans that think Final Wars is a bad movie.
It is a bad movie.

But I don't get why people have to defend it so much. I've accepted it's a bad film but that doesn't mean I don't like parts of it or I can't get some enjoyment out of it.

I think Final Wars is what most casual fans think the Godzilla franchise is, mindless monsters fighting and braindead mayhem. It's the type of thing that praise lowers the bar for the Godzilla series higher accomplishments.

Some of the action and way things are framed are really good though:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I think Final Wars is one of the series higher accomplishments.

With the exception of the golden standard characters like Serizawa, Emiko, Yamane and The Venusian Princess, If you think about it the mutant has a better story arc than most of the characters from the Showa era.

And Captain Gordon is a more memorable screen presence than many human characters in the franchise.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: And Captain Gordon is a more memorable screen presence than many human characters in the franchise.
Well... memorable because he's hammy AF.

But, I mean, so is beloved Mr. Tako. :ninja:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.