Question on kaiju names

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Question on kaiju names

Postby mikelcho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:56 pm

I once saw this question in one of the editions of Video Movie Guide by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter. IIRC, it goes something like this:

"Does Japan have a Ministry of Giant Monsters that's responsible for naming all of these behemoths?"

Thoughts?

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Re: Question on kaiju names

Postby mikelcho » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Could someone please combine this one with the previous same one that I couldn't find for a while until I did?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm

mikelcho wrote:I once saw this question in one of the editions of Video Movie Guide by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter. IIRC, it goes something like this:

"Does Japan have a Ministry of Giant Monsters that's responsible for naming all of these behemoths?"

Thoughts?

If there`s a naming convention, not really. The closest thing is having something that sounds cool in English (MOSU/MOTH) and attaching ra on the end. Or adding King in the front, just because it sounds cool in Japanese.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 am

Sometimes but monsters largely already have names or are named after legends that they bare some similarity with. Mothra and Kong are already named by the islanders familiar with them or Godzilla and Varan being mistaken for local myths. Hell in most films its pretty clear where their names came from (except the rare few like Baragon who are never actually named in-film)
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:55 am

Exactly. Most monsters have names taken from legends and folklore, other groups and cultures, or get no name in the film. In WoTG, the military names the monsters, but that is the exception.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 am

Is this an in-universe or irl question?
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Return to “General Toho Films”