Godzilla Having a Mate

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm

GoWhaleTours wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Malchik wrote:Including Godzilla kids was mistake made twice in this franchise.


Does that include Godzilla Vs Destoroyah?

Minya and Zilla raptors.


I know it's a gamble, but what if we get lucky and end up with a Godzilla Junior '95-type scenario?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2224
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: albaquarky
Contact:

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby MaxRebo320 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 pm

GoWhaleTours wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Malchik wrote:Including Godzilla kids was mistake made twice in this franchise.


Does that include Godzilla Vs Destoroyah?

Minya and Zilla raptors.

But this was one of mankind's greatest accomplishments, no doubt.
Image
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

User avatar
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 am

I'm okay with the idea. Kind of telling that many people's minds immediately went to the smutty gutter on that and said "I don't want that!" when there was no reason to assume any xxx kaiju action would be shown or talked about. You can give Godzilla a mate and keep everything onscreen perfectly PG. Anyways, not sure I'd want it in an ongoing continuity, but for something like the Millennium series or Shin where's each film is disconnected, sure, let's try it out.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:06 am

Vakanai wrote:I'm okay with the idea. Kind of telling that many people's minds immediately went to the smutty gutter on that and said "I don't want that!" when there was no reason to assume any xxx kaiju action would be shown or talked about. You can give Godzilla a mate and keep everything onscreen perfectly PG. Anyways, not sure I'd want it in an ongoing continuity, but for something like the Millennium series or Shin where's each film is disconnected, sure, let's try it out.

Mothra and Godzilla's interactions in the Monsterverse so far is a great example of what could be perceived as non-smutty Kaiju romance. Some people were like Barnes and found it messed up while others like me liked it a lot. You could take some cues from this if you really portray Godzilla with a potential mate. (even if they are possibly incapable of actually mating like Mothra).
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5509
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:09 am

I wouldn't mind it. It worked with Komodothrax, so a mate or potential mate for Toho Godzilla could be done. However, it must work with the plotline of the film.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote:I'm okay with the idea. Kind of telling that many people's minds immediately went to the smutty gutter on that and said "I don't want that!" when there was no reason to assume any xxx kaiju action would be shown or talked about. You can give Godzilla a mate and keep everything onscreen perfectly PG. Anyways, not sure I'd want it in an ongoing continuity, but for something like the Millennium series or Shin where's each film is disconnected, sure, let's try it out.

Mothra and Godzilla's interactions in the Monsterverse so far is a great example of what could be perceived as non-smutty Kaiju romance. Some people were like Barnes and found it messed up while others like me liked it a lot. You could take some cues from this if you really portray Godzilla with a potential mate. (even if they are possibly incapable of actually mating like Mothra).

I loved the interaction between Godzilla and Mothra in KotM! Mothra was such a great friend and ally in that movie, easily one of the best takes on her yet in my opinion! God, I hope we get another just like her in another Monsterverse film, or Toho takes notes from this one.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote:I'm okay with the idea. Kind of telling that many people's minds immediately went to the smutty gutter on that and said "I don't want that!" when there was no reason to assume any xxx kaiju action would be shown or talked about. You can give Godzilla a mate and keep everything onscreen perfectly PG. Anyways, not sure I'd want it in an ongoing continuity, but for something like the Millennium series or Shin where's each film is disconnected, sure, let's try it out.

Mothra and Godzilla's interactions in the Monsterverse so far is a great example of what could be perceived as non-smutty Kaiju romance. Some people were like Barnes and found it messed up while others like me liked it a lot. You could take some cues from this if you really portray Godzilla with a potential mate. (even if they are possibly incapable of actually mating like Mothra).

I loved the interaction between Godzilla and Mothra in KotM! Mothra was such a great friend and ally in that movie, easily one of the best takes on her yet in my opinion! God, I hope we get another just like her in another Monsterverse film, or Toho takes notes from this one.

Finally a civil response to appreciation of Godzilla and Mothra's interactions instead of "GODZILLA X MOTHRA IS GROSS SO THEIR POSSIBLY PLATONIC INTERACTIONS ARE INHERENTLY POOP". They did a great thing with leaving their relationship vague while still keeping the tenderness in their interactions. For shippers like me, it really paints their relationship in a new light, for everyone else it provides a wonderful close friend or sibling relationship between two allies that protect the balance of the world together.
Thank you for having the thoughtfulness to interpret their relationship as friendship (and uh "allyship" for lack of a better word) instead of immediately dismissing it as gross.

In fact, even if you don't give Godzilla a mate, you could at least give him close friends, or other companions. It really fleshes Godzilla and his allies out and makes them stand out as actual characters instead of plot devices or mindless creatures. It might seem like personifying them too much, but personifying Godzilla is also necessary as he isn't just some insentient animal. He's not a straight up human but he has his own feelings, morals and sense of companionship and kinship.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby GoWhaleTours » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm

GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Mothra and Godzilla's interactions in the Monsterverse so far is a great example of what could be perceived as non-smutty Kaiju romance. Some people were like Barnes and found it messed up while others like me liked it a lot. You could take some cues from this if you really portray Godzilla with a potential mate. (even if they are possibly incapable of actually mating like Mothra).

I loved the interaction between Godzilla and Mothra in KotM! Mothra was such a great friend and ally in that movie, easily one of the best takes on her yet in my opinion! God, I hope we get another just like her in another Monsterverse film, or Toho takes notes from this one.

Finally a civil response to appreciation of Godzilla and Mothra's interactions instead of "GODZILLA X MOTHRA IS GROSS SO THEIR POSSIBLY PLATONIC INTERACTIONS ARE INHERENTLY POOP". They did a great thing with leaving their relationship vague while still keeping the tenderness in their interactions. For shippers like me, it really paints their relationship in a new light, for everyone else it provides a wonderful close friend or sibling relationship between two allies that protect the balance of the world together.
Thank you for having the thoughtfulness to interpret their relationship as friendship (and uh "allyship" for lack of a better word) instead of immediately dismissing it as gross.

In fact, even if you don't give Godzilla a mate, you could at least give him close friends, or other companions. It really fleshes Godzilla and his allies out and makes them stand out as actual characters instead of plot devices or mindless creatures. It might seem like personifying them too much, but personifying Godzilla is also necessary as he isn't just some insentient animal. He's not a straight up human but he has his own feelings, morals and sense of companionship and kinship.

I’m not even a shipper and I’m sick of these people acting like everything they see with Godzilla and Mothra in it is disgusting lewd porn.
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

User avatar
Malchik
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2118
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Malchik » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm

GuardianGhido wrote:I loved the interaction between Godzilla and Mothra in KotM! Mothra was such a great friend and ally in that movie, easily one of the best takes on her yet in my opinion!

Considering Mothra had such little screen time and essentially made the exact same sacrifice as Fire Rodan did in GvsMGII, I never considered her actions other than helping the lesser evil destroy a greater evil. I feel there is just as much projection here as the people you criticize.
Last edited by Malchik on Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11158
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby eabaker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:10 pm

For those who really want Godzilla to have a mate, I'm curious what you see as the ultimate narrative and thematic goal? Like, what actual story potential do you see in this? How would it affect the drama?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10200
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:13 pm

GoWhaleTours wrote:I’m not even a shipper and I’m sick of these people acting like everything they see with Godzilla and Mothra in it is disgusting lewd porn.


I know, it's like they go REEEEEEEEE!
Image

User avatar
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Malchik wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I loved the interaction between Godzilla and Mothra in KotM! Mothra was such a great friend and ally in that movie, easily one of the best takes on her yet in my opinion!

Considering Mothra had such little screen time and essentially made the exact same sacrifice as Fire Rodan did in GvsMGII, I never considered her actions other than helping the lesser evil destroy a greater evil. I feel there is just as much projection here as the people you criticize.

Um, you quoted what I said instead of what GG said, and I don't remember criticizing anyone. I just really loved this version of Mothra.

Also calling MV Godzilla the lesser evil is kind of weird because he isn't evil. Pretty much the only actions he's taken is to go after kaiju threats. Plus it was implied that this version of Godzilla and Mothra (at least their species) has an ancient symbiotic relationship.

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
eabaker wrote:For those who really want Godzilla to have a mate, I'm curious what you see as the ultimate narrative and thematic goal? Like, what actual story potential do you see in this? How would it affect the drama?

There's lots of ways you can utilize a mate in fiction. Have either Godzilla or his mate be in danger so the other has to come to the rescue, have Godzilla start a family by showing an egg and later a son/daughter that needs protecting, have an ally to go into battle with against a big foe. There's plenty of options.

Added in 8 minutes 5 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Mothra and Godzilla's interactions in the Monsterverse so far is a great example of what could be perceived as non-smutty Kaiju romance. Some people were like Barnes and found it messed up while others like me liked it a lot. You could take some cues from this if you really portray Godzilla with a potential mate. (even if they are possibly incapable of actually mating like Mothra).

I loved the interaction between Godzilla and Mothra in KotM! Mothra was such a great friend and ally in that movie, easily one of the best takes on her yet in my opinion! God, I hope we get another just like her in another Monsterverse film, or Toho takes notes from this one.

Finally a civil response to appreciation of Godzilla and Mothra's interactions instead of "GODZILLA X MOTHRA IS GROSS SO THEIR POSSIBLY PLATONIC INTERACTIONS ARE INHERENTLY POOP". They did a great thing with leaving their relationship vague while still keeping the tenderness in their interactions. For shippers like me, it really paints their relationship in a new light, for everyone else it provides a wonderful close friend or sibling relationship between two allies that protect the balance of the world together.
Thank you for having the thoughtfulness to interpret their relationship as friendship (and uh "allyship" for lack of a better word) instead of immediately dismissing it as gross.

In fact, even if you don't give Godzilla a mate, you could at least give him close friends, or other companions. It really fleshes Godzilla and his allies out and makes them stand out as actual characters instead of plot devices or mindless creatures. It might seem like personifying them too much, but personifying Godzilla is also necessary as he isn't just some insentient animal. He's not a straight up human but he has his own feelings, morals and sense of companionship and kinship.


To be fair, while I'm not a shipper, it's not like I'd be all that against Mothra x Godzilla either. I mean, there's been weirder things in this franchise. Besides, even if their relationship was of the more romantic variety it's not like the series is going to suddenly become kaiju porno. I just think it's weird that whenever something like this is brought up people's minds go to giant monster sex. It's just a weird gut reaction to something we will never see on screen. Most we'd ever see is just the two being near each other and helping each other out like in the movie. And I don't think people needed to wash their eyes out with what we saw on screen this time. I mean, mate, friends, allies, I just assume the more heroic Showa styled Goji should have other monsters on his side.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11158
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby eabaker » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:00 am

Vakanai wrote:
eabaker wrote:For those who really want Godzilla to have a mate, I'm curious what you see as the ultimate narrative and thematic goal? Like, what actual story potential do you see in this? How would it affect the drama?

There's lots of ways you can utilize a mate in fiction. Have either Godzilla or his mate be in danger so the other has to come to the rescue, have Godzilla start a family by showing an egg and later a son/daughter that needs protecting, have an ally to go into battle with against a big foe. There's plenty of options.


I'm not asking about plot utility; I'm asking about the fundamental story needs that would motivate the inclusion of the character in the first place.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Having a female member of Godzilla's kind so there's an appeal to little girls might be major bank for Toho. Might.

Fundamental story need for such an idea? I'm not an advocate of giving Godzilla a damsel so I dunno. Probably nothing really.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Malchik
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2118
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Malchik » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:45 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Having a female member of Godzilla's kind so there's an appeal to little girls might be major bank for Toho. Might.

Worked great for Marvel Comics.

I'm being sarcastic.

User avatar
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Vakanai » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:51 pm

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
eabaker wrote:For those who really want Godzilla to have a mate, I'm curious what you see as the ultimate narrative and thematic goal? Like, what actual story potential do you see in this? How would it affect the drama?

There's lots of ways you can utilize a mate in fiction. Have either Godzilla or his mate be in danger so the other has to come to the rescue, have Godzilla start a family by showing an egg and later a son/daughter that needs protecting, have an ally to go into battle with against a big foe. There's plenty of options.


I'm not asking about plot utility; I'm asking about the fundamental story needs that would motivate the inclusion of the character in the first place.

You're barking up the wrong tree here, I'm not a script writer. I imagine actual film writers though should be able to accomplish that.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2177
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Halley's Comet.

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:26 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Having a female member of Godzilla's kind so there's an appeal to little girls might be major bank for Toho. Might.

Fundamental story need for such an idea? I'm not an advocate of giving Godzilla a damsel so I dunno. Probably nothing really.


i mean, it kinda did work for Toho. Mothra got so popular with girls that Godzilla vs Mothra became the number 1 highest grossing film of the Heisei era of the franchise.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10200
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm just glad it seems like Godzilla is gonna have an army again like he did in the Showa films. Not counting his kids, dude hasn't had friends or allies in decades. He's almost as lonely as Gamera.

Who knows, maybe Godzilla vs Kong will have both of them leading an army of monsters against one another as they battle to decide who is the king of all monsters.
Image

User avatar
Alucard
Kwaidan
Posts: 5510
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Alucard » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Living Corpse wrote:I'm just glad it seems like Godzilla is gonna have an army again like he did in the Showa films. Not counting his kids, dude hasn't had friends or allies in decades. He's almost as lonely as Gamera.

Who knows, maybe Godzilla vs Kong will have both of them leading an army of monsters against one another as they battle to decide who is the king of all monsters.


Apparently, King Kong had heard the call of both Ghidorah AND Godzilla and he decided to not go with either. I feel like they're definitely going to give him an army of his own.
Last edited by Alucard on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
wataru wrote:It's not huge and it's white.


LIKE YO DICK!

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10200
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla Having a Mate

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Alucard wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I'm just glad it seems like Godzilla is gonna have an army again like he did in the Showa films. Not counting his kids, dude hasn't had friends or allies in decades. He's almost as lonely as Gamera.

Who knows, maybe Godzilla vs Kong will have both of them leading an army of monsters against one another as they battle to decide who is the king of all monsters.


Apparently, King Kong had heard the call of both Ghidorah AND Godzilla and he decided to not go with either. I feel like they're definitely going to give him an army of his own.


Yep, in the novel. They've even sensed each other when Godzilla has swam by Skull Island in the past but ignored each other as neither had anything the other wanted and didn't consider each other as enemies at the time. Makes me wonder what will make them change their mind in the future.
Image


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests