Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Post by MrGoji1999 »

50s- Godzilla
60s- Mothra vs Godzilla
70s- Godzilla vs Hedorah
80s- The Return of Godzilla
90s- Godzilla 2000
00s- GMK
10s- Shin Godzilla

Runner ups:
60s- Monster Zero
70s- Terror of Mechagodzilla
80s- Godzilla vs Biollante
90s- Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
00s- Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
10s- Godzilla 2014
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Pretty soon here we should start tallying up the votes and see what the most popular movies for each era actually are. Gojira is probably unanimous for the '50s, but some of the other decades are probably going to have close contests.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Post by G.Escanor »

50s: Gojira
60s: Mothra vs Godzilla
70s: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
80s: Godzilla vs Biollante
90s: Godzilla vs Destoroyah
2000's: Godzilla: Final Wars
2010s: Shin Godzilla

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
*80s era is tough bc most of them are heisei and most of that series' movies are phenomenal
ShinEscanor156

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

JAGzilla wrote:Pretty soon here we should start tallying up the votes and see what the most popular movies for each era actually are. Gojira is probably unanimous for the '50s, but some of the other decades are probably going to have close contests.
I'll do it because I'm studying right now, so naturally I have all the time in the world. :freak:

For those who provided both favourite and best, I'm counting favourite.

50s

Gojira - 31

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 1

60s

Mothra vs. Godzilla - 15

Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster - 6

King Kong vs. Godzilla - 4

Invasion of Astro-Monster - 4

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero - 3

Destroy all Monsters - 3

Son of Godzilla - 2

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep - 2

70s

Terror of Mechagodzilla - 15

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - 10

Godzilla vs. Hedorah - 8

Godzilla vs. Gigan - 5

80s

Godzilla vs. Biollante - 20

Return of Godzilla - 11

Godzilla 1985 - 5

90s

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - 17

Godzilla vs Destoroyah - 8

Godzilla 2000 - 5

Godzilla vs Mothra - 2

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II - 2

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla - 1

2000s

GMK - 15

Godzilla 2000 - 13

Godzilla Final Wars - 5

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS - 3

Godzilla x Mechagodzilla - 2

2010s

Shin Godzilla - 26

Godzilla 2014 - 6

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle - 1

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 1

If someone wants to check my math, feel free, there were a lot of posts so I probably made a mistake or two. It's also a little crazy because I counted double votes and alternate versions of the films. On an unrelated note, I feel like this topic will finally provide a frame of reference for the Unpopular Godzilla Opinions topic. :D
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Huh. Except for the close-run Millennium race, every era has a movie that stands well above the others, which surprises me. In particular, I didn't expect GvsKG to have almost as many votes as the rest of '90s Heisei put together; with all the controversy and confusion surrounding the time-travel plot, I figured it'd have much stiffer competition. To be fair, though, I guess we're working with the opinions of less than forty people.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'll go ahead and post my votes some time today, if I remember.

Just wanted to say, I wonder how different things would look if people could agree on which decade G2K belongs in.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:I'll go ahead and post my votes some time today, if I remember.

Just wanted to say, I wonder how different things would look if people could agree on which decade G2K belongs in.
Far as I'm concerned, it was made in 1999. Thus it's the 90's Era.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

But only the Japanese version was made in '99, and I don't think that's many people's favorites. :-)

The American cut was 2000; which, as pointed out before, is technically the 90s by decade... but, by 'era'... well, that is the question.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:But only the Japanese version was made in '99, and I don't think that's many people's favorites. :-)

The American cut was 2000; which, as pointed out before, is technically the 90s by decade... but, by 'era'... well, that is the question.
It doesn't really matter if it's the favorite or not, that's still when the film was created.

I don't sit here and go "Man, The Matrix is such a great 2000's film". It came out in '99. Just kinda, I dunno, logic?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Alright, here we go...

50s - Gojira
60s - King Kong vs. Godzilla
70s - Godzilla vs. Hedorah
80s - Godzilla vs. Biollante
90s - Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
2000s - Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah - Giant Monsters All Out Attack
2010s - Shin Godzilla

I'm kind of ashamed that I'm so closely aligned with the majority here... :(
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Eh, quality IS quality.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:But only the Japanese version was made in '99, and I don't think that's many people's favorites. :-)

It doesn't really matter if it's the favorite or not, that's still when the film was created.

I don't sit here and go "Man, The Matrix is such a great 2000's film". It came out in '99. Just kinda, I dunno, logic?
Right, but I'm saying- Godzilla: Millenium isn't typically the favorite, Godzilla 2000 is. Which is a separate cut of the film that was created in and came out in 2000. So, the question is, whether you consider it a separate cut (like Gojira and Godzilla; King of the Monsters), or whether you consider the differences in the cut insignificant enough that Godzilla 2000 was merely a later screening of the film Godzilla: Millenium, which came out in 1999. Hence the ambiguity, and the significance of which section you count the year 2000 in (for those that consider 2000 a separate version).

Added in 39 seconds:
eabaker wrote:Alright, here we go...

50s - Gojira
2010s - Shin Godzilla

I think you bucked the trend in the 60s and 70s.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Right, but I'm saying- Godzilla: Millenium isn't typically the favorite, Godzilla 2000 is. Which is a separate cut of the film that was created in and came out in 2000. So, the question is, whether you consider it a separate cut (like Gojira and Godzilla; King of the Monsters), or whether you consider the differences in the cut insignificant enough that Godzilla 2000 was merely a later screening of the film Godzilla: Millenium, which came out in 1999. Hence the ambiguity, and the significance of which section you count the year 2000 in (for those that consider 2000 a separate version).
No, I get what you're saying. But what I'm saying is the "cut" doesn't really matter as the source for the cut still was created in 1999, thus it's still a 1999 film.

I get your point, I just think it's a bit weird to consider Godzilla: Millennium and Godzilla:2000 different films as the changes are cosmetic; music, sound effects.

It's not like Gojira and King of the Monsters where they cut MASSIVE amounts from the film, added in TONS of new footage, and literally changed the main plot, thus making it arguably a new film.

It being a favorite doesn't apply to when things were released. This coming from someone who does indeed prefer the American cut over the Japanese cut. So I DO understand what you're going for.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:It being a favorite doesn't apply to when things were released. This coming from someone who does indeed prefer the American cut over the Japanese cut. So I DO understand what you're going for.
My point was that I don't think people were listing the one that was released in 1999 as the favorite, but the one in 2000. But again, that comes from viewing the 2 as separate entities, which is the source of our disagreement. And I suspect, was also the source of eabaker's statement. (That, and the 'is era the same as decade' ambiguity).

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:It being a favorite doesn't apply to when things were released. This coming from someone who does indeed prefer the American cut over the Japanese cut. So I DO understand what you're going for.
My point was that I don't think people were listing the one that was released in 1999 as the favorite,
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gotcha.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

You know, if we're talking about decades not as literal spans from 1-10, but as something more nebulously tied to cultural eras, then it might be worth noting that some historians consider the early-70s to be part of the "long 60s," and the late-70s to be part of the "long 80s," so really Hedorah, Gigan and Megalon might be be thought of as 60s movies. ;)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:You know, if we're talking about decades not as literal spans from 1-10, but as something more nebulously tied to cultural eras, then it might be worth noting that some historians consider the early-70s to be part of the "long 60s," and the late-70s to be part of the "long 80s," so really Hedorah, Gigan and Megalon might be be thought of as 60s movies. ;)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

50s - Gojira
2010s - Shin Godzilla

Conformist populist. I bet you don’t even watch movies, do you?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:

50s - Gojira
2010s - Shin Godzilla

I just read the synopses on the backs of the boxes... :oops:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

50s - Gojira
2010s - Shin Godzilla

I just read the synopses on the backs of the boxes... :oops:
The back of the boxes or do you just read the IMDB reviews? Come on, you're among friends...
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.