Why is the Emperor never mentioned?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Why is the Emperor never mentioned?

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’ve never watched a Canadian tv show outside of the news where they brought up Elizabeth II in the context of being Queen of Canada.
It came up a couple of times on The Kids in the Hall.
Oooo, you’re right, I believe that was a recurring character. I’ll have to double check on YouTube when I get home from work, but even then I think she’s only referenced as the queen of England... but I can’t say for sure.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’ve never watched a Canadian tv show outside of the news where they brought up Elizabeth II in the context of being Queen of Canada.
Oooo, you’re right, I believe that was a recurring character. I’ll have to double check on YouTube when I get home from work, but even then I think she’s only referenced as the queen of England... but I can’t say for sure.
There's one sketch I remember that involves Canada declaring its independence from the monarchy.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
There's one sketch I remember that involves Canada declaring its independence from the monarchy.
Yup, you're right. :lol: Okay, but it still doesn't get mentioned a lot!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gwangi had no respect for churches either.

On topic, it makes sense the emperor is never mentioned when culture is considered. Besides, the emperor is a side issue for these films. They may focus on politics, but it's more militray men and women, scientists, and every day people who drive the stories. High ranking officials have their parts to play, but it's usually others who carry along the movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

In Japan, anything regarding the Emperor or his family is not just a subject you can bring up on a whim. It isn't socially acceptable to do so.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:31 pm In Japan, anything regarding the Emperor or his family is not just a subject you can bring up on a whim. It isn't socially acceptable to do so.
Was this really necessary? Thank you for endowing us with your mighty knowledge about honorable Japan.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.