Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by G2000 »

At very least they should have shown us the DC battle between Ghidorah, Rodan and the Navy
Just one really good monsters vs military scene in the flooded-out ruins of DC would have gone a long way
Instead all we get is the very beginning and the immediate aftermath
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

G2000 wrote:At very least they should have shown us the DC battle between Ghidorah, Rodan and the Navy
Just one really good monsters vs military scene in the flooded-out ruins of DC would have gone a long way
Instead all we get is the very beginning and the immediate aftermath
While I agree we could have gotten more, I did like what they showed. For me it's one of those weird cases where I would have loved to see more but was satisfied with what we got.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Is the opinion of actually enjoying KotM becoming unpopular? Just curious
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I wouldn't say so. I'm pretty ambivalent towards the film myself. I didn't hate it but I don't feel the urge to watch it again either. It's not terrible just kinda forgettable, like most the MonsterVerse so far.

The Mist is how you do a dramatic character driven monster movie. G14 falls short of that by a mile. Legendary should have let Darabont rewrite the entire script.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SonOfGorgo wrote:Is the opinion of actually enjoying KotM becoming unpopular? Just curious
No, not at all.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

SonOfGorgo wrote:Is the opinion of actually enjoying KotM becoming unpopular? Just curious
Not at all. General attitude as far as I can tell is monster action is cool, human plot is meh.

Saying this as a guy who loved KotM myself.

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

I really want to see more of the designs of Anguirus, Rodan and Mothra from the anime trilogy

Added in 7 minutes 26 seconds:
I dislike plantigrade Rodan and King Ghidorah
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

godjacob wrote:
Not at all. General attitude as far as I can tell is monster action is cool, human plot is meh.

Saying this as a guy who loved KotM myself.
I liked it myself. The monsters looked fine, and the action scenes were good. The family plot line could have been better.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Is disliking Mothra Leo unpopular? I have no idea what the stance on him here is, but I despise him lol
Last edited by godjacob on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

godjacob wrote:Is disliking Mothra Leo unpopular? I have no idea what the stance on him here is, but I despite him lol
From the general consensus I've seen, hes decently well liked. Not totally beloved as the only true Mothda or despised and labeled MINO. Just in the middle liked

RIP Evan.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
godjacob wrote:Is disliking Mothra Leo unpopular? I have no idea what the stance on him here is, but I despite him lol
From the general consensus I've seen, hes decently well liked. Not totally beloved as the only true Mothda or despised and labeled MINO. Just in the middle liked
Well, in that case. I hate him lol

I feel he is incredibly overpowered for his kind for poorly or not at all explained reasons, it's a bit boring even compared to other Mothra versions and he constantly wins fights by pulling new powers out of its ass making for rather anti-climatic stomps for the finale fights. Just overall not one I am very fond of, and I like the idea of a Mothra that can hang and fight with the big boys but I felt this version left a lot to be desired.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Nah, people with quality standards are the vocal minority for that one, oddly enough.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KOTM will most likely be remembered as an alright to bleh Godzilla film, that has vocal minorities of people that dislike it and really like it. To be honest even thought it came out this year my mind goes to Shin when I think about the latest Godzilla film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:KOTM will most likely be remembered as an alright to bleh Godzilla film, that has vocal minorities of people that dislike it and really like it. To be honest even thought it came out this year my mind goes to Shin when I think about the latest Godzilla film.
Yeah, because I don't go into the MonsterVerse threads here, and nobody's really talking about KotM much elsewhere anymore (not just on TK, but on any sites I visit, nor among the people I work or socialize with), I mostly just forget it exits.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Is the general consensus that the 2014 film is better than KotM? I know that’s the consensus among critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but what about everyone else?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Garzon wrote:Is the general consensus that the 2014 film is better than KotM? I know that’s the consensus among critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but what about everyone else?
As someone who doesn't really like either film, i can say KOTM is way better. At least i can have fun with it, G14 on the other hand is just a pile of boring poop.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Garzon wrote:Is the general consensus that the 2014 film is better than KotM? I know that’s the consensus among critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but what about everyone else?
G14 is better in every way except maybe script. KOTM is fine but it’s too cluttered visually and structurally and neither film has very good characters because of that clutter. Too many actors.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I am a bit biased, I enjoted KotM monsters more as the monster action was better and it just felt more "fun" which I think worked, shaky human subplot aside. Not to mention it has the best version of Ghidorah and as a Ghidorah fanboy I am not so objective about that lol

Objectively speaking, I think the 2014 film is better as a film in terms of structure and all that.
Last edited by godjacob on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Not really. I'd say the fanbase is split half and half. I can't even decide which I like better, and I have serious issues with both. I'd say there's been more vitriolic hatred directed at KOTM, but that doesn't mean it's considered the worse of the two. All G14 really had to do was be miles better than G98, which it is. KOTM had to be better than G14 and bring the franchise closer to its Toho roots, which it only partially accomplished, causing alot of criticism from fans. I do think KOTM is truer to the spirit of the Toho Godzilla films overall, though it still often misses the mark, like when the Oxygen Destroyer is thrown in as a plot device and then forgotten. If this makes sense, I think that G14 is a better film but KOTM is a better Godzilla film.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Not really. I'd say the fanbase is split half and half. I can't even decide which I like better, and I have serious issues with both. I'd say there's been more vitriolic hatred directed at KOTM, but that doesn't mean it's considered the worse of the two. All G14 really had to do was be miles better than G98, which it is. KOTM had to be better than G14 and bring the franchise closer to its Toho roots, which it only partially accomplished, causing alot of criticism from fans. I do think KOTM is truer to the spirit of the Toho Godzilla films overall, though it still often misses the mark, like when the Oxygen Destroyer is thrown in as a plot device and then forgotten. If this makes sense, I think that G14 is a better film but KOTM is a better Godzilla film.
I still can’t believe they actually brought in the Oxygen Destroyer for KotM. I never would’ve imagined that the movie would have such blatant fan service like that. I agree that the film completely misses the thematic point of the Oxygen Destroyer, but it did at least serve the purpose of establishing that Ghidorah is an alien.