Top 10 Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Top 10 Godzilla Films

Post by eabaker »

While Terror of Mechagodzilla never tends to crack my top ten lists (which vacillate a bit), it's usually a close call between that and a couple of others. My favorite of its era is certainly Hedorah. But both movies have some rather stark tonal juxtapositions - in the case of Hedorah clearly intentional and employed to shock the viewer, in the case of Terror somewhat more haphazard - and stark tonal juxtapositions are often very attractive to me.

So, while I recognize problems with the construction of Terror, for me its strengths are great enough and its overall effect idiosyncratic enough that it has a special place in my heart.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I think I'd put Hedorah over Terror anyday, I absolutely love Hedorah.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stump Feet wrote:I think I'd put Hedorah over Terror anyday, I absolutely love Hedorah.
Yeah, that movie is absolutely top 10 for me, no matter how many times I revise the rankings.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Eh.... Hedorah is in my bottom 10. I'm sorry, but it's just too weird for me.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

1. Shin Godzilla
2. Godzilla x Mechagodzilla
3. Gojira
4. Godzilla vs Mothra
5. Mothra vs Godzilla
6. Destroy All Monsters
7. GMK
8. Godzilla x Megaguirus
9. Tokyo SOS
10. Final Wars

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'm still waiting for the U.S. Godzilla film and Anime Godzilla film that will make my top 10 list.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I have only one Godzilla Movie rated 5 Stars.
That is Gojira (1954) so that is easily #1

I have two movies rated 4.5 Stars.
I give the advantage to Shin Godzilla #2 and GMK #3

I have 3 movies list at 4 Stars so It makes it a bit tougher to choice. I think they could easily swap places depending on my current mood, or which one I watched more recently.
Invasion of the Astro Monster #4 Godzilla Vs Biollante #5 and Godzilla Final Wars #6.

Then I have 5 movies at 3.5 Stars. So one of them has to be dropped out of a top 10 list.
I would go with Mothra Vs Godzilla #7, Ghidorah #8, Godzilla Vs Hedorah #9, and Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah #10, with DAM just missing the top 10.

Then I have 3 at 3 Stars, 5 at 2.5, 7 at 2 Stars, 4 at 1.5 Stars, 4 at 1 Star and, 1 at .5 Stars.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Updated List

1.Godzilla 1985
2.Son of Godzilla
3.Shin Godzilla
4.Ghidrah TTHM
5.Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
6.Godzilla vs the Thing
7.Monster Zero
8.Terror of Mechagodzilla
9.Godzilla vs Biollante
10.Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla '75
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Haven't we done a list like this before?
Oh wells!
Here's my top ten Godzilla movie list
And make sure you stay till the end cause you won't believe what number 1 is!!!

10. Godzilla 2000

9. Godzilla raids again

8. GTTHM

7. Godzilla vs Hedorah

6. Mothra vs Godzilla

5. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

4. Godzillas Revenge

3. GKOTM 2019

2. Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

1. Godzilla vs Gigan.
Last edited by ScootaVaran on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I actually really like Godzilla vs Gigan. The soundtrack especially. Even though it's entirely recycled music, some of those tracks had never been in a Godzilla movie until that movie (Volcano, Storm)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Same. I mean its my only exposure to a lot of those tracks.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Top 10 Best:
1) Godzilla 1954
2) GMK
3) Mothra vs. Godzilla
4) Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
5) Terror of Mechagodzilla
6) Monster Zero
7) Shin Gojira
8) Godzilla 2000
9) Godzilla vs. Biollante
10) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2

Top 10 Favorite:
1) GMK
2) Godzilla vs. Hedorah
3) Terror of Mechagodzilla
4) Destroy All Monsters
5) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2
6) Godzilla vs. Gigan
7) Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
8) Godzilla: Final Wars
9) Godzilla 2000
10) Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

In your opinion, what makes Mechagodzilla 2 one of the best?
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

My personal favorites:

10: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
09: Gojira (1954)
08: GMK (2001)
07: Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
06: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)
05: Godzilla vs Biollante (1989)
04: Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
03: Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991)
02: Godzilla vs Destroyah (1995)
01: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 (1993)
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:My personal favorites:

10: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
09: Gojira (1954)
08: GMK (2001)
07: Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
06: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)
05: Godzilla vs Biollante (1989)
04: Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
03: Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991)
02: Godzilla vs Destroyah (1995)
01: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 (1993)
I have a teeny tiny sneaking suspicion you're at least somewhat of a Super Mechagodzilla fan. Just a little hunch.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Orichalcum wrote:In your opinion, what makes Mechagodzilla 2 one of the best?
Several things.
1) I think MG2 is the most solid of the Heisei films overall, if not the very best. I have at least one big issue with all of the other movies; 1985 is boring, Biollante has a bad ending, King Ghidorah is tonally a mess, Mothra is derivative, Space Godzilla just sucks, Destoroyah treats its villain as a gimmick. I don't have any big problems with MG2.
2) One of the biggest themes in the Godzilla series is humanity vs. nature (or, as this film says it, life vs. artificial life). I think MG2 handles this theme better than most other Godzilla films. The Kiryu Saga, for example, tries to tackle this theme and does a shoddy job.
3) I love Godzilla's portrayal in this film. After four films as the big bad, we see him take on the anti-hero role that he occupied in the mid to late 60s, which is my favorite nature for Godzilla. He's destructive, but only because he's driven by paternal instincts. Previous Heisei films just made him out to be mindlessly villainous.
4) This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I like the protagonist in MG2 better than most other Godzilla series protagonists. I like that he provides comic relief and comes off as a nerd. There are too many stoic, bland main characters in the Godzilla series.
5) Super Mechagodzilla is Godzilla's strongest foe ever and it's honestly refreshing to see a Godzilla battle where Goji's just completely outmatched. Haven't had that since Godzilla vs. Hedorah and haven't had it since this movie. Because of this, the climactic showdown in MG2 is much more riveting than in most Godzilla films. Usually it's "oh boy, how long's it gonna take Godzilla to nuke this big ugly thing?" In MG2 it's "holy crap, is Godzilla actually gonna get slaughtered?" I think it's my favorite kaiju battle in the series, honestly.
6) One of the best musical scores in the whole Godzilla series. I get genuine chills from Mechagodzilla's theme.
7) I think it has the best special effects work in the Heisei series as well, and the best in the series up until at least Godzilla 2000 (though that one had the cringey underwater scene). Maybe the best until GMK, honestly.
8) Pacing is usually a huge issue in Godzilla movies, but not here. The plot moves at a perfect pace and builds up to its climax effectively.
All in all, I think MG2 is technically impressive, enjoyable to watch, narratively well-crafted and more thought-provoking than most other Godzilla films. Not the very best, or even necessarily the best Heisei film, but worthy of the top ten in my opinion.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: I have a teeny tiny sneaking suspicion you're at least somewhat of a Super Mechagodzilla fan. Just a little hunch.
What gave you that indication?
-Dr. Asimov

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:2) One of the biggest themes in the Godzilla series is humanity vs. nature (or, as this film says it, life vs. artificial life). I think MG2 handles this theme better than most other Godzilla films.
Well, it certainly states it more explicitly than most.
4) This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I like the protagonist in MG2 better than most other Godzilla series protagonists. I like that he provides comic relief and comes off as a nerd. There are too many stoic, bland main characters in the Godzilla series.
I do find that the constant maligning of Aoki as a character in fandom these days is a little weird. While I'm not a huge fan of the movie, Aoki stands for me as one of the better protagonists of the Heisei era (for example, while I adore Biollante and overall would place in on a much higher tier than Mechagodzilla II, I find Kiriyama to be nothing but a sounding board for other characters).
8) Pacing is usually a huge issue in Godzilla movies, but not here. The plot moves at a perfect pace and builds up to its climax effectively.
And for me, the pace of this movie completely drops off after the Kyoto attack, and I don't really get excited or engaged again until Godzilla emerges for the final battle.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

And for me, the pace of this movie completely drops off after the Kyoto attack, and I don't really get excited or engaged again until Godzilla emerges for the final battle.
For me, the pacing dropped off after Godzilla's fight with Rodan and until Baby Godzilla hatched
Last edited by Gojira18 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Gojira18 wrote:For me, the pacing dropped off after Godzilla's fight with Rodan and until Baby Godzilla hatched
That's... not a very long span of time...
It's already the film with the most Godzilla screentime in the entire series!

"What, you wanted more?"
- Wong, 2019
-Dr. Asimov