Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:00 pm War of the gargantuas isn’t bad but it isn’t good and I don’t see why some people worship that movie.
Honestly, agreed. I ADORE the kaiju character stuff with Sanda and Gaira but that's really the best the movie has got, tbh.

Like you said, not bad but it's really not fantastic as people act.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:06 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:00 pm War of the gargantuas isn’t bad but it isn’t good and I don’t see why some people worship that movie.
Honestly, agreed. I ADORE the kaiju character stuff with Sanda and Gaira but that's really the best the movie has got, tbh.

I honestly think FvB is a far better film.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:07 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:06 pm

I honestly think FvB is a far better film.
You're god damn right it is. :Baragon:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzillas revenge is a fucking masterpiece of film making but WotG is mediocre?

Man this fandom is full of crap sometimes and no wonder it has the reputation it has.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:23 pm Godzillas revenge is a fucking masterpiece of film making but WotG is mediocre?

Man this fandom is full of crap sometimes and no wonder it has the reputation it has.
When did anyone say it was a masterpiece? Please, show me.

And once again, a disclaimer that I don't like Godzilla's Revenge much, myself.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:25 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:23 pm Godzillas revenge is a skreeonking masterpiece of film making but WotG is mediocre?

When did anyone say it was a masterpiece? Please, show me.

And once again, a disclaimer that I don't like Godzilla's Revenge much, myself.
Go a couple pages back.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:23 pm Godzillas revenge is a skreeonking masterpiece of film making but WotG is mediocre?

Come on, goji. We never used the word masterpiece. That's reserved for films that deserve it.

Like Final Wars.

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Come on, goji. We never used the word masterpiece. That's reserved for films that deserve it.

Like Final Wars.
:lol: :lol:

Well played sir, well played.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Like Final Wars.
On the subject of unpopular opinions here.

Final Wars>Destroy All Monsters.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 pm

Like Final Wars.

-_-

Damn. No punchline to this, just........ DAMN.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Like Final Wars.

-_-

Damn. No punchline to this, just........ DAM.
FTFY :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:00 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:36 pm

-_-

Damn. No punchline to this, just........ DAM.
FTFY :lol:
DAM good eye, I didn't think of that, that post just had me all fucked up.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun May 02, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I know what I said and I stand by it. I ain't scared.

*Puts on big boy pants*

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:04 pm I know what I said and I stand by it. I ain't scared.

*Puts on big boy pants*
In the old days of TK you would've been taken to the back to the forum and beat within an inch of your life.

But with these new "softer" people here you'll be applauded for it and given hugs and a participation trophy, hell you'll even have a few people join you so meh.

But not me though. That opinion is wrong and you should feel shame for it. What was it, the blasts and the pew pew and lazers that got you off? Was it the slow burn to the Showa film that paid off in the end that you didn't like. Because the acting in FW is so damn horrible and stupid compared to the DAM's. But please enlighten me on why.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:19 pm
godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:04 pm I know what I said and I stand by it. I ain't scared.

*Puts on big boy pants*
In the old days of TK you would've been taken to the back to the forum and beat within an inch of your life.

But with these new "softer" people here you'll be applauded for it and given hugs and a participation trophy, hell you'll even have a few people join you so meh.

But not me though. That opinion is wrong and you should feel shame for it. What was it, the blasts and the pew pew and lazers that got you off? Was it the slow burn to the Showa film that paid off in the end that you didn't like. Because the acting in FW is so damn horrible and stupid compared to the DAM's. But please enlighten me on why.
I'll take an over the top/ridiculous matrix fu human plot over one I cannot even half pay attention to out of boredom. There's a slow burn and then there is actually forgetting to put on a fire at all. Put a gun to my head and I could not name a single human character from Destroy All Monsters, least in its absurd way the human cast of Final Wars left an impression on me. Least I could name them, there is zero intrigue with the plot of Destroy All Monsters. The heroes are bland (Hurts that we had much better space-themed heroes in Invasion of the Astro Monsters beforehand) and the villains really felt like "insert alien invader race #54" with no impression left from them. The Xilien leader's ability to chew all the scenery least gave him a distinct personality. It was a by the numbers Showa alien invasion plot that really felt flat to what came before and what would come after with say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

And as Kaiju goes, for all the Kaiju stuck with two second squash fights against Godzilla in GFW least they were given action. Baragon, Varan and too many others may as well have been background cut outs for their contributions to things and while the final fight with Ghidorah was plenty of fun it was a touch too one sided for my liking making it feel like an anti-climatic mugging than an epic final showdown. Conversely Monster X/Gigan vs. Godzilla/Mothra might be one of my fav fights of the Millennium films.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There is one human character in DAM that doesn't seem bland to me. Katsuo, captain of the SY3, is the cliched space action hero with a talent for stating the obvious. If he and his crew were sent hurtling to some alien world ruled by a despot, I could see him charging gung ho into danger and spouting lines that would make you groan or chuckle. Capt. Gordon had the better dialogue, but Katsuo wins for ham.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 pmBaragon, Varan and too many others may as well have been background cut outs
Well no, not really, it was pretty much just those two. I wouldn't say that just because Kumonga (who had a big role in the prior film) doesn't get more of a spotlight that it's somehow worse than Final Wars bringing back some monsters who hadn't appeared for decades just so they could get rawdogged by Godzilla in less than a minute.

Partially related, I always find it funny when people make those fanmade Monsterverse Phase 2 slates and without fail there's a Varan solo movie on there. Like what's the obsession with giving a solo movie to someone whose most notable contribution to the Godzilla franchise is basically this one shot?

BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:08 am
godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 pmBaragon, Varan and too many others may as well have been background cut outs
Well no, not really, it was pretty much just those two. I wouldn't say that just because Kumonga (who had a big role in the prior film) doesn't get more of a spotlight that it's somehow worse than Final Wars bringing back some monsters who hadn't appeared for decades just so they could get rawdogged by Godzilla in less than a minute.

Partially related, I always find it funny when people make those fanmade Monsterverse Phase 2 slates and without fail there's a Varan solo movie on there. Like what's the obsession with giving a solo movie to someone whose most notable contribution to the Godzilla franchise is basically this one shot?

Varan the Boba Fett of the kaiju genre......lol

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Smuggers wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:08 am

'Cuz Varan is cewl, that's why.

(I don't get why people are optimistic about a Varan solo movie, though. I'd be happy if he just appeared in another movie again, at this point.)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Never got the appeal to Varan, Baragon is far superior.

Another unpopular opinion is my ranking of the Millennium Era.

GMK>GxMG>G2K>>>>>>>>Tokyo SOS>Final Wars>GxM

God I hate X Megaguirus.
For Emperor and Empire!