3D to the Max, and Development Hell

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

3D to the Max, and Development Hell

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:13 pm

I wasn`t sure where to put this, but who here on the site remembers Godzilla 3D to the Max? I mean who remembers seeing this poster, and hearing the general outline/idea and being super hyped; only to wait, and wait, and wait and wait, and then fizzle out? Does anyone remember getting super hyped and excited? Especially after the long hiatus on Godzilla films?

As silly as this sounds; I realized this made me really paranoid and question supposed film announcements until I actually see an actual trailer.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: 3D to the Max, and Development Hell

Postby Terasawa » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm

I wouldn't say I was super hyped (because it sounded pretty bad, honestly), but yes, I remember it. I'm pretty sure it directly led to Legendary's Godzilla series.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Terasawa wrote:I wouldn't say I was super hyped (because it sounded pretty bad, honestly), but yes, I remember it. I'm pretty sure it directly led to Legendary's Godzilla series.

I was like 11 or 12 at the time, so the idea of a new Godzilla film being released in my life time was a big deal. Now while it`s still awesome, It`s not so mystifying.

I remember the film was going to have some weird connection to 9/11 and I`m glad Cloverfield did that better.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 am

i remember the poster and what Deathla was supposed to look like but that's about it. everything else i know about it comes from plot's being leaked and such in modern times. the final draft of the script removed every 9/11 reference so if it did come out we wouldn't have to worry about that.

Major sssspielberg!
Samurai

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:56 am

Man, this flick was looking for American co finance. It was gonna be like a half hour imax deal with "state of the art sfx" if I recall. Godzilla fighting Deathla around the world. Godzilla flying a lot! Other than that I never saw a concept for Deathla (which I always heard was supposed to be copyright safe Hedorah) and never heard about the 9/11 references. How crazy would that have been?
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.

:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 am

I think Deathla was gonna appear from ground zero or something, but yeah what an interesting idea. Glad Banno saw that his efforts paved the way for an American Godzilla film that was pretty good.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:51 pm

I definitely remember this. I actually remember at one point it was supposed to be coming out on the same day Cloverfield was to be released, or at least the same month. Like LSD I was young and hyped out, but was very disappointed when it eventually fizzled out. Then I got good and hyped again in 2010 when Legendary announced it would be making an American Godzilla film, with that art that ultimately looked nothing like what we eventually got, with a projected release date of 2012 that soon looked increasingly unlikely with each passing day. And then finally at SDCC 2012, when news spread of that first teaser being shown in Hall H and that one grainy image of Godzilla’s silhouetted head leaked out. I think I joined here after years of lurking that very night, I was so excited.

It’s amazing how much has happened since then. Eleven years ago we were hoping against hope that a half-hour short might get made, and now we’ve had two Legendary Godzilla films - the second of which featured Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah all at once (something some people sincerely thought would never happen in a US Godzilla film for a number of reasons) - plus a Kong film set in the same universe,with a Godzilla vs Kong rematch on the way ; a new live-action Japanese film directed by the mind behind Evangelion and the VFX Director for the 90s Gamera trilogy that received widespread critical acclaim; and a trilogy of animated films that, if nothing else, were certainly a unique take on the property.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I think Deathla was gonna appear from ground zero or something, but yeah what an interesting idea. Glad Banno saw that his efforts paved the way for an American Godzilla film that was pretty good.

I think Deathla was supposed to have been an alien who awoke Godzilla by eating the rainforest he was sleeping in or something. IIRC in the early drafts (later drafts removed 9/11 references as mentioned above) the final battle was going to take place in NYC in a freak snowstorm, with Godzilla actually shielding Ground Zero with his own body against Deathla’s attacks. One of the human characters was also supposed to have explicitly lost her father in 9/11, too. Definitely a bit on the nose.

Now here’s a confession: I remember my cringy younger self typing “skreeonk Banno” more than once on a number of sites sometime around 2011. Despite the fact that I had enjoyed Hedorah very much in my childhood, I was going through an edgy phase where if something was to be cool and “mature” it had to be dark and grim and I thought of Godzilla in those same terms. As such whenever I discussed the franchise I singled out Hedorah for being one of the “silly” entries that had “ruined the true meaning of Godzilla,” and would savage anyone who suggested that a new Godzilla film resemble the Showa films in any way.

In hindsight it’s laughable how wrong I was on several counts. For one, Hedorah is definitely one of the darker Showa films and is arguably closer to the spirit of G’54 than the other films from the 70s as it’s actually a politically-minded protest film, using giant monsters to criticize pollution in the way G’54 criticized the nuclear arms race, and recently it seems many Godzilla critics have reassessed their opinions on the film as well and it seems to be more well-regarded than ever. For two, far from “ruining the franchise,” Banno is one of the people most responsible for the resurgence of Godzilla and other kaiju-related media in the past five years. And three, the new American Godzilla films depict Godzilla as a heroic Showa-style savior rather than the grimdark destroyer of humanity I had thought would be necessary for Godzilla to “make it” in the West, and are arguably better for it.

Sorry for all the rambling
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:17 am

G2000 wrote:
It’s amazing how much has happened since then. Eleven years ago we were hoping against hope that a half-hour short might get made, and now we’ve had two Legendary Godzilla films - the second of which featured Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah all at once (something some people sincerely thought would never happen in a US Godzilla film for a number of reasons) - plus a Kong film set in the same universe,with a Godzilla vs Kong rematch on the way ; a new live-action Japanese film directed by the mind behind Evangelion and the VFX Director for the 90s Gamera trilogy that received widespread critical acclaim; and a trilogy of animated films that, if nothing else, were certainly a unique take on the property.

It really is amazing, I'm grateful for all the new films. Another cool thing is there's no doubt there's been an increase of Godzilla and monster fans, shows how Godzilla, Kong, and co have remained alive for so long. I love how these characters can still mean something.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

tbeasley
JXSDF Technician

Postby tbeasley » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:00 am

SciFi Japan has an ancient article on the project's development -
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... zilla-3-d/

Also an interview with the late Banno -
Last edited by tbeasley on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

Infinite Hollywood
Ronin

Postby Infinite Hollywood » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 pm

It's crazy how Banno was able to get involved and it led directly to the Legendary Godzilla. Cool of them to mention him in the latest movie too.

Return to “General Toho Films”