First Time You Saw Each Godzilla Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GojiDog
G-Grasper

First Time You Saw Each Godzilla Movie

Post by GojiDog »

I thought this might be fun. Lets talk about the first experience we had with each Godzilla film and what our memories are of seeing these movies.
Spoiler:
Gojira (1954) = I first saw this when I was in High School at about age 16. I got a VHS copy from a friend of mine, and I set aside time that weekend to stay at home and watch it. By this point, I had heard about the uncut version of the original film and how much better it was than the English language version I grew up with. When I finally saw it, it was one of those movie going experiences that changed me. I was amazed at how bleak it was and how convincingly they portrayed everything. It is an odd comparison, but it kind of reminds me of the first time I saw The Exorcist where, yes, something like what is being portrayed probably could never happen, but after watching this movie, you almost believe that it could.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956) = By age 10, I had seen most of the Showa Godzilla films. The only ones left: Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla's Revenge, and the US version of the original film (which at the time I was not aware was actually an Americanized Re-edit). One Christmas, my brother and I got two gifts: VHS tapes Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The collection was nearing completion! Anyways, that Christmas night, we watched both films (nothing screams Merry Christmas like Kaijus, right?). I was especially happy to finally be seeing (what I thought) was the very first Godzilla movie. It was pretty much what I expected it to be, though I will always remember Raymond Burr's narration being chilling in the opening scene.

Godzilla Raids Again (1955) = I saw this not long after I saw my first Godzilla movie, and I was ready to dive head first into the series. This one was probably the most jarring to my 5 year old brain because the title screen instantly confused me. "Gigantis"....who is Gigantis? Why are they calling Godzilla by the wrong name? Why does it say Godzilla on the box, but Gigantis in the movie? As a kid, I just couldn't get passed the title. I initially thought my parents gave me the wrong tape or something. After a while, I finally sat down and watched it and I was bored out of my mind. I typically liked 50s monster movies, but this one just didn't work for me. Its a shame I didn't see this for the first time in my teens when I was into MST3K and was able to appreciate it for how silly the US edit was.

King Kong Vs. Godzilla (1962) = This was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw. I was 4 years old and already a Kong fan and my brother got a copy of the film and insisted that I watch it with him. I thought Kong would have no trouble with a big T-Rex looking thing. All he has to do is break its jaws, right? Well, I start watching the film and after I get passed the "Oooooh, Kong is in color this time!" and all of that excitement, I found myself totally getting sucked into it. I was 4 and this was more magical to me than The Wizard of Oz. The scene with the octopus was awesome (again, I was 4) and I jumped for joy at seeing Kong in another movie. I also found myself laughing at all the jokes provided in the English dub ("I don't care about your corns!", again, kid me thought this was hilarious).

But the big moment came when Godzilla finally showed up. I had seen dinosaurs before, but I'd never seen one that breaths blue fire and stomps on tanks. I was like "Okay, Godzilla is pretty cool" and then for the first confrontation between the two titans, Godzilla burns Kong and KK hightails it! I was like "Did...did he just make Kong run away!". Instead of getting upset that the monster I was a fan of ran away, I became a little traitor and immediately switched sides. Godzilla became my guy and almost 30 years later, I am still a fan. Granted, I paid for my betrayal when Kong won out in the end, but what can you do? lol.

Mothra Vs. Godzilla (1964) = It is funny how things change with time as this is widely considered to be one of the best Godzilla movies ever made, and I'm definitely in that same boat now, but in my youth, it was one of the ones I hated. In jumping into the monster fandom, up to this point I saw KK Vs. G, GRA, and a couple stand alones like Mothra and Rodan (which I loved by the way). The idea of Mothra and Godzilla appearing in the same film appealed to me and made me realize that these films were bigger than I could imagine.

But yeah, I wasn't a fan of this one. Why? Because Mothra beat Godzilla in the end, and not just any Mothra, but two baby Mothras. I was SOOOOOO upset. Try explaining to a 5 year old that Godzilla is the bad monster and has to lose. No no, I wasn't having it, and I don't think I watched this one again for a few years. At this point I was just sick of seeing Godzilla lose. I loved him, but in the end he'd always lose, and to me, he was becoming like Wile E. Coyote. But unlike goofy cartoon characters, to me, Godzilla was the best! He should win! Fortunately, the next film would start a trend that would get young me to keep watching.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster (1964) = I saw this one for the first time not long after seeing Mothra Vs. Godzilla. If crossing over two big monsters blew my mind, how about throwing Rodan into that mix, and oh wait, they also have a golden three headed space dragon too! Yeeeeees! Like I said earlier, I loved the original Rodan and seeing him face off against Godzilla was great because I loved them both, so I almost didn't care who won. But I was blown away by King Ghidorah and just thought he was unstoppable. And then the film gets to the pivotal moment where the monsters converse with each other. Its funny how weird that seems now, but as a kid, I was like "Well yeah, why wouldn't they talk to each other?". Kids just don't question stuff I guess, lol. Anyway, a moment I will never forget is when Godzilla and Rodan joined in the fight with Mothra to take down Ghidorah, I clapped and cheered like crazy (keep in mind I was watching this movie by myself with only my parents in earshot). My monster was finally the hero of his story and he finally won! I'll never forget how happy I was and that is one of the reasons I will always have a soft spot for superhero Godzilla. No matter how silly the films got, Godzilla is always fun to root for, and this was my first taste of it where I was in his corner and so was the plot of the movie.

Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero (1965) = This was actually one of the last Showa films I saw and the title caught my interest. Monster Zero? Who or what is Monster Zero? By this time, I had already seen most of the 70s films and the appeal of Godzilla movies for me had become "What wacky and awesome thing is he going to fight this time?". To make a weird comparison, I was also a wrestling fan at the time, and a big Hulk Hogan fan, and Hogan kind of had a similar appeal where I was just excited to see what weirdo monster the WWF could feed to The Hulkster next. So the name "Monster Zero" really stuck with me as I started to imagine what it might look like. Turns out the joke was on me as it turned out to be King Ghidorah. Now, I loved me some Ghidorah at that age, and yes Godzilla and Ghidorah were the only monsters depicted on the VHS cover sleeve (which should have been a clue, right?), but I thought they were just keeping the real big bad monster a secret and Ghidorah would team up with a monster like he did with Gigan. But no, it was just Ghidorah. So I was let down by that, but once I got passed that, I found myself really enjoying the film. The over the top aliens were very memorable and colorful, and I jumped for joy getting to see Rodan and Godzilla team up again. My mom also commented that she knew who Nick Adams was, so it was kind of neat that my mom and I could share some appreciation for the same actor but for completely different reasons.

Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster (1966) = This is one I did not enjoy watching as a kid. I first saw it when my brother got a VHS copy a couple years into my Godzilla fandom, and it just never clicked with me the way some of the other ones did. Again, I had seen some of the 70s films by this point and, I remember thinking "Uh, I'm pretty sure Godzilla can kill a giant lobster without even trying" and sure enough, Ebirah was never much of a match for him. One memory I do have is being SUPER TICKED at Mothra for attacking Godzilla at the end of the film. (Gee, I really had it in for Mothra, didn't I?). I was like, "you two are friends, and Godzilla wasn't going to hurt those people. He just saved them!". Now that I'm older, I understand that Godzilla wasn't strictly a full on good guy yet, but at the time, it just confused me.

One thing I do credit this movie for is how it sparked my imagination in this way. See I'm from Maryland where Hardshell Crabs are like the greatest thing on Earth. Not a summer goes by where my family isn't either attending or hosting a crab feast. Well, not long after seeing Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster, I got the brilliant idea to snitch one of the crabs out of the barrel and use it to fight my Godzilla toy as a stand in for Ebirah. And because we were going to eat it anyway, I could have Godzilla rip its limbs off and smash it to bits. Ah, good times.

Son of Godzilla (1967) = I saw this one not long after Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, so I was ready to keep rooting for the big guy. And the "Son of" idea seemed perfectly normal to me. Frankenstein, Dracula, Lassie, and Kong all had "Son of" movies, so why not Godzilla? As a youngster that also liked Disney films, this really appealed to me and proved to be one of the Godzilla films I would rewatch the most. Back then, I didn't care that Minilla looked almost nothing Godzilla, or that the movie was sillier. I liked the movie because it was silly. Scenes of Godzilla teaching Minilla how to breath fire or scolding him were just comedy gold to me, and like I said, I rewatched this one a lot because of it. This was also the first time I remember thinking "How'd they do that?". Even as a kid, I always knew the monsters were fake, and I could tell that it was guys in suits, but "Gimantis" and "Spiga" clearly weren't rubber suits and it amazed me at how well they were able to get the things to work and move.

Destroy All Monsters (1968) = For years, this was the lost Godzilla film. It was my white whale. A movie with over 10 monsters in it...I have to see it! But for some reason I could never catch it on TV and I could never find a VHS copy of it. But I heard about it in Godzilla books I had read and in things like the video games and other merch, I would see Baragon and Varan featured, and Gorosauras appeared in stock footage in other movies, and I'd ask "Who are they?" "Oh those were monsters in Destroy All Monsters". By the time I was about 12 or maybe even early teens, I had seen all the Showa Godzilla films except for this one, which is strangely appropriate given the grand finale feel to it. I remember one time, I got a call from a friend of mine saying that he just finished watching DAM on TV and I was like "Did you tape it?!" and he said no...curses! Foiled again!

One fateful day, the Sci-Fi channel FINALLY put this movie in as part of their lineup for a Godzilla movie marathon and I was NOT going to miss it. (BTW, it was this one)

My brother and I made a big deal out of it too. We got pizza, sodas, and had a grand old time enjoying what we thought was the last Godzilla film we had never seen. I also distinctly remember begging my parents "Look, I am very good about doing my chores and normally I wouldn't mind getting called away from the TV to help you with something but tonight, for the love of God tonight, please don't drag me away from the TV!". I literally got down on my hands and knees and begged them for that...kind of pathetic in hindsight, but hey. Fortunately, they complied. My brother and I saw it and we loved it. Okay, I was disappointed that Baragon didn't do jack, but all in all, I had a blast watching this and it was a joy to watch. And my brother and I really felt like we found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. "We've seen all the Godzilla movies!".

Now imagine my disappointment when I got on the internet a year later and found out there were 5 Godzilla movies in the 90s that never got released in the states! Ugh! lol.

Godzilla's Revenge (1969) = Go back to what I said about Godzilla: KOTM and its pretty much the same. Got this one as a Christmas present and my brother and I watched both this and KOTM that night. We watched KOTM first because we wanted to finally see the first Godzilla movie. Interestingly, I had hardly seen any footage of KOTM prior to seeing it, but for Godzilla's Revenge, I distinctly remember seeing a preview for it on one of the other Godzilla tapes we had. Even in my youth I thought it looked weird. Minilla talks? There is a kid running around Monster Island by himself? What is going on? Well we watched it and we were kind of confused. So Godzilla isn't really in the movie? And the kid uses advice he got from his hallucinations to fight off bank robbers? Whaaaaaaat? And Gabara was about the dumbest looking thing I had ever seen in a Godzilla movie up this point (and keep in mind, I had seen Jet Jaguar already). I don't want to say that we hated it, but I think we were utterly perplexed by it, like we thought somebody played a joke on us and we were trying to figure out who did it and why.

Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster (1971) = One Saturday morning, I woke up in the morning and saw my brother in the living room watching TV. He sees me walk in and goes "Hey, we have two new Godzilla movies". It was Godzilla Vs. Megalon and of course, this one. He was watching Godzilla Vs. Megalon, so I came into that film in progress and watched the rest of it. Then we popped in Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster. Looking back on it, I'm actually amazed it didn't scare me. I was a bit of a scaredy cat and would freak out over stupid nonsense (for example, GI Joe the Movie scared me because of the screams Cobra Commander made when he got transformed into a snake). So to have a movie with this blob monster going around and killing people and turning them into skeletons, you'd think I'd have been more freaked out by it. But I guess as a kid, when Godzilla is your hero, you can make it through the bad stuff to see him win. Anyways, I loved this one and Hedorah fascinated me. I was a fan of The Blob too, so he really reminded me of that and him being a transforming/evolving monster kept him interesting throughout the film. Going back to what I said earlier about how kids don't question things, it is kind of funny how the wackier moments like Godzilla flying were "awesome" to me back then. I was like "Oh cool Godzilla can fly!". I actually remember talking to be my dad after seeing the film and going "It was great! Godzilla flew! He could fly!" and Dad said he was glad I enjoyed it, though deep down he was probably second guessing his decision to let me watch these films. lol, great times.

Godzilla Vs. Gigan (1972) = As an older fan, the reuse of stock footage is one of my biggest pet peeves with the older films, but in my youth, I didn't care at all. This was the first Godzilla film I saw after seeing GTTHM, so I was fully onboard with the Godzilla superhero hype train. I took one look at the VHS sleeve of Godzilla dueling with this weird cyborg chicken thing and I was sold. Ghidorah and Anguiras were a welcomed added bonus for me as well. The thing I remember most were all my reactions to the fight at the end. My jaw dropped when Gigan made Godzilla bleed, something I didn't even know was possible. I also remember getting upset when the Godzilla Tower took down Godzilla and being fearful that he was going to die. And this is also the movie that made me fall in love with Anguiras, who I would refer to as Godzilla's sidekick. I would never say this is one of my favorite entries nowadays, but as a kid, this one was one of the ones I revisited the most along with Son of Godzilla, and that counts for something.

Godzilla Vs. Megalon (1973) = Like I said for Smog Monster, I first saw this film in progress one Saturday morning as my brother was watching the new tapes we got. Coming into it halfway or so kind of confused me, but I was happy to see Gigan again for sure. This was also the first time I remember noticing the use of stock footage as alot of Gigan's footage was pulled from his earlier film. I also hated Jet Jaguar, with a passion. I just thought he was the dumbest looking thing and Godzilla was slumming it for a partner this time around. I remember thinking "Why not get Rodan or Anguiras to help him?" haha.

I do have another memory with this film from a few years later, and it has to do with the Sci-Fi Godzilla movie marathon that happened one year. It was a 24 hour deal this time and I spent that weekend watching Godzilla movies. GVMegalon came on around 2AM or so and my sister came out to get a glass of water and we had an exchange that went like this.

Sis: "still watching Godzilla, huh?"
Me: "Yup"
"Hey, I remember this movie. Don't you hate this one?"
Me: "Its one of the worst ones"
Sis: "Then why are you watching it?"
Me: "Because its on!"

And the incredulous look she gave me was the stuff of legend. It was at that moment I realized my monster fandom had bordered on obsession, lol.

Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) = Earlier I said that part of the appeal of the Godzilla films for me in my youth was just seeing what wacky monsters Godzilla would fight next. It felt like the possibilities were endless. One day, my parents gave us yet another Godzilla tape, this time showing him fighting a robot version of himself. A robot Godzilla....my kid brain couldn't fully process how much I loved that idea. I remember looking at my brother and going "Can we watch it now?!" and of course we did.

I remember how smug I was during the early portion of the film when "Godzilla" started attacking the city and Anguiras and, proclaiming it like I had just solved the crime of the century and like Sherlock Holmes needed to bow before my greatness, I said "That isn't the real Godzilla! That's the robot fake". Yup! Nothing was getting by me! lol. What surprised me though was how violent the movie got. I mean I saw blood in Godzilla Vs. Gigan, but this took it to another level. Watching one of my favorites, Anguiras, get beaten to a pulp legit disturbed me (I actually thought Mechagodzilla killed him). This was made worse by Godzilla getting left in a pool of blood and aliens getting shot and killed and bleeding green every where. It was the first time I remember thinking "Am I a little young for this?". Again, I was kind of a wimpy kid, but I kept telling myself "Godzilla's going to win in the end and it'll be okay" and I made it through.

Anyways, the last battle really blew my mind. Mechagodzilla was quite the spectacle and it felt like they'd need 3 or 4 monsters to stop him. But Godzilla SOMEHOW generated a magnetic force to beat him, which again, was one of those things that I did not question at all. Godzilla won, I was happy, but it was quite the ride for 7 year old me. As for King Ceasar, I liked him alot more than Jet Jaguar, but not as much as Anguiras or Rodan.

Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) = This one was another Christmas present, probably a year or so after seeing Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla for the first time. I remember seeing a preview for this film and really wanting to watch it. I mean Mechagodzilla comes back and he's got a dinosaur partner? Bring it! Remembering how bloody the first Mechagodzilla film got, I asked my brother to watch it first to let me know how violent it got so I could prepare for it, lol. Fortunately, this one was nowhere near as graphic and after he watched it, I got the assurance to check it out. I loved it and even back then it immediately became one of my favorite Godzilla movies. This is one of the first times I remember liking the monster movie for the non-monster stuff. Dr. Mafune (which I thought was spelled Maphoony...English Phonics for the loss!) at Katsura were two intriguing characters to me. A cyborg lady torn between her alien controllers and her own humanity? A mad scientist angry at the world and questing revenge? This movie was probably a gateway for me into more complex action and Sci-Fi a couple years later. But still, the monster fights were cool. I distinctly remember thinking Godzilla's entrance was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Along with Son of Godzilla and Godzilla Vs. Gigan, this was one I rewatched a lot as well in my youth.

Godzilla 1985 = After finally seeing all the Showa films, I initially thought I was done with the Godzilla series. I knew this film existed, but I completely rejected both this film and Godzilla Vs. Biollante, despite the fact that they were available to me (unlike the rest of the Heisei films as I would soon discover). For some reason I had it in my head that this was a pointless remake/revision/reboot and it wouldn't be as good and I would only stick with the "True" Godzilla, warts and all. I think after witnessing Godzilla's character development throughout the course of the Showa films from destroyer to hero, I rejected the idea of making him a destructive villain again. Some fans said him turning good "felt wrong" but again, I appreciated the development there and undoing it felt wrong to me.

But I was at a party at one of my friends' houses and he rented both this and Godzilla Vs. Biollante. I kind of rolled my eyes but it was his party and decided to sit down and watch them. Honestly, I liked it alot! I loved Raymond Burr in the movie, despite the fact that even back then, I knew the other American actors were terrible, and seeing a scary and destructive Godzilla actually worked for me. I guess that just goes to show ya, don't completely reject change because you might just stop yourself from having a good time.

Godzilla Vs. Biollante (1989) = Well after we all watched Godzilla 1985 at the party, we had to watch the immediate sequel. And hey Godzilla fights another monster in this one, so it has to be better, right? Well, as it turns out, YES! I loved Biollante and the fight with Godzilla at the end just blew me away. There was just so much cool in this movie. The Super X-2, assassins, spy movie elements, genetic experimentation, and cool scenes with the monsters. I was a happy monster fan that night and again, I was happy I let my guard down and be more open to a reimagining of the franchise. If G:TTHM gave me appreciation for superhero Godzilla, I think this film and its predecessor made me appreciate the villainous and destructive Godzilla.

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah (1991) = Maybe a year or so after seeing G85 and GVB, my family got its first computer with dial up internet. One of the first things I looked up on good ol' AOL was Godzilla. Now just imagine how ticked off I was when I went to a website (Barry's Temple of Godzilla, oh those were the days) when I found out there were FIVE Godzilla movies that never got released in the states. Boy I was mad.

I was even angrier when I realized there were hints about these movies for years. The Super Godzilla video game had monsters like Battra and Mecha King Ghidorah, and then there was the Trendmasters Godzilla toyline which had both of them, plus Spacegodzilla, and new looks and origin stories for the classics like King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. Honestly, I thought it was some kind of marketing initiative or they were pulling from some comic series I wasn't aware of or something. God, the toy commercials even had footage from Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla, and I did not even realize they were all from unseen movies. Also, Godzilla's death in Godzilla Vs. Destroyah was reported on the friggin news and it still escaped my notice!

So not only was I mad that these movies were continuing without my knowledge, but I was too dumb to put two and two together and realize I was getting hosed. So when I first made this discovery, i was furious and started searching around. When are they getting released? When will I get to see these things? When?! Where?! How?!

I was told by the online community to check my local video stores or mall kiosks and see if I could get subbed copies of the films, but I had no such luck. I waited a few years and still nothing, and the Tristar film came out in 1998, and we all know how that went. Sad to say, but I was a very ticked off Godzilla fan. It also didn't help that I was going through puberty and all sorts of other hormonal upheavals, so I was just a pissed off little walking erection with acne. It was a bad time.

One day, I got into Blockbuster and as per habit, I check the Godzilla films to see what was on the shelf and to my delight, Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah was on the rack! The Heisei films were finally making their way to the states! I pulled a "Shut up and take my money" bit before that was even a meme, rushed back home and watched the film, and I loved it. It felt so refreshing at the time and getting to finally see the updated version of King Ghidorah, as well as he Mecha-Cyborg version in film. I found myself really loving the scene with Godzilla and Mr. Shindo, and all the twists and turns in the story. Godzilla is the good guy again!...until he's not and now Ghidorah is the hero?!?! What?! It was quite the wild ride. It had its cheesy moments sure, but most Godzilla movies do, and at this point in my Godzilla fandom, it was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Also, it held me over until I could finally see the other Heisei films. 1 down, 4 to go.

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992) = Now I found this one for rent in a Mom and Pop video store. I also rented He-Man and She-Ra: Secret of the Sword, Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye (The pilot 3 parter for the series), and Wrestlemania IV, so I was all about the nostalgia at this point, haha. Godzilla Vs. Mothra was the first one I watched, and its funny to look back on because even at this point in my teens, I was still in the "F*** Mothra" mode for beating Godzilla in the 64 film. I didn't enjoy this as much as GVs.KG, but I liked Battra a lot and, to use a wrestling term, I liked the "Triple Threat" aspect to the final fight, which was new and different. But of course we get to the ending where Mothra and Battra team up on Godzilla and I'm like "That's bulls***!". Its so funny to think about how angry Mothra used to make me, lol. Heisei series completion quest: 2 down, 3 to go.

Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993) = I get home from school one day and my sister calls me into the living room. She's like "Hey, so this PPV channel is showing Godzilla movies on all week it seems. Does that interest you". I look at it and sure enough, it has Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla 93 and Godzilla Vs. Destroyah in the line up (With Rebirth of Mothra thrown in as a bonus). Well....that's two more down! Thanks sis! I looked at the schedule and picked the best times to watch both films (and Rebirth of Mothra too, because, why not?) and make a day of it. Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla & Mothra: BFE were also in the line up so I wondered why Spacegodzilla wans't there too. Come on! Let me complete the set!

Anyways, I watched GVsMG2 first and I loved almost every second of it. It was probably the most action packed Godzilla film I had ever seen up to that point (Final Wars wasn't out yet) with Godzilla, Rodan, and Mechagodzilla all having fights with each other and most of them being really cool. It was also nice to see the action figure description for the Trendmasters Mechagodzilla actually play out on film. This was also the first time I really appreciated the continuity of the Heisei series as the events of one film might have an impact 2 or 3 entries later and that was just so cool to me. Even though it was probably my least favorite design for the character, it was nice seeing Rodan again and getting another huge fight between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla again was a treat. I also remember being amazed that there really was no bad guy in the movie. The government wants to protect the world from Godzilla and Godzilla and Rodan want to protect the egg/offspring of his species. That was kind of refreshing in a way too. The last battle was nuts to see for the first time as well as I thought "Okay, I know Godzilla doesn't die because there are two movies after this, but they really cut it close, didn't they?". Overall, a fun time was had with this film.

Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla (1994) = As I said, Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla wasn't in the PPV line up the night I saw GVMGII and GVD for the first time, so I had to wait a little while longer to see all the Heisei films. For my 14th birthday, my sister surprised me with a VHS copy of the film. Well, her present meant more to me than simply having another Godzilla movie as now, finally, I could say I have seen all the Godzilla films (again).

Watching it for the first time, it didn't win me over like some of the other Heisei films did. Something about it felt...off. At 14 I probably couldn't properly verbalize it, but I couldn't fully dig it like I hoped I would and I wanted to murder Little Godzilla with a hatchet. Still, I did like Spacegodzilla, if nothing else. It is kind of sad that the last Godzilla film I needed to see to finish the Heisei films was kind of flat, but still, I did it! I saw them all, and that was good enough for me. Fortunately, after the 90s, it never took too long for Godzilla films to be released in the states and I had the internet to track the production and news of release of any new Godzilla films coming out, so no more scavenger hunting for this guy!

Godzilla Vs. Destroyah (1995) = Like I said, I saw this one the same night I saw GVMGII on PPV, and this was the one I wanted to see the most. I mean...Godzilla dies!!! That wasn't really a spoiler either as the film was basically advertised with that tagline. Godzilla will die! In this movie! Bye bye Big G! I had to see how it would play out and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I loved the whole idea of Godzilla basically being a ticking time bomb that had to be diffused before the whole planet was killed. Technically this made Godzilla more dangerous than he's ever been. Destroyah also had the same appeal for me that Hedorah did back in the day, but with even cooler and more devilish designs to each form. He looked like a monstrosity and I loved getting to see him in action. Also, I loved all the tie ins to the 54 film, making it seem like a nice book end to the series. Godzilla's death scene felt like a fitting farewell too and is one of the major highlights of the series to this day.

Now that night I also "saw" Rebirth of Mothra. I put "saw" in quotations because I was so busy nerding out over the two Godzilla films I saw that I basically only half paid attention to the Mothra film. My biggest memory of watching it was my mom coming in and laughing when the mother Mothra died.

Me: "Why is that funny Ma?"
Mom: "Because its so silly!"
Me: "Didn't you cry when Bambi's mother died?"
Mom: "That's different! Bambi is a real animal, not like a giant butterfly"
Me: "Butterflies are as real as Deer"
Mom: "Oh come on, Bambi was realistic and this is just a puppet"
Me: "Oh yes Mom. Tell me how much more realistic the talking cartoon deer is!"

God I was a sarcastic little s***head back then, lol.

Godzilla (1998) = I guess I should mention my first experience with this one. To be honest, I was super excited for this. Granted, I was young and dumb and didn't realize Emmerich and Devlin were hacks. All I knew was "Big Budget American Godzilla movie! YES!". Every new commercial got me pumped. I remember being really happy with the New Years teaser, and Memorial Day weekend couldn't get here fast enough.

And then I saw it in theaters...yeeeeeeah. You want to see innocence killed inside of someone, talk to me before I saw that film and then talk to me again after I saw it. Now by this point, I was willing to accept a lot with Godzilla, but I was not willing to go along with Raptor babies, Godzilla running away from the military, and Godzilla dying when shot at with conventional weapons. It was so disappointing for me that when Phantom Menace came out the next year, it had no impact on me. "Oh boo hoo Star Wars fans. You don't know what pain is!" I would say, lol. It was the movie that taught me to never get your hopes up for a film because ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can go wrong.

After giving it two re-watches and through over two decades of hindsight...yeah, I still don't like the movie, but some good things came out of it. The Heisei films finally got released here state side...with the crap international dubs, sure, but I still got them. We also got Godzilla the Animated Series from it, which was pretty solid. And Toho revived the series to make up for it and we got six new ones. And here we are today, we have both Toho and Hollywood producing Godzilla movies, so I'm not going to get hung up on this thing that happened over two decades ago. Hear that Emmerich and Devlin. I'm not mad anymore. Its fine.

Godzilla 2000 (1999) = Part of the healing process of the Tristar film was getting to see this entry on the big screen. For the first time in my life, I actually got to see a true blue Toho produced Godzilla movie in theaters! It was a nice treat for me. I saw it with my siblings and my sister said I had the "dumbest grin" on my face when the Godzilla theme started playing for Godzilla's big entrance for the climax. Even back then I didn't think of this one as a favorite Godzilla movie, or one of the best, but it was a nice slice of something familiar and it just felt right, ya know? Its like Apple Pie. Its not my favorite desert, but its always good, familiar, and reliable, and who doesn't like a slice of apple pie once in a while?

Godzilla X Megaguiras (2000) = The first viewing of this one was a MISERABLE experience. Not because of the movie, but because of my health at the time. So it was around Christmas time and I was still in high school at this point. I ended up missing the last few days before Winter break and had to be taken to the Emergency Room. I won't give you the details, but it wasn't a fun time. Anyways, the doctors fixed me up, but I was on meds for the next week, and I was basically out of my mind. Christmas rolls around and I get this movie as a present. I spend the day sprawled on the coach with nothing but Godzilla and my pills to keep me company. Well that turned out to be a terrible idea as I started getting drowsy from the medication and coming in and out of sleep during the film, and the meds messed with me so much that I started to think that my body was covered by purple dragonflies and I started freaking out. I think I scared my parents because I was just babbling and I must have sounded like I was either dying or possessed. I've never had a Godzilla movie cause me to lose my mind before, but I think we can blame the pills more than the movie.

I watched the movie again later and was able to appreciate it without going nuts, but that first attempt at viewing it was kind of funny looking back on it.

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (2001) = No special memories about this one. I also got it as a Christmas present, but this year I wasn't warped out on pills, so I was able to watch it without freaking out. I watched it and really liked it, but there are no special memories surrounding it.

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) = I also got this one as a Christmas present from the family (I'm sensing a pattern here). I was in college at this point and I watched the film when I got back to my dorm. My roommate wasn't back from vacation yet (actually all but one person on my floor were still gone, so the dorm was a ghost town), and it was snowing, so I had the dorm to myself and nowhere to go...might as well watch some Godzilla! There was nothing special about it I guess, but it is funny that while everyone else was either out partying, drinking, getting laid, or still with family, I was just back at the dorm watching Godzilla, lol. I had my priorities straight, huh?

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (2003) = Another Christmas comes another Godzilla DVD. I watched this one while I was still at home with the folks on Winter break, and aside from enjoying it, I have no special memory about my first viewing.

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) = Now here is a weird one. For the first time in my life, my sister actually saw a Godzilla movie before I did. She called me up one day while I was at college and she was like "Dude, you've seen Final Wars, right?" and she was shocked when I told her I hadn't seen it yet. (Come to think of it, how did she see it? I never asked her that, lol). Anyways, she went on and on about how wacky the film was and how I needed to see it ASAP. Anyways, I went out and picked up the DVD, and watched it later that week and, yeah, she was right. It was certainly a wacky film! It ain't the best by a long shot, but it is certainly one of the most memorable for sure. After I finished it, I made sure to call my sister so we could both go on and on about how insane the film was. That was a nice way to celebrate Godzilla's 50th Anniversary, right?

Godzilla (2014) = A full decade goes by with no new Godzilla films until we get another attempt at a Hollywood film. It looked promising, the trailers were awesome, BUT, I still remembered the 1998 film and I didn't trust it. I mean I've been burned before, so this could just as easily go wrong. I went in opening night to an IMAX theater by myself, said a silent Hail Mary or two (Catholic upbringing), and went in hoping for the best. To be honest, it was one of the best theater experiences I have ever had. To see my cinematic monster hero, Godzilla, get the royal treatment was a sheer delight, and the audience reaction was just magical. I've been to Star Wars and Marvel films on opening night, and it was nothing compared to this. The scene where Godzilla charged up his atomic breath and let it loose was akin to being on a roller coaster with the building of anticipation before the big drop. The reactions to all the Godzilla money moments like the Airport reveal and "The Kiss of Death" were also amazing to be apart of as well. It was fantastic. I'm not going to say the film was perfect, but as a theater experience, it was an awesome night for me. I then proceeded to see the film in theaters four more times as more and more of my friends wanted to go see it.

Shin Godzilla (2016) = Thanks to Fathom events, I was able to see this film in theaters as well and I made sure to invite a bunch of friends. My sister came too and it was nice to see her since he was just two weeks away from getting married, and it was nice to see her right before the wedding. I was the only die hard Godzilla fan in the group, so my buds were asking all sorts of questions before and after the film. I am also told that the look on my face when Godzilla's first form shows up was "priceless". Now while this group of people weren't knowledgeable about Godzilla, they were big Anime nuts, and pointed out all the Evangellion music cues that popped up throughout the film. They asked me about Godzilla stuff, and I asked them if Evangellion was something I would enjoy (to which they said yes, but I still haven't watched it. I should get on that). We then had a late lunch at Red Robins...yum! So yeah, just a really good day, and it was cool of my friends to indulge in my fandom for a bit.

Godzilla: Planet of Monsters (2017) = Nothing too special about this one. I just watched it when I got home from work the day it dropped on Netflix. I guess what I remember the most is watching it right after a new episode of The X Files aired on TV and I couldn't help but think "X-Files and Godzilla, its like middle school never ended" lol.

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (2018) = Same as above, but without the X-Files. I don't recall anything too special about watching this. I do however remember thinking "Wait...that's it? No Mechagodzilla", but apparently I wasn't the only one who felt that way, lol.

Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018) = Same old, same old. It dropped on Netflix and I watched it that day. I enjoyed it more than the other two, but the trilogy was kind of a lost cause by this point.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) = With all the delays and pushbacks, this film just refused to get released. I started to joke that I would like to see the film before Millie Bobby Brown graduates college. So when a friend of mine hooked me up with information about an early screening of the film, I jumped at the chance. I would get to see the film a week early, but the seating was first come, first serve. I got off work early that day (fortunately I have that flexibility), so I had to rush like a madman to get to the out of state theater early just to get a seat. It was a wild ride and fortunately I got there. The person at the box office told me that there were 10 seats left. Phew! Got it, went to eat and drink at a nearby TGI Fridays and then went to the theater and enjoyed the whole experience.
Go ahead and share your experiences too!
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: First Time You Saw Each Godzilla Movie

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Godzilla/King of the Monsters - Saw KOTM circa 2006 in the 2002 Classic Media boxset I got for my 9th birthday. IIRC, I watched them all in the order that was given in the box. Gojira, I saw I guess not too long afterwards (within a year or so) given that the 2-disc set was released that year.

Godzilla Raids Again - CM DVD, circa 2007/8.

King Kong vs. Godzilla - First Godzilla movie I saw. Neighbor happened to have the Universal DVD, which I borrowed from him in early 2006 or so. I recall having seen the Peter Jackson King Kong a day or two before.

Mothra vs. Godzilla - CM boxset.

Ghidorah - Found Video Treasures VHS at thrift store circa 2006/7

Monster Zero - Simatar VHS, circa 2007

Sea Monster - Rented or bought Sony DVD circa 2008 - 9 (For whatever reason, this was one of the last Godzilla movies I saw)

Son of Godzilla - Ditto, though maybe more around 2006 - 7

Destroy All Monsters - Sci-Fi Channel airing circa 2006. Recorded via Tivo.

Godzilla's Revere - CM DVD set

Godzilla vs. Hedorah - 2006 Sci-Fi Channel airing

Gigan - 2006 Sci-Fi

Megalon - 2006 Sci-Fi

Mechagodzilla - Though it aired on Sci-Fi with the others, I guess I didn't record it, as my first viewing was (weirdly enough) the Power Multimedia DVD, which I found at some ethnic thrift shop of sorts.

TOMG - CM set

1985 - New World VHS bought from closing video store circa 2007

Biollante - Miramax VHS bought from Goodwill circa 2007 - 8

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - Marathon held on Starz in July 2007 hosted by "Rocky Rialto" (Steven Van Zandt). Recorded via Tivo

Mothra - Starz

Mechagodzilla II - Sony DVD, bought circa 2007

Spacegodzilla - Starz

Destroyah - Starz

1998 - Borrowed DVD from neighbor shortly after returning KKVG. For better or worse, really got me hooked.

Godzilla 2000 - Rented Sony DVD circa 2006

Megaguirus - Sony DVD circa 2006 - 8 (My memories get more fuzzy around here)

GMK - Sony DVD 2006 - 8

Godzilla x Mechagodzilla - Sony DVD 2006 - 7

Tokyo SOS - Sony DVD 2006 (Was the first then-new Godzilla movie I saw, after the CM set)

Final Wars - Sony DVD 2006 (Followed Tokyo SOS)

2014 - IMAX opening night

Shin - Special screening on the first or second night
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

That's really interesting that the Tristar film got you hooked.

But like I said, a lot of good came from it, and if it helped create fans, then hooray!
Last edited by GojiDog on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Wow. I don't have that kind of memory.

So, I'm not 100% sure what my first exposure to Godzilla was, but it may have been a VHS recording of one of the MST3Ks. I do remember that once I was hooked, I went through my library's VHS collection of Showa and Heisei films (the showa being that series with over that were dark grey, with an orange element on them; anyone remember those?). So, anything not specifically listed is covered under those VHSs.

In 2008, my wife and brother-in-law and I did a Godzilla marathon, in which films we didn't already own were nabbed by filesharing; so anything I can't recall more recently may have first been seen there.

Gojira - Isn't it terrible? I don't remember! So may have been that 2008 Marathon.

Godzilla Raids Again - Likewise! I know the library didn't have these two, but I don't recall when I first saw them.

King Kong vs. Godzilla - I know I bought this and vs. Gigan at a library sell-off sale, but I don't recall if I'd already seen them FROM the library or not.

Destroy All Monsters - The library didn't have it, so I bought this on VHS around 1998 to finally see it.

Godzilla vs. Gigan - See KKvG.

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla - Not sure, but I think the library didn't have this one. Can't remember.

Return of Godzilla - The library had 1985, but the RoG version I may not have seen until the 2008 marathon.

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II - This was the one that got away; the only one that my library didn't have. I bought it on a 2-pack DVD (with vs. Mothra, I believe) on DVD in the early 2000s.

1998 - On VHS, I think...?

2000 - In the theater on initial release; boy, was that awesome! My only theatrical Godzilla experience until 2014.

Vs. Megaguirus and GMK - Taped off of my grandmother's cable on a sci-fi channel screening.

xMechaGodzilla - Don't remember; but shortly after it's time of release.

Tokyo S.O.S. and Final Wars - In 2005, I was still under the impression that xMechaGodzilla was the latest, maybe last film. So it was with some surprise that I saw a friend share a clip of the Zilla vs. Godzilla battle, wrote him to ask where it came from, and discovered that two more movies had come out without my knowing about it! S.O.S. I got from the library, Final Wars I bought on DVD.

2014 and Shin - Both in the theater. 2014 being the last movie my wife and I saw together before the birth of our first child!

Animes - Making a special night of it, bringing the TV into the bedroom and getting snacks for each Netflix premiere.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

This is more or less in order of how it happened. Back before the internet coming across most this stuff was a matter of luck or happenstance. Also back in the day when the Titra/Titan dubs were in common use before the switch over to the international dubs in more recent years.

Ghidrah was my first. Don't even remember the circumstances but I was probably 5 or 6.

Then I first saw bits of Godzilla's Revenge on Grandpa Munster's Super Scary Saturdays. Though I didn't get to see it in its entirety until MonsterVision's Godzilla Bash in 1994. I think I'd seen part of King Kong vs Godzilla there as well.

Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs the Sea Monster I recorded as "late night movies" off TBS.

Megalon I bought the Goodtimes VHS.

Godzilla 1985 I rented from a local independent video store. Sadly they've been closed since the mid 90s (I always wanted the inflatable Imperial Godzilla they use to display there). That's also where I typically rented the classic NES game.

Smog Monster I got at a VHS sale at Best Buy.

Mechagodzilla and Gigan I bought at various points on VHS from video stores in the mall. The Starmaker releases I believe.

Godzilla Raids Again I recorded off Disney Channel of all places.

Recorded Biollante off HBO I think it was 91 or 92. Was shocked to come across it honestly. Had no idea there was anything beyond Godzilla 1985 at that point

First saw Godzilla, Monster Zero, and Vs The Thing on MonsterVision's Godzilla Bash 94.

Recorded King Kong vs Godzilla (can't remember what channel it was though).

Recorded the rest of the Godzilla Bash 94's program when it was re-run as TNT Presidents Day Godzilla-rama. Got to see the full Monster Zero (the Godzilla Bash airing cut the whole Planet X battle for some reason), Godzilla's Revenge in its entirety, and Terror of Mechagodzilla. It was also my first exposure to the HB Godzilla cartoons which I never even knew existed before then.

My parents got divorced in 1994 and my dad moved up to the "big city" to be closer to work. We'd usually end up spending the weekends up there of course. Turns out one of the guys that worked at a record store my dad frequented was a big Godzilla fan and through him I finally got to see a majority of the Heisei films. Not only that but he recorded a copy of Destroy All Monsters for me off Sci-Fi Channel. Until that point DAM was close to being of mythical status to me. I saw promotional images in Ian Thorne's Godzilla book and the trailer on one of those dinosaur trailer compilation videos but I'd never seen it aired on TV and I don't believe it was available on VHS either.

With the hoopla surrounding GINO I was able to get Godzilla vs Mothra 92, the only other Heisei film outside of Destroyah I hadn't yet seen at that point. Also the only post 1989 Heisei film I was first introduced to in dub form.

Went to my first G-Fest in 1998 and there I was able to get bootleg VHS copies of Gojira and The Return of Godzilla. My first exposure the the original Japanese versions of either film. We also went to a sci-fi collectibles store in the city where I bought a VHS boot of Destroyah (it didn't hit US retail until the following year).

Of course like most everyone else I saw Godzilla 2000 at the theater. The rest of the Millennium series outside Tokyo SOS and Final Wars my dad bought the HK DVD's off HK Flix and other similar sites. Final Wars I just bought the Sony DVD when it came out.

Of course I saw Shin at the theater during its initial run.

Finally I got around to watching Tokyo SOS just last year (despite owning it since its initial DVD release).

I think that about covers everything, original American productions excluded.

Added in 7 minutes 9 seconds:
My memories of Godzilla Bash 94 and the Godzilla-rama might be mixed up. I honestly don't remember which film I watched at which point. King of the Monsters I for sure watched on Godzilla Bash 94 as it was just starting when I flipped the channel on. I saw Monster Zero both times as well.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The Godzilla series has always been central to my relationship with my father. He introduced me to the series, we watched most of the films together and we went to G-Fest in Chicago almost every year when I was growing up.

My dad showed me Godzilla, King of the Monsters on TV when I was three years old. He also showed me Mothra vs. Godzilla (his personal favorite) shortly afterward, so those were definitely my first two.

Don't exactly remember the order after this, but I watched most of the Showa films on VHS tapes rented from my local video store from when I was four to six, including: Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, Monster Zero, Destroy All Monsters and Terror of Mechagodzilla. I also watched Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla on the Sci-Fi Channel during this time.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah wasn't at my local video store, but I found clips from the movie on a Godzilla website and convinced my dad to go out and buy me a VHS copy. It quickly became my favorite Godzilla film.

I purchased Godzilla's Revenge on VHS at KB Toys when I was six. I remember being super disappointed because I mistakenly thought it was Destroy All Monsters under a different title due to the description mentioning Monster Island; instead I got a bunch of stock footage from two movies I had already seen. My dad and I were so unimpressed that we rented DAM from the video store that same night so we could watch that again instead.

Godzilla vs. Gigan was the last Showa film (and the second to last of the original 28 Godzilla films) that I ever saw. My dad remembered the scene of Anguirus getting his head sawed open and mistakenly thought that he was decapitated and killed. Because I loved Anguirus, my dad was afraid I would be traumatized by watching his brutal death and wouldn't let me watch the film until I was nine and purchased it on DVD from Hollywood Video. We were both very relieved that Anguirus actually survived his bloody experience.

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth and Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla were the first two Heisei films I saw. My dad bought me VHS copies of both for Christmas when I was five or six. They quickly became two of my favorites, although I've become less fond of them with age. Around this time, I also rented Godzilla vs. Biollante from the video store near my grandma's house and watched it with her (she hated Godzilla but was a good sport about watching the movies with me).

Sometime between when I was six and seven, my dad and I bought and watched VHS copies of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. I know I watched these three after any of the Showa films (sans Gigan) but before most of the Millennium films.

Godzilla 1985 was the very last of the original 28 Godzilla films that I saw. I rented up a VHS at the video store near my grandma's house the same day I rented Biollante, but I was disturbed by the corpses on the ship and turned the movie off. By the time I was a couple years older and actually wanted to watch it, that video store had sold its copy and I couldn't find it anywhere. Finally, I purchased a VHS at G-Fest when I was ten or eleven and got around to watching it.

My dad and I rented a VHS of the TriStar film when I was seven or eight. I saw it after most of the pre-Millennium Toho Godzilla films and I didn't hate it the first time, but I never loved it, either. Even then, I knew that wasn't the real Godzilla.

Godzilla 2000 was the first Millennium film I saw, and I think I watched it before any of the Heisei movies. I couldn't have been more than five. My dad bought me a VHS for my fifth of sixth birthday, mistakenly believing it was the TriStar film. We were both surprised to learn it was a Toho film we hadn't heard of before, and we both loved it. Still one of my favorites.

My dad and I bought bootleg subtitled DVD copies of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and GMK at G-Fest when I was seven. I didn't think much of Megaguirus at the time, but I loved GMK immediately and it quickly joined Hedorah as one of my all-time favorites.

We bought and watched Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla on DVD from our local Hollywood video when I was seven or eight. Neither of us was very impressed.

We saw Godzilla: Tokyo SOS on the big screen at G-Fest when I was eight. The first Godzilla movie that I watched on the big screen for the first time.

The next year, my dad and I saw Godzilla: Final Wars on the big screen. I was ridiculously excited and it was my favorite Godzilla movie at the time.

I was in my senior year of high school when Godzilla 2014 came out. I went and saw it with my dad and two friends whom I converted into fellow Godzilla fans. At the time, I thought it was one of the best Godzilla movies, right up there with the original and GMK. Boy how times change...

I saw Shin Gojira on a Delta flight when I was going to visit my aunt in Florida the year after it came out. I thought it was boring and kept nodding off, and was very disappointed. A year later, I bought it on Blu-Ray, re-watched it and realized I was foolish to dismiss it. Note to all, don't watch a movie for the first time on an airplane.

I watched Planet of the Monsters with my roommate in my senior year of college. I liked it and was excited for the sequels. My mistake...

I watched City on the Edge of Battle and The Planet Eater back to back on Netflix the summer after I graduated. I was very disappointed.

I went to King of the Monsters on opening night with my dad. I took him to an IMAX screening for his birthday. We both had more mixed feelings than we did about the 2014 film. I've seen it four times since and decided I like it alot better, but my dad still prefers the 2014 one.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

TitanosaurusFan
Yojimbo

Post by TitanosaurusFan »

Note: as a kid, I usually skipped to the first major monster scene and watched from there. I stopped this when I was 10 or so. The first three listed are the first Godzilla films I saw, in order. I don't remember the order of viewing past that point. Many of these films were bought at a local anime shop. I saw all of the original 28 films by the time I was a teenager.

Gojira - I saw the 2002 KOTM DVD at a Kmart when I was 5. I never saw such a cool looking dinosaur, I loved the spines. Loved the film of course! I got the Gojira DVD when it came out. I knew the Japanese cut would be special just going by the write-up on the back of the case (I had no internet at the time.)

Mothra vs Godzilla - Same story. I hated the ending and Mothra for years to come.

G2K - No clue where I got it. It was wonderful, I remember listening closely to the commentary on the DVD and it was so insightful to a new fan like little me.

GRA - Saw the CM DVD at a Kmart when I was 8 or 9, instant buy since it was one I had not seen yet. I watched the dub and found it weird that they kept saying "Gigantis."

KKvG - I discovered its existence when I got internet access at 8 or 9. My folks didn't have credit cards at the time so I couldn't order online, I had to hope my local anime shop carried it. Imagine my excitement when I found the two-pack of this film and King Kong Escapes (which I was also excited about.) I loved the film but had a chip on my shoulder regarding the ending.

GTTHM - I think I bought it at a Fry's Electronics at 9 or 10. Another one I had not seen yet, loved everything about it. It was awesome to see Ghidorah's introduction into the series after having seem GvKG and GvGigan.

IoAM - I thought I found it at that same Fry's one night but it turns out the disc was missing. I believe I bought it at the anime shop and a good time was had.

GvSea Monster - No clue where I bought it, loved it as well.

Son of Godzilla - Got it at the anime shop, I thought it was a cute film.

DAM - I bought the ADV disc at the anime shop, brand new, yet it refused to work past a certain point. I don't remember how I saw it in its entirety, I may have bought a second copy.

Godzilla's Revenge - Came home from school one day and discovered my dad bought the 2002 DVD for me since he knew I wanted it. I remember finding it weird that Minilla spoke and changed sizes, as well as being irked by the stock footage fest. Little me concluded it wasn't a bad kid's film and I still feel that way today...I saw the Japanese cut once when I was 11 or 12 and refuse to ever see it again due to the intro song.

GvHedorah-GvMegalon - Anime store purchases, loved them. The Tokyo Shock vs Megalon would be my last Godzilla DVD purchase, then I had to part with my collection due to circumstances. I had nearly all of the original 28, simply missing '85 due to it not being out on region 1 at that time (2014.)

GvMG - I saw it at Target and I knew I had to see it. A robot Godzilla? Wow! Loved everything.

ToMG - I first saw the 2002 DVD after GvMG which featured the edited version. I really didn't like it and due to not caring for the human drama at the time, the film was dull besides the monster fights. My apprection for it grew ten-fold a couple of years after when I saw the uncut version on the later CM release.

Return of Godzilla - I remember seeing the American cut on YouTube, which was pulled down soon after. I liked it, soon saw the Japanese cut on a foreign language media site and loved it. Only recently have I purchased it, I got the Kraken Blu Ray.

GvBiollante - Discovered this on the internet and saw it was a fan favorite. For some reason, I was very drawn to this movie. It'd be years before I could see it in its entirety. I did thanks to the Echo Bridge DVD!

GvKG-GvDestoroyah - Childhood movies of the series, I saw them many times. I believe I had to repurchase the DVDs because they stopped working! I loved them!

G98 - May have been in my first 5 or 10 films, I liked it but as I grew up I realized this wasn't Godzilla. However, I always held the opinion that its a half-decent popcorn monster movie.

GvMegaguirus - I became aware of it at a Blockbuster but it'd be a bit before I bought the DVD. I found it weird to see the 2000 design attacking in 1954 at the beginning. This is one I ought to rewatch, I remember liking the action but finding everything else dull which is a common opinion. It has been years since I last saw it.

GxMG and Tokyo SOS - Target purchases I believe, loved seeing an updated Mechagodzilla. Little me really loved the blue backpack and was sad when it got replaced in Tokyo SOS.

Final Wars - It popped up at the anime shop one day and I went "huh, haven't seen this before." I loved the film, as I grew up I hated it, and now I love it again since I'm aware its not trying to be a sophisticated film or anything of the like.

G14 - For some reason, I was averse to going to a theater to see it so I waited to rent it on DVD. I saw it in October of that year and I was very happy to see a proper American Godzilla. I had to adjust the brightness on my TV due to the terrible lighting on the DVD, that always stuck with me.

Shin - I know close to everything about this film without having actually seen it. Shame, I know. I hated the design at first but it grew on me, especially when I learned what it was trying to represent. I will watch this soon!

KOTM - After I saw G14, I vowed to see the sequel on opening day and so I did. I asked for the day off from work a month in advance and as I'm walking into the theater, my boss texts me asking if I can come in. I declined, I got the day off in advance and there was no way I was missing Godzilla. It turns out someone in my position had quit so they wanted me to fill in. I took my mom to see it, my dad was supposed to come but we had car troubles he had to fix. Unfortunately, it took the entire duration of the film. My mom and I loved the film, it was great to see Godzilla on the big screen for the first time.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

G54 - Finnish VHS

GRA - Bootleg VHS of Gigantis

KKvsG - GoodTimes VHS

MvsG - Bootleg VHS

GTTHM - Finnish VHS

Invasion of Astro-Monster - UK 4 Front VHS

Ebirah - GoodTimes VHS

SOG - UK 4 Front VHS

DAM - UK 4 Front VHS

AMA - Simitar VHS

Hedorah - UK Carlton VHS

Gigan - UK 4 Front VHS

Megalon - GoodTimes VHS

GvsMG74 - Finnish VHS (the first one I ever got, like I've mentioned before)

TOMG - UK 4 Front VHS

G84 - Anchor Bay VHS

GvsB - HBO VHS

GvsKG - UK Manga VHS

Mothra92 - UK Manga VHS

GvsMGII - Finnish VHS

GvsSG - Finnish VHS

GvsD - TriStar VHS

G98 - Finnish VHS

G2K - TriStar VHS

GXM - SciFi channel airing

GMK - SciFi channel airing

GXMG - TriStar DVD

Tokyo SOS - Toho 2-disc DVD

GFW - Toho 3-disc DVD

G2014 - Cinema screening

ShinGoji - Toho 3-disc Blu-ray

Anime trilogy - Netflix

KOTM - Cinema screening
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Here's my response to watching them for the first time...

(title - year watched for the first time - how I came about to watch it)

Gojira (1954) - 2014 - Bought the DVD Director's Cut at the FYE around 2014.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956) - 2002 - Obtained as a 4-pack DVD bundle.
Godzilla Raids Again - 2011 - Had to pirate it due to no physical media available at the time.
Rodan - 2011 - Had to pirate it due to no physical media available at the time.
Mothra - 2020 - Downloaded it from Archive.org.
King Kong vs. Godzilla - 1988 - My dad bought it as a 2-pack VHS.
Mothra vs. Godzilla - 1990 - My dad rented the VHS cassette.
Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster - 2011 - Had to pirate it due to no physical media available at the time.
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero - 1989 - My dad rented the VHS cassette.
Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster - 2011 - Had to pirate it due to no physical media available at the time.
Son of Godzilla - 2011 - Had to pirate it due to no physical media available at the time.
Destroy All Monsters - 2003 - Bought the VHS at an Suncoast Movies.
Godzilla's Revenge - 2002 - Obtained as a 4-pack DVD bundle.
Godzilla vs. Hedorah - 2011 - Had to pirate it due to no physical media available at the time.
Godzilla vs. Gigan - 1992 - Watched during a local channel monster marathon broadcast (aired from Houston TX).
Godzilla vs. Megalon - 1988 - My dad bought it as a 2-pack VHS.
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla - 1992 - Watched during a local channel monster marathon broadcast (aired from Houston TX).
Terror of MechaGodzilla - 1992 - Watched during a local channel monster marathon broadcast (aired from Houston TX).
The Return of Godzilla - 2011 - Had to pirate it due to no physical media available at the time.
Godzilla 1985 - 1988 - My dad rented the VHS cassette.
Godzilla vs. Biollante - 2003 - Bought the VHS at an Suncoast Movies.
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - 2002 - Watched the Sci-Fi Channel broadcast late night.
Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth - 2003 - Bought the VHS at an Suncoast Movies.
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II - 2003 - Bought the VHS at an Suncoast Movies.
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - 2003 - Bought the VHS at an Suncoast Movies.
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - 2003 - Bought the VHS at an Suncoast Movies.
Godzilla (1998) - 1999 - My dad rented the VHS cassette.
Godzilla 2000 - 2000 - My dad rented the VHS cassette.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - 2005 - Bought the DVD at an FYE.
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - 2011 - Bought the DVD at the Base Exchange
Godzilla X MechaGodzilla - 2011 - Bought the DVD at the Base Exchange
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. - 2011 - Bought the DVD at the Base Exchange
Godzilla: Final Wars - 2005 - Ordered the DVD through Amazon.com.
Godzilla (2014) - 2014 - Watched at the theaters.
Shin Godzilla - 2019 - Bought the DVD/Blu-Ray combo.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - 2019 - Bought the DVD.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

AllHailTheKing
Ronin

Post by AllHailTheKing »

I saw most of the showa movies when I was a kid (English dubs only), and also Godzilla 1985. I don't really remember exactly when I saw each one, but I do remember setting the VCR to record Godzilla's Revenge, and then when I tried watching it I only got to see the opening credits before the recording messed up and went to all static. But boy what an opening montage! I didn't know it was stock footage...I thought those were all scenes from THIS movie! So it was a couple years before I finally got to see Godzilla's Revenge, and by the time I was SO hyped for it! When I finally saw the movie I was disappointed, but I still liked it.

When I was in about 2nd or 3rd grade, the first Blockbuster opened in my town. I remember it was a foggy night, and they had a big grand opening with searchlights pointed at the sky that you could see all the way on the other side of town. The first movie I ever rented from Blockbuster was Godzilla vs the Smog Monster. I had never seen nor heard of it before...so I thought it was a new one. I didn't find out until years later that it came out in the 70s. I always loved this one, and in particular I remember Godzilla losing an eye at the end.

Over the years I saw boxes for Biollante and Destroyah and was aware they were still making new ones, but I grew out of Godzilla around 5th grade.

The next one I would see would be Godzilla (98)… I was interested in seeing it, but I wasn't dying to see it or anything. My brother got us tickets to see it a couple weeks before it opened, and I remember driving to another city to see it with him. I had grown out of Godzilla, so I appreciated the more "realistic" take like how he doesn't breathe fire and behaves like an animal just trying to survive. I really liked the movie. I went back and saw it again with my mom (also a G fan) and she liked it too. I got the vhs as a birthday present when it came out, and my dad and other brother liked the movie too. Years later, when I got into classic Godzilla again, I still like it as a generic monster movie, but it's NOT Godzilla, and after seeing the original Gojira and how dark in tone it is, the '98 Godzilla is just too jokey.

Jump to 2006 when the original Gojira got its first release in the US. I bought the dvd and loved it. I also bought KK vs Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters as "drunk" movies to round out my collection. The US cut of KK vs Godzilla is a hoot, and I had actually still never seen Destroy All Monsters. I thought why not and bought it. It didn't live up to the hype I had for it as a kid.

Anyway, for the next several years the original Gojira was still the only one I really liked, and I continued to be too grown up for the other ones. Then Pacific Rim came out in 2014 I got sucked into the hype. I bought bootleg copies of Return of Godzilla and Smog Monster since it wasn't available on dvd yet. I was really impressed with Return of Godzilla. I was still feeling the hype, so I went on Amazon and bought a couple more. I started going on forums and watching reviews on youtube, and learning about the different eras and which movies were the good ones. GMK was awesome...Destroyah...Biollante...slowly I started to buy more and more and by the time G '14 came out (which I loved) I had seen all of them and was a Godzilla fan again.

Most people trash on G '14 because it keeps cutting away from the monsters but I've actually liked it more and more with each viewing. And KOTM is one of if not the best of all the Godzilla movies. Box office aside, I think Legendary's MonsterVerse is the only successful cinematic universe after MCU.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I discovered Godzilla on TNT in the early-mid ‘90s. I can’t remember now if it was a Monstervision ad or part of Godzilla’s Revenge. I’m inclined to believe it was the latter because a few years later I was familiar with Minya when I otherwise shouldn’t have been. My first for-sure full Godzilla movie was Godzilla versus the Sea Monster on video as a birthday present.

The order may not be perfect but it was something like this:
Spoiler:
  • Godzilla’s Revenge - TNT? (Later picked up the Paramount VHS.)
  • Sea Monster - GoodTimes VHS (92)
  • Godzilla vs. Gigan - StarMaker VHS
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - “”
  • King Kong vs. Godzilla - GoodTimes VHS (87)
  • Godzilla, King of the Monsters - GoodTimes VHS (95)
  • Godzilla vs. Megalon - GoodTimes VHS (96); my introduction to this was actually a brief clip from the MTV Awards in 1996.
  • Godzilla vs. Mothra (64) - Paramount VHS (94)
  • Godzilla 1985 - StarMaker VHS
  • Godzilla vs. Monster Zero - Paramount VHS (94)
  • Terror of Mechagodzilla - Paramount VHS (94)
  • Godzilla vs. Biollante - HBO VHS
  • Ghidrah - Disney Channel, 1997
  • Son of Godzilla - Anchor Bay VHS
  • Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster - Orion VHS
  • Gigantis, the Fire Monster - Liberty Video bootleg
  • Godzilla (98) - Theatrically, opening weekend.
  • Destroy All Monsters - ADV VHS
Things progress normally after that except for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. My first exposure to the other four ‘90s movies was via their TriStar releases. I got impatient waiting for MGII around winter ‘98 and lucked into a subtitled bootleg (my first Japanese-language movie).

By 2000 I was a hardcore fan and kept up with all releases as they happened, including the theatrical release of G2K. Except for GXM—which I had to wait more than a year for—I was able to see all the Millennium Series films around the time each film came out on video in Japan (the July after each release) via bootleg. (GFW was available as a raw Japanese download in March or April 2005.) I also saw about half of the Showa and Heisei series in their original versions the same way around the same period. I don’t have much interesting to say about the films since: I’ve seen all of them as they were first released in the US.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Most of the Showa series I saw through DVD, primarily through rentals from Blockbuster before it folded. A select few I saw were part of that old pan-and-scan Classic Media box set. For almost all the Showa films, I saw the U.S. versions first except for Destroy All Monsters which I saw the JPN version via a bootleg subtitled VHS tape from a local indie video joint that sadly closed up shop about a decade ago. I saw only a few of the US versions on VHS from Blockbuster and Hollywood Video (which I always preferred). For the Japanese versions of the Showa films, almost all of them came via the onslaught of DVD releases from 2006 onwards, mostly through Netflix's old DVD-by-mail service.

For the Heisei series, it was almost entirely Sony DVDs and two VHS tapes (G85 and GVKG) plus Echo Bridge's Biollante DVD. G85 is the only Heisei film I haven't seen in Japanese and I might keep it that way for a good while.

Like the Showa films, most of the Millenium series I saw via the 2005/2006 Sony DVDs via Blockbuster. The only exceptions are Godzilla 2000 (my first Godzilla film) which I saw on DVD back in 2001 from Blockbuster and GMK which I saw on the Sci-Fi Channel back when it premiered in 2003. That remains the only Godzilla film I saw for the first time on television (really showing my age, I guess?).

For the newer films, it's been pretty much nothing interesting to note. Theatrical releases for those released and Netflix for the anime films.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

I actually saw Gamera before I saw any Godzilla, seeing what must've been "War Of The Monsters" on TV circa 1983-1984. I then saw all the Showa Godzilla films from late 1989 through 1990, except for SoG, DAM, and Godzilla's Revenge, which I didn't see until the summer of 1997, and the beginning of the hype for G'98. Most of the time they were VHS rentals; I recall KoTM being a bit of a pain in the ass to find at that point, as it may have been OOP by that point, and few local rental stores had a copy. Would you believe that I never saw G'98 until 2005, and then was so bored by it that I fast-forwarded through most of it? I would, because I was there. '97 was also when I saw Biollante; the rest of the Heisei films I first saw in '98 through either the Sony VHS's (King Ghidora and Mothra), or bootlegs from a local Anime shop (the rest of them). Godzilla 2000 I saw twice one its US opening day; the rest of the Millennium films I saw as the Sony DVD's came out.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Can I just say it was really fun being a Godzilla fan in the '90s (except for that TriStar movie debacle that seemed to push the series underground)? Almost every Godzilla movie released to that point was in regular-ish rotation on TV, almost all of the movies were relatively easy to come by on video, the Trendmasters figures were on shelves (and advertised on TV), and Dark Horse had a pretty respectable run of comics. It was also pretty easy to find a number of non-Godzilla kaiju movies if you knew what you were looking for, which wasn't too difficult thanks to early websites like Barry's Temple and Mark Meloon's Godzilla Page (the precursor to this site's monster bios).

Non-Godzilla movies I saw in the '90s include Rodan, The Mysterians, Varan, Mothra, Dagora, FCTW, the five Sandy Frank Gameras, WOTG, Gappa, Yog, and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. But like I said, it helped if you had web access or a well-stocked library so you could brush up on the related non-Godzilla titles.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I was a child of the early 00's but I still had access to all that (except the TM figures being on store shelves, they were regulated to comic shops near me) and it definitely was a blast. I remember spending hours after school browsing Barry's Temple, Godzilla Tower, SpaceGodzilla's Crystal Palace, and Rodan's Roost.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Terasawa wrote:It was also pretty easy to find a number of non-Godzilla kaiju movies if you knew what you were looking for, which wasn't too difficult thanks to early websites like Barry's Temple and Mark Meloon's Godzilla Page (the precursor to this site's monster bios).
Was it actually? That was the first Godzilla website I discovered (followed closely by Barry's Temple) and it was where I first learned of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, which I immediately set to work tracking down. I also learned about Frankenstein vs. Baragon on there, but I didn't see that one until the DVD came out.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pretty sure Mark’s page was one of the first (if not THE first) English-language websites dedicated to Godzilla.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah, Mark's page was active in 1996 (maybe earlier). Part of it's still active here.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

In chronological order

Godzilla: Final Wars and Godzilla 2000: early 2000s, Blockbuster video

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah: YouTube upload

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2: VHS from my uncle

Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla: random 4th of July kaiju marathon.

Godzilla 1998. Godzilla vs Megaguirus: Random cable channel

Godzilla (2014): theaters

Godzilla: 2014, DVD I found at Wal Mart

Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster, Invasion of Astro Monster, Godzilla's Revenge, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra: 2014, Library DVDs

Shin Godzilla: 2016. Theaters

Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla vs Destroyah Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All Out Attack: 2016?, El Rey Kaiju Christmas

Ebriah Horror Of The Deep, Destroy All Monsters. Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla 1984, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S: DVDS I bought from random places, 2015-2017

The animes: Netflix

Son Of Godzilla: Copy of the Japanese Blu Ray from a very generous friend.

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters: theaters

Japanese cut of King Kong vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs Megalon, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: The Criterion Collection
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon May 04, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Post by CommanderBowser »

While the list is not complete

Godzilla (1954): Archive
King Kong vs Godzilla: Encore Ave Channel
Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla: Archive
Terror of MechaGodzilla and Return of Godzilla: Meta Café
Godzilla vs Biollante: Archive
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah: YouTube
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2: Archive
Godzilla vs Destoroyah: YouTube
Godzilla (1998): CHCH Channel
Godzilla 2000: Archive
GMK: YouTube
Godzilla against MechaGodzilla: Archive
Godzilla: Final Wars: YouTube
Godzilla (2014): DVD
Godzilla Resurgence: Archive
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters: Watchcartoons
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle and Godzilla: the Planet Eater: Forgot the sites, sorry
Godzilla: King of the Monsters: DVD

That is all, at least for now
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.