Kaiju pet peeves

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju pet peeves

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:I honestly wasn't even aware there was much stock footage in Megalon, they must've hid it really well.
The bulk of it is in Megalon's rampage, IIRC.
If you really watch carefully you can pick out a couple of spots where it's Gigan's claw destroying something instead of Megalon's drill. And of course the darned flaming Mobiloil station shows up.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

The stock footage in Megalon was done gracefully imo.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:I honestly wasn't even aware there was much stock footage in Megalon, they must've hid it really well.
The bulk of it is in Megalon's rampage, IIRC.
If you really watch carefully you can pick out a couple of spots where it's Gigan's claw destroying something instead of Megalon's drill. And of course the darned flaming Mobiloil station shows up.
Again not defending it, but that’s also an issue with the movies being made in a time where pausing a dvd or even vhs wasn’t even a concept.

The weirdest thing though, is that Gigan is IN Godzilla vs Megalon, so why not just have Gigan do that and not Megalon.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: .

The weirdest thing though, is that Gigan is IN Godzilla vs Megalon, so why not just have Gigan do that and not Megalon.
It may be because it's essentially a "Jet Jaguar vs Megalon" movie, and Godziller & Gigan were "thrown" in there. If Gigan was planned from the start, he might've been given a destruction scene. That's what I've gathered.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Monster Zero handles stock footage the best. They tried to hide it as much as possible. If it weren't for the quality of the older footage it would be completely invisible to anyone not familiar with the films they pulled clips from.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

eabaker wrote:If you really watch carefully you can pick out a couple of spots where it's Gigan's claw destroying something instead of Megalon's drill.
Thanks for mentioning this, I now remember noticing this exact thing haha
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The weirdest thing though, is that Gigan is IN Godzilla vs Megalon, so why not just have Gigan do that and not Megalon.
Because it was easier and cheaper to cut in brief shots of Gigan's claws smashing planes than filming new footage. Actually it's probably more accurate to say they cut out the "reaction shots" of Gigan and cut in a handful of shots of Megalon to the old sequence.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:It may be because it's essentially a "Jet Jaguar vs Megalon" movie, and Godziller & Gigan were "thrown" in there. If Gigan was planned from the start, he might've been given a destruction scene. That's what I've gathered.
It was a Godzilla movie from the start. See here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GvM also reused some WOTG footage during the military battle, and some GvG footage during the final battle. Gigan's buzzsaw swoops, for example.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Terasawa wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:It may be because it's essentially a "Jet Jaguar vs Megalon" movie, and Godziller & Gigan were "thrown" in there. If Gigan was planned from the start, he might've been given a destruction scene. That's what I've gathered.
Ah, I misremembered. Thanks bro.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The weirdest thing though, is that Gigan is IN Godzilla vs Megalon, so why not just have Gigan do that and not Megalon.
Because it was easier and cheaper to cut in brief shots of Gigan's claws smashing planes than filming new footage. Actually it's probably more accurate to say they cut out the "reaction shots" of Gigan and cut in a handful of shots of Megalon to the old sequence.

No no I get that. I’m saying Gigan was in the film. So why not have Gigan cannonically destroy the jet fighters. It would be stock footage, but then pure actually watching Gigan destroy them. I guess they wanted more Megalon destruction.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

kamilleblu wrote:Monster Zero handles stock footage the best. They tried to hide it as much as possible. If it weren't for the quality of the older footage it would be completely invisible to anyone not familiar with the films they pulled clips from.
Except they pulled an entire Rodan rampage scene from the original movie

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Yeah, that's about the only part of GvMZ that annoys me. Great movie overall, but there is a lot of glaring stock footage in that sequence.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

How gullible and desperate this fan base is to support very obviously sketchy fan projects. Examples include the whole Kaiju Gaiden snafu.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:How gullible and desperate this fan base is to support very obviously sketchy fan projects. Examples include the whole Kaiju Gaiden snafu.
Never heard of it......

Looked it up....doesnt look sketchy.

Can you explain it to me?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

goji89 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:How gullible and desperate this fan base is to support very obviously sketchy fan projects. Examples include the whole Kaiju Gaiden snafu.
Never heard of it......

Looked it up....doesnt look sketchy.

Can you explain it to me?
A kickstarter dedicated to interviewing and finding info on obscure and lost Kaiju films and short films. A lot of money was raised, and production began, but other then some small b roll footage of guys in suits fighting it doesn’t look like any progress has been made.

There’s a lot of theorizing that the money was taken for personal gain. A lot of botched things like this has happened within the Kaiju fandom, and realistically it’s caused by people who want some sort of “insider” to get into the obscure Japanese stuff that isn’t easily accessible abroad.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Long story short, one of the dudes working on the project took the money and ran to Japan, never to be heard from again.
Facts don't care about your feelings

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ben Shapiro wrote:Long story short, one of the dudes working on the project took the money and ran to Japan, never to be heard from again.
Pretty much. But this all ties into my weird annoyance with the western fandom, being insecure in comparison to the Japanese fandom. It’s definitely died down within the last few years, but it always annoyed me how there was “secret Kaiju knowledge”, like all the films subject in Kaiju a Gaiden, that needed something to unearth, rather then just a language barrier.

Recently TK, the mainsite, have done a fantastic job at unearthing and translating stuff is great.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzillian wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Monster Zero handles stock footage the best. They tried to hide it as much as possible. If it weren't for the quality of the older footage it would be completely invisible to anyone not familiar with the films they pulled clips from.
Monster Zero uses just over a minute of footage from the seven minute rampage sequence from Rodan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: A kickstarter dedicated to interviewing and finding info on obscure and lost Kaiju films and short films. A lot of money was raised, and production began, but other then some small b roll footage of guys in suits fighting it doesn’t look like any progress has been made.

There’s a lot of theorizing that the money was taken for personal gain. A lot of botched things like this has happened within the Kaiju fandom, and realistically it’s caused by people who want some sort of “insider” to get into the obscure Japanese stuff that isn’t easily accessible abroad.
So they got hosed? That sucks. I'm in total agreement with you here. Why send money for things like this? Im a fan and all that, but yeah, kickstarters like this should be a red flag.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

kamilleblu wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Monster Zero uses just over a minute of footage from the seven minute rampage sequence from Rodan.
And yet it's obviously from another movie since the suits don't match, hardly the best use of stock footage