Godzilla is Why Art is Important

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Godzilla is Why Art is Important

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Recently, I was thinking about how Godzilla has had an impact on my life and I realized how Godzilla is pretty much a textbook example of why art is important. This may sound like a very silly thing on the surface level, but I do think art`s role and importance in society is underappreciated and relegated to something that "should be beautiful". I think however, that the Godzilla franchise proves that art can be a positive force in the world, and transcend cultures.

What I mean by this, is that if I had not grown up on these films, I would have never really thought much of Nuclear Bombs, testing or world issues. As a child of course, I was interested in the films because there was a "big dinosaur", but as I got older an started to understand things more so did my appreciation for the films messages. Godzilla opened me up to a world I would have never understood prior.

While I am not Japanese, and I never experienced Hiroshima or anything, I believe that the Godzilla franchise gave me a peek into the horrors of nuclear weapons. A peek. A peek is just a peek, but it is enough to emphasize and sympathize with what had happened. It made me realize that power art, transcends race and ethnic backgrounds, or even language barriers that others would completely never be able to understand. While I`m using Godzilla as an example here, certainly more art is capable of doing it. It`s why Cloverfield is an important film to someone that lived in NYC during 9/11. While many others won't understand fully, many people can now at least have a semblance of an idea of what happened. This of course just doesn't apply to monster flicks, but pretty much any film. I can assume the same things applies to films like Schindler`s List and other such films about tragedy. And while yes, facts are always important, I think sometimes the emotional route can really make someone interpret or understand something better then simply reading about it; Godzilla rampaging through Tokyo and setting it on fire, as we cut to the mother cuddling her children, and the next day aftermath, has more of an impact then simply X amount of people died from the atomic bomb; or at least gave me an entryway into understanding it. Sometimes these days, when we read something in history, we really can`t understand it. This is why art is so vital in understanding history.

And while yeah, the Godzilla series got more Outlandish, the films, despite what people say, never completely dropped their social relevancy. Yeah, Godzilla vs. MG2 is pretty much braindead, but films like Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, G1984, Godzilla vs. Biollante, GMK, and of course Shin, all had some tie-in to current social issues. And many of them, in fact, are Kaiju Kino 8-) .
Spoiler:
this right here is why I can't stand the idea of people saying "oh it`s just a kaiju film, it`s supposed to be dumb", or "can't you just accept you're supposed to clap when Godzilla destroys Boston?"
And Godzilla, was also my first exposure to foreign films, or Japanese culture in general. I currently live here in Japan, and credit where credit is due, Godzilla had a big impact on that. I don't just mean, "Hey I like big monsters so I'm going to move to Japan", I mean it in that watching films with people that LOOK DIFFERENT then me, had a big impact on my socialization as a child. It made me grow up with the idea of that "white doesn't equal default" and also "hey, there`s other countries out there". I think also, that despite how silly this might seem, seeing Glenn kissing Namikawa as a five year old, probably had an impact on my views of interracial relationships being a completely normal thing.

I remember my dad bringing home a subtitled, possibly bootleg in retrospect, version of Mothra vs. Godzilla when I was maybe 5 or 6. I think also growing up on these films, made me realize that good films are timeless, I don't really segregate films into OLD MOVIES. While I couldn't watch it as a child, I wasn't able to fully read, yet alone read subtitles then, this was my first challenge of "not everything in the world is catered to you". I think this is why I see value in having more diverse films, multicultural films, and more "foreign films", both inside and outside of your own individual culture .It challenged my beliefs as a child. I`m more comfortable in being uncomfortable. In late HS and College I would of course go on to study Japanese, and eventually move there. I hope that if I ever become a parent, I can expose my children to other things outside their respective culture, so that they have the ability to understand and see the world from a unique perspective.

To be clear, I wasn`t thinking of any of this as a child, but as an adult I can see clearly how the franchise impacted me. I hope that all art, be it literature or cinema, can have the same impact on others as it did on me. I hope this also explains why I get so routinely annoyed by people on this forum, when they bog Godzilla down to a big dinosaur that HAS TO FIGHT another monster. This applies to film in general. Of course its fine to enjoy a film thats fun: I love it when Godzilla fights Rodan, Angurius, and King Shisa in Godzilla Final Wars, and I like a lot of "dumb movies" like John Wick or the MCU, but I`m saying don`t be the Jabroni that tells someone, "it`s just a movie bro, you should relax," when they clearly have some deep intellectual or emotional investment in something.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Godzilla is Why Art is Important

Post by Dr. Professor »

I don't really have anything to add to this, but, uh, this is a really good post.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think also, that despite how silly this might seem, seeing Glenn kissing Namikawa as a five year old, probably had an impact on my views of interracial relationships being a completely normal thing.
WMAF propaganda....

But yeah, great write up. The Godzilla series is such an easy example of how culture can permeate art and provide others with a viewpoint into it. The fact that people still enjoy certain movies beyond the big dinosaurs and explosions is a testament to what they (and good films in general) can do. It's odd how certain fans always push for the lowering of standards and end up reinforcing the image that none of these movies provide anything outside of spectacle. There's plenty to take in and think about. Is Mothra vs Godzilla high-brow revolutionary cinema? I don't think so, but it still has something to offer to it's viewers.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's just a movie, bro, you should relax. :roll:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Sometimes these days, when we read something in history, we really can`t understand it. This is why art is so vital in understanding history.
This is very true. But (and I know you weren't implying otherwise) it should be said that reading the history is still essential for gaining an accurate understanding. Case in point, I was reading a book on medieval warfare a few months back, and it was filled with art, much of it from the medieval period. But with almost every picture, the author's captions would have to point out that "most of these men should not actually be wearing armor" or "this style of armor did not yet exist when this battle took place" or "these infantry should be using pikes rather than swords." You have to make sure you're not taking the art too literally. Not that history books are 100% reliable either, of course. But yes, art can be extremely helpful for capturing the general idea of historical events.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Really wish we would get more posts like this and less "Couldn't X kaiju beat z kaiju?" or "when [insert kaiju] from NECA?" Well said dude

Dino4ex
Samurai

Post by Dino4ex »

This is a great post. Reminds me why I come back to these films time after time.
Giant Carnivorous Ants

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I'm so glad there's someone like you on these forums, finally some substance.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Man, LSD Jellyfish out here bringing some heart into the discussion.

Great post, and shows how a lot of the classic films and other one offs have stood out compared to the ones of lesser quality. I figured there's a reason something captures my eyes besides monster fights. Well said.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Great write up.

For me, Godzilla was one of the first things I ever saw (along with Star Wars, King Kong, The Dark Crystal, and the Harryhausen films) that truly got me interested in how movies were made.

I always knew Godzilla wasn't real, but even at four years old, it fascinated me to find out how they brought all these creatures to life on the screen.

Now I didn't pursue a film career at all, but I imagine most everybody that works in film had something that inspired them to get into it, and I can seem something as oddly unique as Godzilla being an inspiration to people. I mean when I hear Brad Pitt say War of the Gargantuas was an inspiration to him, George Lucas talk about how Godzilla was one of many influences to Star Wars, Tim Burton talk about the merits of these films, and Martin Scorsese write the foreward to Ishiro Honda's biography, I think it is safe to say that The Big Guy and the kaiju genre left an impact on film and inspired many people.

And I also feel I have to bring this up. With all the discussions in the current year about representation for minorities and women in film, I can't help but feel like I had a leg up on everybody by diving into the Godzilla films at a young age. Some of my earliest memories of watching films are the Godzilla films, so I regularly watched movies with predominantly Japanese casts, and I never saw it as anything special or unique. Just...normal. Yeah, the movies are set in Japan, the characters should be Japanese. As for women in significant roles, I saw them as reporters, scientists, survivalists, pilots, fighters, cyborgs, femme fatales, ambassadors, the moral compass, or evil alien invaders. They could be damsels in distress or the protagonist of the story, the antagonist, or the sacrificial hero that saves the day. Again, all normal to me.

So when people carry on about needing women in lead roles in film, I go "I've been watching Godzilla for over 30 years. Where have you been?".
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:WMAF propaganda....
Maybe when I was 15. :lol:
A legitimate conversation I`d be more willing to have in person then online. Not really interested in opening that can of worms though currently.

GojiDog wrote:As for women in significant roles, I saw them as reporters, scientists, survivalists, pilots, fighters, cyborgs, femme fatales, ambassadors, the moral compass, or evil alien invaders. They could be damsels in distress or the protagonist of the story, the antagonist, or the sacrificial hero that saves the day. Again, all normal to me.

So when people carry on about needing women in lead roles in film, I go "I've been watching Godzilla for over 30 years. Where have you been?".
100%.

While it`s true that a lot of kaiju films still occasionally portray women as damsels, if you compare the role of women in showa era films to those in early Hollywood productions it couldn't be more different. A lot of it also comes off as natural, because it doesn't seem to be produced with the mindset of "oh let`s have a strong female character". Godzilla films don`t They just wrote a lot of good female characters and got a lot of great roles. I think the diversity of women in kaiju films is astonishing and actually is seldom talked about. While still not fully taking on the elephant in the room, I also think that a lot of female Toho actresses portray characters that run contrary to a lot of stereotypes that Asian/Japanese Women face.

In a larger scope though, this just ties into another big positive the Godzilla series has. Because the series has such a long running history, there`s been a great variety of stories and characters told; many of them unique to that specific entry. Likewise, there`s a good age range, with characters from children to old ojiisans. And here and there, you get glimpses of non-traditional families, such as in G2000, or GXMG.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.