What is your favorite look for a specific kaiju or mecha?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

What is your favorite look for a specific kaiju or mecha?

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Now when I asked as I am meaning specifically just appearance, not actions in the movies or role. For an example my favorite look for Mechagodzilla in terms of appearance in the films is the Heisei version. I am very fond of the poster design especially now that we get to see it in a figurine, but I'm only going to select from film versions and when I think of Mechagodzilla, this is the one that comes to mind because when I think of that word I think of a machine made to approximate Godzilla's appearance. I really like all of the canon film looks aside from the anime version (kinda "meh" there) but the reason I put the 1990s version above the 1970s version and 2000s version is that it strikes a good balance of futuristic and militaristic.

Kiryu looks a bit more like a Godzilla wearing armor plating and looks like it's built to fight up close. Very intimidating, but if I think of some group trying to make their heroic looking combat machine to slay the literal dragon, it looks a bit terrifying to be honest. The 1970s Mechagodzilla definitely screams robot, though the design is a little bit dated with the obvious bolts and screws. The 1990s version I see is holding up pretty well because it was built to look futuristic with the more curved lines in the body compared to the earlier version, wall having a more distinct profile compared to Godzilla to separated from the later version. And when I think of a machine meant to protect humanity from something, this is pretty close to what I would imagine if they try to make it look like Godzilla, imposing but not necessarily intimidating. Plus all the beam launchers and the Garuda backpack really help sell the 'machine' angle over Kiryu's more organic look. Again I'm not knocking any of the designs, they all look great and I love how they all have some shared features like the little head crest, it's just a case of the 1990s version sticking a bit more.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Re: What is your favorite look for a specific kaiju or mecha?

Post by Godzillander »

Godzilla: My favorite look for "menace" Godzilla is probably the 1954 look, GMK, or the 84 one. The Godzilla vs. Gigan suit is the "hero" one I like best, and the best "neutral" look is probably Legendary or Final Wars.

Mechagodzilla: I agree with you for most of MG HEISEI, but I feel like Kiryu has a more intimidating look while still feeling mechanical.

Mothra: The Rebirth trilogy captured the deity aspect really well, but the most naturalistic designs are the Showa or Milennium.

King Ghidorah: The Heisei version looks intimidating, but I prefer the space monster origin so I gotta give it to Grand King Ghidorah from The Mothra trilogy.

Rodan: The original look is probably the most fearsome and fitting for him, the later Showa ones look more goofy and bird-like.

Gigan: The Final Wars version I think suits his sadistic personality well, and looks more fearsome. The Showa one is fine though.

Minilla/Godzilla's son: The GvMGII one is the most realistic, same for the GvD one. I think FW Minilla did a good job of making the Showa design look better.

King Kong: Both the Toho Kong suits look off in different ways, but I feel like the Escapes one had more life or personality to it.

Gamera: The Showa era suit got less detailed and good looking as the series progressed. I think the original one or the Heisei trilogy one is the best. I have an odd liking for the Gamera the Brave design.

Ultraman: I have only seen episodes of the original show, so It's the one I prefer, a classic, memorable design.
Last edited by Godzillander on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Godzilla: 1962
Mechagodzilla: 1974
Rodan: 1956
Godzilla's Son: Minilla 1968
Mothra: 2003
Gigan: 1972
King Ghidorah: 1964
why did i have to be the chosen one?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzilla is tricky so I’ll split him up. Not my favorite designs exactly, but the ones I feel best sum up those eras -

Showa (outside of 54) – 64 and 68
Heisei – 89/91
Millennium – 2002/03
Current – 2016

As for others –

Mothra – 2003 (as much as I like Showa)
King Ghidorah – 1964/65
Mechagodzilla – 1974/75 (I also really love Noriyoshi Ohrai’s poster design and Yoji Shinkawa’s Evangelion crossover figure)
Rodan – 1956
Gigan – 1972 and 2004 sans chainsaws (Yasushi Torisawa's design is a nice blend between the two)
Baragon – 1965 and 2001 are both great
Anguirus and Manda – I prefer the 1968 designs for both

I also find the Showa designs for Hedorah, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga and King Caesar to be significantly better than their Final Wars counterparts.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Tarbosaurus wrote:Now when I asked as I am meaning specifically just appearance, not actions in the movies or role. For an example my favorite look for Mechagodzilla in terms of appearance in the films is the Heisei version. I am very fond of the poster design especially now that we get to see it in a figurine, but I'm only going to select from film versions and when I think of Mechagodzilla, this is the one that comes to mind because when I think of that word I think of a machine made to approximate Godzilla's appearance. I really like all of the canon film looks aside from the anime version (kinda "meh" there) but the reason I put the 1990s version above the 1970s version and 2000s version is that it strikes a good balance of futuristic and militaristic.

Kiryu looks a bit more like a Godzilla wearing armor plating and looks like it's built to fight up close. Very intimidating, but if I think of some group trying to make their heroic looking combat machine to slay the literal dragon, it looks a bit terrifying to be honest. The 1970s Mechagodzilla definitely screams robot, though the design is a little bit dated with the obvious bolts and screws. The 1990s version I see is holding up pretty well because it was built to look futuristic with the more curved lines in the body compared to the earlier version, wall having a more distinct profile compared to Godzilla to separated from the later version. And when I think of a machine meant to protect humanity from something, this is pretty close to what I would imagine if they try to make it look like Godzilla, imposing but not necessarily intimidating. Plus all the beam launchers and the Garuda backpack really help sell the 'machine' angle over Kiryu's more organic look. Again I'm not knocking any of the designs, they all look great and I love how they all have some shared features like the little head crest, it's just a case of the 1990s version sticking a bit more.
I like the Heisei versions best for every kaiju aside from Mothra and Rodan (Mothra 2003 and Rodan 2004 are my favorites for them.)
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla: MonsterVerse
Ghidorah: MonsterVerse
Mothra: SOS/Final Wars
Anguirus: DAM
Rodan: Heisei
Mechagodzilla: Kiryu
Gigan: Final Wars
Hedorah: FW
Ebirah: FW

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

For Godzilla, my favorite is the LPG one.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

70’s Mechagodzilla is Best Mechagodzilla and 90’s MOGUERA has a nice aesthetic to it.

Wish we got some more GunHed-styled mechs in the series like we were suppose to though.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Well, to simplify:

Godzilla
-Showa: 1973
-Heisei: 1991
-Millenium: 2001
-Current: 2016
Mechagodzillla: 1993
King Ghidorah: 1991
Mothra: 2003/2004
Rodan: 2004
Anguirus: 1968
Baragon: 2001
Gigan: 2004
MOGUERA: 1994

(All of the other kaiju I haven't already mentioned that were in Final Wars (Manda, Ebirah, Kumonga, etc.), the 2004 designs were my favorite designs for all of them)
(Every strictly Heisei, Millenium or, current kaiju have only one look)
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

For MG, the Showa version is my choice. I find the design very angular and mechanical, which makes perfect contrast to the disguise it was using. The face also has an intimidating feel to it.

I much prefer the Showa Kumonga to the Millenium.

The 60s Anguillas was the best version of the kaiju.

The menacing design of GKG makes it my favorite Ghidorah. It looks mean, and I like that crescent horn on the top of the head.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.