Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby szmigiel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:30 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:An item not being used in a subsequent film isn't the fault of the film it debuted in.

Look at the frequency/homing device that lured Godzilla away from Tokyo and into a volcano, it is never tried again in the Heisei series. The Cadmium missles also worked very well, but Super X2 was missing them. They don't show up till Super X3, 6 films later, where they worked very well again. Anti-Godzilla weapons are meant to be a one film only invention. At least with the ANEB it has the same out as the Oxygen Destroyer, the only scientist able to create the weapon dies taking the secret to their grave.
Last edited by szmigiel on Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7832
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:58 am

szmigiel wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:An item not being used in a subsequent film isn't the fault of the film it debuted in.

Look at the frequency/homing device that lured Godzilla away from Tokyo and into a volcano, it is never tried again in the Heisei series. The Cadmium missles also worked very well, but Super X2 was missing them. They don't show up till Super X3, 6 films later, where they worked very well again. Anti-Godzilla weapons are meant to be a one film only invention. At least with the ANEB it has the same out as the Oxygen Destroyer, the only scientist able to create the weapon dies taking the secret to their grave.

The Heisei series didn’t want to make up excuses as why something before didn’t work well on them. With the Cadnium Missiles though, I forget if they directly kill Godzilla, or put him in a temporary state where he would have woken up.

But thanks for making me appreciate the film more. I didn’t realize the parallels between the ANEB and Oxygen Destroyer. A big part of the film is Shinigami, when not preoccupied with Biollante, nothing how dangerous the ANEB could be if it got into the wrong hands, similar to Serizawa and the OD. Shinigami isn’t an exact Serizawa clone which is good though.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Location: My parents basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Manuelito Canelito » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:54 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
I'm sorry......come again?

Please by all means can you tell us why?

I swear to God your analysis and critique of this movie better be good. If you just say boring...... *inhale, exhale*.
..

..
....

- ANEB was useless.

The ANEB was how Godzilla was defeated...


To be fair, the ANEB only temporaly halted him, and it lead to Godzilla being there to receive his power up in GvKG, so I always intepreted it as a show of how the creation of a technology to stop monster only leads to the creation of a bigger monster (kinda how it was thematically implied with the OD back then)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

User avatar
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Orichalcum » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 am

Ultraman02 wrote:- ANEB was useless.

It’s explained in GvKG that Godzilla never resurfaced again in the timeline because of the ANEB, doesn’t sound too useless to me but what do I know?
Last edited by Orichalcum on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7832
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:27 pm

ManuJM1997 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote:- ANEB was useless.

The ANEB was how Godzilla was defeated...


To be fair, the ANEB only temporaly halted him, and it lead to Godzilla being there to receive his power up in GvKG, so I always intepreted it as a show of how the creation of a technology to stop monster only leads to the creation of a bigger monster (kinda how it was thematically implied with the OD back then)

ANEB effectively killed Godzilla. Had it not been for the meddling of the Futurians and Shinzo, he would've presumably remained in the sea forever or died. The ANEB is a weapon people completely sleep on in the broader scope of things because it isn't a cool mech.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10967
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Yes, yes......... DEFEND GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE!!!
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Orichalcum » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:35 pm

goji89 wrote:Yes, yes......... DEFEND GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE!!!

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla is better than Biollante in every way ;)
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7832
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Gamera being part of Monsterverse=dumb.
Shin Gamera=BASED
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10967
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Orichalcum wrote:
goji89 wrote:Yes, yes......... DEFEND GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE!!!

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla is better than Biollante in every way ;)


:shock:

Why you S.O.B
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Orichalcum » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:34 pm

goji89 wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:
goji89 wrote:Yes, yes......... DEFEND GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE!!!

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla is better than Biollante in every way ;)


:shock:

Why you S.O.B

What makes it better you ask? The lack of Bio-Wars ;)
Last edited by Orichalcum on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

User avatar
Ultraman02
Samurai
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Ultraman02 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm

-I think Unleashed and Save the Earth was cool.
-I don't like the idea of an Ultraman vs Godzilla film considering there are already so many Godzilla-Esque monsters in the Ultra series already.
-I like the idea of Shin [Insert popular monster here] but everyone always seems to ape Annos Godzilla. I think a "Shin" (Probably should've called it Reiwa) Kaiju movie shouldn't just be Shin Godzilla with a different monster. Still, the body-horror fan-art is always nice.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !


" シュワッチ!"

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7832
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:44 pm

Ultraman02 wrote:-I think Unleashed and Save the Earth was cool.
-I don't like the idea of an Ultraman vs Godzilla film considering there are already so many Godzilla-Esque monsters in the Ultra series already.
-I like the idea of Shin [Insert popular monster here] but everyone always seems to ape Annos Godzilla. I think a "Shin" (Probably should've called it Reiwa) Kaiju movie shouldn't just be Shin Godzilla with a different monster. Still, the body-horror fan-art is always nice.

I don't think anything you said here is really unpopular.

I really agree with not liking Ultraman crossing over with Godzilla, I think it ruins both characters.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Dracosaurian » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:46 pm

-With the exception of The Return of Godzilla, I honestly don't like the rest of the Heisei Godzilla suits.

-The Shin Godzilla design just doesn't really appeal to me.

-The original Gojira simply just isn't in my favorites list.

-I was perfectly fine with Rodan's role in Kotm.

-I found War of the Gargantuas not to be all that.

User avatar
DirektorSplennic
G-Grasper
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 am
Location: Nebula M78

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby DirektorSplennic » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Dracosaurian wrote:-With the exception of The Return of Godzilla, I honestly don't like the rest of the Heisei Godzilla suits.

It's not that I don't like the "standard" Hesei Godzilla, but I feel that design is severely overrated. Strangely enough, it's still a design that screams Godzilla. It's weird. I'm honestly not surprised Toho still uses it as their flagship Godzilla.

Personally, I don't like the feet (I like Godzilla with three toes, and then a more prominent thumb toe, not the weird floppy four toed look.)

I also am not much of a fan of the spines of the 1992-1995 suits.

BioGoji and GhidoGoji are pretty cool though. I like their faces and spine patterns.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Imagine being such a piece of poop you think someone should slowly suffer and die because they're making it harder for you to buy children's dinosaur toys.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10967
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby goji89 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:08 pm

DirektorSplennic wrote:BioGoji and GhidoGoji are pretty cool though. I like their faces and spine patterns.


*calls off the sniper*

That's great to hear man....great to hear.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
Ultraman02
Samurai
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Ultraman02 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:01 pm

- I go into most Godzilla movies for the effects (With the exception of the original Godzilla and Shin).
- I think the original Godzilla suit was pretty bad. It's iconic in a B-Movie way but the later (Heisei, Shin and G'14) entries looks much better in my eyes (I'm sure Mr.Nakajima was grateful for the numerous improvements made to the suit during the Showa series too).
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !


" シュワッチ!"

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:39 am

Dracosaurian wrote:-The original Gojira simply just isn't in my favorites list.

How?! I didn't think it was possible! Please explain! (Not trying to be condescending or disrespectful of your opinion, it's just that this is literally the first time I've heard anyone say that here and I'd like to know why)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 7523
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:58 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:-The original Gojira simply just isn't in my favorites list.

How?! I didn't think it was possible! Please explain! (Not trying to be condescending or disrespectful of your opinion, it's just that this is literally the first time I've heard anyone say that here and I'd like to know why)


You haven't looked very hard, then. ;) It's not an uncommon opinion. I'm not really one for seriously ranking things, but I doubt it would crack my top ten. I'm here first and foremost for the monster battles, so the solo films are automatically going to be less fun for me. *shrug* I can appreciate everything Gojira has to offer all day, but it's just not what I'm primarily looking for. And while it's not a problem for me personally, I know some people are (understandably) put off by the dark, tragic tone.

User avatar
Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Dracosaurian » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:02 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:-The original Gojira simply just isn't in my favorites list.

How?! I didn't think it was possible! Please explain! (Not trying to be condescending or disrespectful of your opinion, it's just that this is literally the first time I've heard anyone say that here and I'd like to know why)


I understand the film's importance and so on, but I simply don't get great enjoyment out of watching it to put into my personal favorites. Nor should anyone feel obligated to I might add. If one enjoys the film enough to put it in their top 10 list that's fine, if not that's cool as well.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:25 am

Wow, my mind is blown that there are people who don't enjoy the original, but I don't mean any disrespect, just surprised that's all.

I suppose to some, it wouldn't really be that enjoyable for it's slow burn, it's focus or humans or because it's too dark and tragic among other reasons. It's only natural that nothing is perfect for everyone, not even Gojira. Good thing the franchise is diverse enough to find stuff for almost everyone though.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests