Cozzilla Restored (English Subtitles)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Red Barrel
Young Farmer

Cozzilla Restored (English Subtitles)

Postby Red Barrel » Sun May 26, 2019 4:12 pm

In 1977, Italy released a colorized version of the original Godzilla film with new scenes. Geno Cuddy restored a copy of the film. I found his version right here in the Toho Kingdom forums, but the thread is locked. I added English subtitles to his version of the film so I could enjoy it, since I don't speak Italian. In this video, I go over the changes and weird history behind the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSEAYzPeiH4

G-Matt
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Cozzilla Restored (English Subtitles)

Postby G-Matt » Mon May 27, 2019 5:17 am

There's no need to make the same thread for two sections.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 am

That Geno Cuddy guy took all the credit for essentially just sharpening an existing 35mm scan, and when told that the frame-rate was off, he flipped out on people, accusing them of being racist against his art, and that they should just be glad he even bothered "restoring" it at all, constructive criticism be damned.

Oh, and he originally wanted people to pay him money in order to see his restoration, apparently. Screw this guy.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Postby GenoCuddy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Great video, thank you for the shout out.
Last edited by GenoCuddy on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:07 pm

The original thread can be read here for all to make up their own minds.

The original 35mm scan at 25fps is available on at least one private tracker, so at least it's out there for people to enjoy. And for what it's worth, the initial 2017 "restoration" involved downrezzing the source 576-line PAL telecine to 480 lines while simultaneously changing the frame rate to 29.97 (NTSC). Somewhere in the process, portions of video and audio were encoded wrong and appeared and sounded choppy. (I don't know if that's still the case in subsequent efforts.) Evidently the color and sound were adjusted too, but I haven't seen Geno's version since it first showed up and especially now that the original source file is available.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Return to “General Toho Films”