Nostalgia Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Nostalgia Thread

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Bumping because all the crazy junk going on in the world really has me feeling nostalgic for simpler days
I can't stop thinking about the buildup for the 2014 movie after that 10 year dry spell, and how exciting it was to see Godzilla everywhere and people actually excited for the film.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Hearing the awesomeness of the opening themes of both Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Destoroyah. As they were the first ones I saw. After that it would be the 2014 trailer.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This video of Zilla Jr and Robo-Yeti fighting King Cobra is the first Godzilla video I ever saw. My interest in Godzilla, however, really kickstarted at G14. I crossed the point of no return 3 years later.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Nothing makes me feel more nostalgic than the Titra dub of Son of Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Nothing makes me feel more nostalgic than the Titra dub of Son of Godzilla.
I just got a copy of that on Blu! Hadn't watched it for over twenty years, and so many warm feelings came rushing back!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Cinemassacre's Godzillathon was one of the things that kickstarted my love of Godzilla in 2010-2011 ish. I go back and watch those occasionally to get that Nostalgia rush.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The '90s Godzilla fan nostalgia starter pack.

Resized Image
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

As a very nostalgic person, I have a lot of fond memories of watching Godzilla films as a child. I remember renting Godzilla (1998), Godzilla vs Gigan, and Godzilla:Tokyo S.O.S from Blockbuster Video several times. Not to mention all the times renting movies from Hollywood Video like Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, GMK and Godzilla: Final Wars.

I also remember spending a lot of my time on YouTube watching Cinemassacre's Monster Madness: Godzillathon and videos of people showing off their Godzilla collection recorded by a potato.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Terasawa wrote:Image
:shock:
I still have that video casette...... damn, I gotta watch it now.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Fantastic Dinosaurs of the Movies and Hollywood Dinosaurs. Hollywood Dinosaurs was more of a documentary while Fantastic Dinosaurs is mostly just a trailer reel.

Also TNT's MonsterVision! The pre Joe Bob years. I Like Joe Bob but that's also when they started showing newer and shittier films. Once the started leaning into slasher territory the block was dead to me. Then again classic films as a whole were beginning to disappear off television around that time. AMC and TBS began making similar transitions.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Image
I remember having a vhs with this cover:

Obviously this is the DVD, but I remember being in 4th or 5th grade and finding a VHS of it at a school yard sale/event. I got it for 80 cents and was pretty happy :)

Does there exist a list of what trailers were on it? I remember being a little scared by some of them and it's also interesting to think about what films,ms I eventually wound up watching.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Does there exist a list of what trailers were on it? I remember being a little scared by some of them and it's also interesting to think about what films,ms I eventually wound up watching.
Right here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The Rodan American trailer. “From hell it comes!”
For Emperor and Empire!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWT5Te ... L&index=34

I use to watch this review of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee dozens of times when I was a kid. I think it's because I wanted the game so badly that I would watch the same videos about the game every week or two before I finally got it for Xbox.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:02 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWT5Te ... L&index=34

I use to watch this review of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee dozens of times when I was a kid. I think it's because I wanted the game so badly that I would watch the same videos about the game every week or two before I finally got it for Xbox.
Speaking of nostalgic reviews, when referring to GDAMM, I'm always reminded of this one from Toonami from back in the day. I think this was my first exposure to Orga as well.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Classic Creatures Return of the Jedi...does anyone remember that?

It was a TV special/Behind the Scenes look at creating the special effects sequences for Return of the Jedi. Hosted by Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams, it went into detail about how all these puppets and man in suit monsters were brought to the screen, as well as the various influences on their creation.

As a kid, I was just blown away watching them put together Jabba the Hutt, the Rancor, and all the other creatures in Jabba's Palace, a sequence that captured my imagination for all the different creatures on display.

Why do I bring it up? Because it talked about how Godzilla was an influence! Yup! Skip to 13:13 and 33:44 and you'll see footage of Destroy All Monsters on full display with Carrie Fisher providing narration.

Even at the young age of 5, Godzilla and Star Wars were two of my favorite things, so to see them brought together in this way made me happy. And looking back on it, a TV special dedicated to one of the biggest movies of the time focusing entirely on the special effects and the monsters, while also acknowledging the history of those things was just wonderful.

It also brought up King Kong, ET, and The Muppets, among other things. This special was also my first exposure to Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:23 pm
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:02 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWT5Te ... L&index=34

Speaking of nostalgic reviews, when referring to GDAMM, I'm always reminded of this one from Toonami from back in the day. I think this was my first exposure to Orga as well.

Ah, yes. I remember watching that review as well. Not on TV, though, but on YouTube since I was never interested in Toonami at a young age.

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:20 pm

Also TNT's MonsterVision! The pre Joe Bob years. I Like Joe Bob but that's also when they started showing newer and shittier films. Once the started leaning into slasher territory the block was dead to me. Then again classic films as a whole were beginning to disappear off television around that time. AMC and TBS began making similar transitions.
I remember when you could see Godzilla, kaiju films, and 50s sci fi/monster films on TBS and AMC. My earliest introduction to the kaiju genre and other classics was through TBS's Super Scary Saturday or channel 7, which would sometimes show them as well.

While not Godzilla, I do have a fondness for a film I saw only the end of on channel 7. I saw a man turn into a monster and chase the woman. The cops save her and put a couple of bullets in the monster. I never found out the title, so it was a mystery to me for years what that film was. I never saw it again until much later. I watched a 50s film called The Vampire, and saw that ending. Thankfully, I found it on dvd, and I enjoy it now and then.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.