Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby eabaker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:25 am

Space Hunter M wrote:the intentionally mediocre presentations on video these films have constantly received.


Intentionally mediocre? Are you suggesting that there's a conscious decision being made to ensure that these films don't look good? To what end?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 am

I think Toho is doing it intentionally you guy's. The transfers the dubs all of it just to watch these guy's squirm
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14034
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 am

eabaker wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:the intentionally mediocre presentations on video these films have constantly received.


Intentionally mediocre? Are you suggesting that there's a conscious decision being made to ensure that these films don't look good? To what end?


I don't know the exact specifications but basically Toho's current 2008 Hi-Vision transfers were made using technology that was outdated back then and the result isn't anywhere close to how good these films can look when properly restored. The "intentionally" part comes from the fact that Toho doesn't seem to really care about putting out newer, better transfers or even using better transfers from third parties (such as the Sony/Kraken transfers), instead opting to regurgitate the Hi-Vision ones over and over again.

It's especially strange and irksome when they have completed 4K transfers of a few of their films but regulate them to televised broadcasts only.
Image

User avatar
DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 am
Location: Nebula M78

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby DirektorSplennic » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:15 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:the intentionally mediocre presentations on video these films have constantly received.


Intentionally mediocre? Are you suggesting that there's a conscious decision being made to ensure that these films don't look good? To what end?


I don't know the exact specifications but basically Toho's current 2008 Hi-Vision transfers were made using technology that was outdated back then and the result isn't anywhere close to how good these films can look when properly restored. The "intentionally" part comes from the fact that Toho doesn't seem to really care about putting out newer, better transfers or even using better transfers from third parties (such as the Sony/Kraken transfers), instead opting to regurgitate the Hi-Vision ones over and over again.

It's especially strange and irksome when they have completed 4K transfers of a few of their films but regulate them to televised broadcasts only.

What's even the motivation behind that? The 4k version exists, why not release it?
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2054
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Terasawa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:00 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:^This is what a valid discussion gets you on this site. :roll:


Hes obviously kidding


That doesn’t invalidate my point. His responses were a “joke” and “we’ve heard it a million times.”
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am
Location: party city Butt
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Space Hunter M » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am

eabaker wrote:Intentionally mediocre? Are you suggesting that there's a conscious decision being made to ensure that these films don't look good? To what end?

When Koichi Kawakita begged Toho to give The Mysterians a proper restoration for DVD back in 2001, Toho refused him and stated something along the lines of "It doesn't matter. People will buy it regardless of quality."

This is entirely how modern corporate Toho operates.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉


Follow me on the tumblebox

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby eabaker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 am

Space Hunter M wrote:
eabaker wrote:Intentionally mediocre? Are you suggesting that there's a conscious decision being made to ensure that these films don't look good? To what end?

When Koichi Kawakita begged Toho to give The Mysterians a proper restoration for DVD back in 2001, Toho refused him and stated something along the lines of "It doesn't matter. People will buy it regardless of quality."

This is entirely how modern corporate Toho operates.


Which establishes that they are knowingly and willingly putting out a mediocre product. Neither of those things establishes intent, though.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 am
Location: Nebula M78

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby DirektorSplennic » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 am

Space Hunter M wrote:
eabaker wrote:Intentionally mediocre? Are you suggesting that there's a conscious decision being made to ensure that these films don't look good? To what end?

When Koichi Kawakita begged Toho to give The Mysterians a proper restoration for DVD back in 2001, Toho refused him and stated something along the lines of "It doesn't matter. People will buy it regardless of quality."

This is entirely how modern corporate Toho operates.

Jesus... Poor Kawakita
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

User avatar
Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am
Location: party city Butt
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Space Hunter M » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:09 am

eabaker wrote:Which establishes that they are knowingly and willingly putting out a mediocre product. Neither of those things establishes intent, though.

Toho disallowed Sony to use their own, superior masters for the majority of the Heisei and Millennium films for Blu-Ray back in 2014, and refused Criterion's pleas to do their own transfers for the Showa films.

Toho is well aware of reverse importing and Japanese fans aren't dumb. They hate Toho's home video decisions, too.

The only reason the first official release of the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla in North America is from an inferior version is because of a global embargo placed on the 4K Restoration. Toho specifically denied Criterion's usage of the 4K version.
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉


Follow me on the tumblebox

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8068
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 am

Terasawa wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:^This is what a valid discussion gets you on this site. :roll:


Hes obviously kidding


That doesn’t invalidate my point. His responses were a “joke” and “we’ve heard it a million times.”


You know what he was saying. The Criterion thread is a cesspool of fighting and complaining and he was joking it needs to be contained there. I know you know this!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am

Terasawa wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:^This is what a valid discussion gets you on this site. :roll:


Hes obviously kidding


That doesn’t invalidate my point. His responses were a “joke” and “we’ve heard it a million times.”


Get a grip on yourself.......no one but a handful of people care, or do you just want to have the same conversation over, and over, and over, and over, and over.....
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14034
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 am

It's almost as if it's an important conversation worth having and that by bringing it up a lot, it'll lead to more than "a handful" of people caring.
Image

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2054
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Terasawa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am

Like... if you guys don’t like it, don’t read it. It’s that simple. Goji, you’re just back from being banned for a month: I don’t think you’re in any position to dictate what gets discussed around here.

Go eat some celery while the big boys talk.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Smuggers » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am

goji89 wrote:no one but a handful of people care

Where do you think we are
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:38 am

UltramanGoji wrote:It's almost as if it's an important conversation worth having and that by bringing it up a lot, it'll lead to more than "a handful" of people caring.


Theres a damn thread dedicated to that......and come on UG, there's hundreds of members here on this site and only a handful care about restorations.....let's be honest here. But my point is that its great people have a passion for this but do we really need to talk about it over and over . The Criterion thread has many and I mean many valid points about the restorations that are informative.......but some people are too overly dramatic about it.

The Criterion set will cater to those that want it and thats that......nothing will change.

Hell, could we have gotten better hell yeah......will people set unfortunately yes.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2054
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Terasawa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am

Well, goji, what should we talk about instead? Please inform us so we can make your time here better for you.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:43 am

Terasawa wrote:Like... if you guys don’t like it, don’t read it. It’s that simple. Goji, you’re just back from being banned for a month: I don’t think you’re in any position to dictate what gets discussed around here.

Go eat some celery while the big boys talk.


Finally something other than restorations jargon. Also who are you to dictate to me as well. Im in every position I want to be in.....hahaha.

Big boys talk about restorations only? Hhmm.....valid point. Go to your criterion thread and cry about not getting those precious dubs and restorations some more.

I mean you guy's went over everything with a fine tooth comb and still find something to complain about. The Criterion set is what we got and I will gladly pay for it and Thank Toho for it and Criterion.

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:Well, goji, what should we talk about instead? Please inform us so we can make your time here better for you.


Well, thank you......

Teresawa aside from restorations what is your unpopular Godzilla opinion?
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am
Location: party city Butt
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Space Hunter M » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

goji89 wrote:only a handful care about restorations.....let's be honest here.

If so, why complain about this in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread?

I'll reiterate that it's apparently unpopular to want quality presentations of these films, and it kinda sucks. It seems to be a lot more popular to dismiss genuine complaints as "whining", and that we should be happy for whatever scraps Toho scrapes out of the pan for us.

I have seen this attitude prevail in the fandom at large for years and years.

This is not the 2004-2014 "dark age" any more. Can we move on from the "just be glad" mentality, finally?
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉


Follow me on the tumblebox

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8068
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 am

Smuggers wrote:
goji89 wrote:no one but a handful of people care

Where do you think we are


I mean he's not wrong. There seems to be maybe 3-4 dedicated people against the Criterion set in the Criterion thread. Meanwhile on social media (where there a lot more Godzilla fans) the response to the set seems to be universally positive. And the fact that it was #1 on Amazon for a bit says to me there is a lot of interest. But maybe this is a discussion better suited for that thread. It's amazing how testy people are getting over a box set of Godzilla films
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:51 am

Space Hunter M wrote: Can we move on from the "just be glad" mentality, finally?


Unfortunately it's not possible. Should we all as fans rise up and demand better? Sure. But, realistically do you see this as a possibility?
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: miguelnuva and 3 guests