Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
kiryu86
Samurai

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie by Era

Post by kiryu86 »

Showa: The original, you can't really beat it. It's far from perfect, and there are some close seconds, like Godzilla vs Mecha Godzilla or Godzilla vs Gigan, but in my mind the original is just too iconic.

Heisei: Godzilla vs Destoroyah. I don't really like the psychic and spiritual subplots of the rest of the series. It feels tedious and preachy. The final movie also has perhaps the most ferocious and powerful Godzilla villain of all kind, plus it came out the year I was born so I kind of grew up with it.

Millennium: GMK and the Mecha G duology. GMK feels the most like a direct successor to the original 1954 film and has my favorite design of any Godzilla. The Mecha G series just fits together so well. Special effects are good, writing is decent. Love them.

Post Millennium: I guess I have to say KoTM because it had the most monsters, but I havent seen the anime yet and I do not like KoTM by any stretch of the imagination.

My top 3 favorite films are Gojira, GMK, and Tokyo SOS with Destoroyah, Against, and vs Mecha Godzilla getting honorable
Not all who wander are lost

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Showa: a six-way tie between Godzilla, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla. The first one - well, I would think the reasons are obvious to all of us here, the next two had Godzilla as a menace for the last two times until 1984, plus the fact that I grew up with the American versions of those three films. The third one - well, like I've said many times before on this forum, you never forget your first time. The last two brought Godzilla back to the level of the 1950s-1960s and had the deadliest enemies of all - Mechagodzilla and Mechagodzilla 2.

Heisei: a tie between The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante. The first one was the first Godzilla film I saw in a movie theater (the American version, of course) and the second one was a great sequel. When I had the chances to get both of them in their Japanese versions on Blu-ray, I took them!

Millennium: a three-way tie between Godzilla 2000: Millennium, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.. The first one was the second (and last to date) Godzilla film I saw in a movie theater (again, the American version) and the other two had the best Mechagodzilla since the 1970s and, thanks to this forum, introduced me to my favorite Japanese Godzilla storyline, the Kiryu Saga.

Reiwa: a four-way (hopefully soon to be five-way) tie between Shin Godzilla and all three films (so far) of the Monsterverse Saga. The first one was because of its new approach to the 1954 film and the other three are the best American-made Godzilla storyline I've ever seen so far! I can't wait for Godzilla vs. Kong! The more Legendary/Warner Brothers pushes it back, the more I hate them for doing it, because now the suspense is killing me!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

1950s: Godzilla
1960s: Monster Zero
1970s: Godzilla vs. Hedorah
1980s: Godzilla vs Biollante
1990s: Godzilla 2000
2000s: Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
2010s: Shin Godzilla

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

mikelcho wrote:The more Legendary/Warner Brothers pushes it back, the more I hate them for doing it, because now the suspense is killing me!
Yeah, god forbid they want people to stay safe!

Anyways...

1950s (1954 - 55): Godzilla
"Golden Era" (1962 - 68): Four way tie between KKVG, MVG, Ghidorah and SOG.
Champion Festival Era (1969 - 75): Godzilla vs. Hedorah
1980s Revival (1984): Well, there's only one option...
Versus Series (1989 - 95): Godzilla vs. Biollante
Millennium Series (1999 - 2004): Godzilla: Final Wars
"Reiwa" (In quote because a lot of that was released before the actual era began) Era (2016 - 2018): Shin Godzilla
US Adaptations (1998, 2014, 2019): Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:The more Legendary/Warner Brothers pushes it back, the more I hate them for doing it, because now the suspense is killing me!
Yeah, god forbid they want people to stay safe!

Anyways...

1950s (1954 - 55): Godzilla
"Golden Era" (1962 - 68): Four way tie between KKVG, MVG, Ghidorah and SOG.
Champion Festival Era (1969 - 75): Godzilla vs. Hedorah
1980s Revival (1984): Well, there's only one option...
Versus Series (1989 - 95): Godzilla vs. Biollante
Millennium Series (1999 - 2004): Godzilla: Final Wars
"Reiwa" (In quote because a lot of that was released before the actual era began) Era (2016 - 2018): Shin Godzilla
US Adaptations (1998, 2014, 2019): Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Oh yeah, sorry about that. I didn't think about that and I didn't mean to be objectionable.