Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3545
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:29 am

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:Godzilla sucks


GODZILLA DON'T SUCK!

GODZILLA SCRAPE AND LICK!

SCRAPE

AND LICK
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 6627
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:38 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:Godzilla sucks


GODZILLA DON'T SUCK!

GODZILLA SCRAPE AND LICK!

SCRAPE

AND LICK

Wonder how many are going to catch the reference lolol
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby szmigiel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:10 am

I think some fans worry too much about continuity and canon in the film series. To start, this is a film series where the title character was definitely killed in the 1st movie. Events from pervious movies were hardly ever mentioned, or just in quick mention in passing. Then there is watching Destroy All Monsters as the last Showa movie, because it took place in 1999. It's like watching Stanley Kubrick films in order, but you have to watch "2001: A Space Odyssey" last because it takes place in 2001 not 1968. DAM is the end of the Golden Age, a last extravaganza before the more limited Championship Festival films. Ideas, and stock footage, from DAM are used in the Champion Festival films, and to move it to the end is silly. If you want to watch the last Showa film, watch Return of Godzilla.

Then there is the creation of vast interconnected timelines trying to place all the films in some short of order, even though events in the movie don't really work that way. People are always trying to include Gorath where the Earth is moved from it's orbit, costal cities flooded, and the moon is destroyed.

User avatar
Terasawa
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3420
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Terasawa » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:16 am

szmigiel wrote:I think some fans worry too much about continuity and canon in the film series. To start, this is a film series where the title character was definitely killed in the 1st movie. Events from pervious movies were hardly ever mentioned, or just in quick mention in passing. Then there is watching Destroy All Monsters as the last Showa movie, because it took place in 1999. It's like watching Stanley Kubrick films in order, but you have to watch "2001: A Space Odyssey" last because it takes place in 2001 not 1968. DAM is the end of the Golden Age, a last extravaganza before the more limited Championship Festival films. Ideas, and stock footage, from DAM are used in the Champion Festival films, and to move it to the end is silly. If you want to watch the last Showa film, watch Return of Godzilla.

Then there is the creation of vast interconnected timelines trying to place all the films in some short of order, even though events in the movie don't really work that way. People are always trying to include Gorath where the Earth is moved from it's orbit, costal cities flooded, and the moon is destroyed.


Hear, all ye good people, hear what this eloquent speaker has to say.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

User avatar
HedorahIsBestGirl
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:34 am

szmigiel wrote:I think some fans worry too much about continuity and canon in the film series.

Yeah, I've never understood why people try to fit all of Toho's tokusatsu films into one coherent timeline when there are so many contradictions. The increased obsession with close continuity in media franchises is what led to... well, the Heisei series.
The sea has cobalt, it's full of mercury. Too many fumes in our oxygen!
All the smog now is choking you and me. Good Lord, where is it gonna end?
Got to get it back, someday. Got to get it back, and soon now.
For tomorrow maybe you and me...
We're movin', we're movin', movin' to the Moon now!
It's up to us to make a choice.
We know what it's worth to save the Earth!

User avatar
tyrantgoji
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5490
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:52 am

I feel like the only way to make Gorath even remotely work in a kaiju themed timeline is just do what the Kiryu Saga did: cut out Gorath itself and then just leave in Maguma. He's the thing most people remember about that movie anyway. :P
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby szmigiel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:57 am

tyrantgoji wrote:I feel like the only way to make Gorath even remotely work in a kaiju themed timeline is just do what the Kiryu Saga did: cut out Gorath itself and then just leave in Maguma. He's the thing most people remember about that movie anyway. :P

Actually Gorath is one of my favorite sci-fi flims of the Golden Showa Era, and I like the American edit where Maguma is cut out.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5490
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:00 am

szmigiel wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I feel like the only way to make Gorath even remotely work in a kaiju themed timeline is just do what the Kiryu Saga did: cut out Gorath itself and then just leave in Maguma. He's the thing most people remember about that movie anyway. :P

Actually Gorath is one of my favorite sci-fi flims of the Golden Showa Era, and I like the American edit where Maguma is cut out.


I understand that Maguma is pretty uneeded, but i really can't see Gorath fitting in the Godzilla universe besides him.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby szmigiel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:15 am

tyrantgoji wrote:I understand that Maguma is pretty uneeded, but i really can't see Gorath fitting in the Godzilla universe besides him.

It doesn't need to fit into a Godzilla universe, it can be enjoyed just as a Honda Sci-fi film from the Golden Era.

Does every Kurosawa film need to fit into some short of timeline to enjoy them? Do we need to create a timeline where we explain were every role played by Toshiro Mifune fits in?

User avatar
tyrantgoji
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5490
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 am

szmigiel wrote:[
It doesn't need to fit into a Godzilla universe, it can be enjoyed just as a Honda Sci-fi film from the Golden Era.


I'm not saying that it needs to fit. I'm just saying that if Toho tries to make it fit into the timeline later on that's the only way it can.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby szmigiel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:30 am

tyrantgoji wrote:I'm not saying that it needs to fit. I'm just saying that if Toho tries to make it fit into the timeline later on that's the only way it can.

Toho doesn't make timelines, fans do.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5490
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:31 am

szmigiel wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I'm not saying that it needs to fit. I'm just saying that if Toho tries to make it fit into the timeline later on that's the only way it can.

Toho doesn't make timelines, fans do.


Image

An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby szmigiel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 am

tyrantgoji wrote:Image

An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.

That is a timeline of what Kaiju he choose to put in the Kiryu films, It shows the films they 1st appeared in and when it came out.
It list the release date of 1962, Gorath doesn't take place in 1962 it takes place in 1979.
Toho has always treated the Kaiju more as actors then as some sort of shared universe.

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:01 am

szmigiel wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Image

An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.

That is a timeline of what Kaiju he choose to put in the Kiryu films, It shows the films they 1st appeared in and when it came out.
It list the release date of 1962, Gorath doesn't take place in 1962 it takes place in 1979.
Toho has always treated the Kaiju more as actors then as some sort of shared universe.

This statement reminds me of the KOTM credits where they credit the main 4 titans as themselves.

User avatar
Terasawa
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3420
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Terasawa » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:14 am

tyrantgoji wrote:An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.


I took szmigiel's comments to mean the fanmade timelines that try to shoehorn every possible Toho movie into a singular universe.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3545
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:53 am

Terasawa wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.


I took szmigiel's comments to mean the fanmade timelines that try to shoehorn every possible Toho movie into a singular universe.


Unpopular Opinon: Those kinda get annoying when they're ALWAYS concruent. Like, do we really need each film to happen in it's exact release year? Especially when they don't line up (I remember the example of someone putting The Last War in a Showa timeline in 1961 then has the rest happen. You know the film that features a goverment unlike anything hinted in the Showaverse and ends with mankind wiped out in a nuclear war?)

Added in 6 minutes 19 seconds:
Image


Building on this, this timeline has been noted on the mainsite and everywhere else that it's a list of WHEN the kaiju showed up. The only events that seem to be for sure one to one with the films are Godzilla, Mothra, War of The Gargantuas (due to stock footage but even that's weak) and possibly Atragon because the AZC
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:10 pm

I prefer the ROM design of Mothra over the Battle for Earth design when it comes to Heisei designs.

User avatar
Kaiju-Killer 751
Yojimbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Kaiju-Killer 751 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:44 am

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I prefer the ROM design of Mothra over the Battle for Earth design when it comes to Heisei designs.



What movie is ROM? I've learned that Battle For Earth was an alternate title for Godzilla vs Mothra, but I don't know which one ROM is.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 15302
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:46 am

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:I prefer the ROM design of Mothra over the Battle for Earth design when it comes to Heisei designs.



What movie is ROM? I've learned that Battle For Earth was an alternate title for Godzilla vs Mothra, but I don't know which one ROM is.


Rebirth of Mothra.
Image

User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 7514
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:48 am

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:What movie is ROM? I've learned that Battle For Earth was an alternate title for Godzilla vs Mothra, but I don't know which one ROM is.


That would be Rebirth of Mothra. EDIT: Ninja'd.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest