Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Gigantis »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:04 am I find it weird that Mechaghidorah scored higher than Gigan and Hedorah.
I'm not surprised. Mechagodzilla is almost as famous as the guy he's based on, and he probably gets just as much merchandise as they do (if not more)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I said MechaGHIDORAH.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:03 am I said MechaGHIDORAH.
Oof. Sorry, the sun is bright AF over here and can barely see my keypad. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I mean in fairness, Mechagodzilla is just "Godzilla but a robot" and is one of the most popular monsters ever. Mecha-King Ghidorah having an audience for similar reasons isn't that much of a stretch.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:18 am I mean in fairness, Mechagodzilla is just "Godzilla but a robot" and is one of the most popular monsters ever. Mecha-King Ghidorah having an audience for similar reasons isn't that much of a stretch.
Not exactly the same, really, at least to me. Mechagodzilla is a character all it's own. It's appared in multiple movies across every era and spanning 50 years. There have been many different types of Mechagodzillas, from a glorified walking tank, to an evil alien robot, to a cyborg created with Godzilla DNA, to whatever Mechagodzilla City was. More than anything else, the versatility of Mechagodzilla is what makes it enduring.

Mechaghidirah is the corpse of a very specific King Ghidorah wearing robot armor that appeared at the end of a solitary film. It's a three-headed climactic deus ex machina.

Anyway, here's a new unpopular opinion. Get ready....

The current Godzilla logo (his name in English on plain white text in a solid black box) is the most corporate, soulless thing imaginable. It represents "Godzilla the brand" more than it represents "Godzilla the character".
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The name in a plain box is a perfect representation of Reiwa Era Godzilla's character. He doesn't have any, and Toho seems to want him to stay in that box.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ShoMustGo2054
Young Farmer

Post by ShoMustGo2054 »

I like EVERY English version better than the Japanese version.

Please be gentle.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I liked Godzilla: Final Wars. In fact, I always thought it was like Destroy All Monsters on steroids.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:42 am The name in a plain box is a perfect representation of Reiwa Era Godzilla's character. He doesn't have any, and Toho seems to want him to stay in that box.
It's the perfect representation of modern Godzilla in general. I probably won't get any support on this, but something unique and special about Godzilla died when the Monsterverse proved popular enough to become a franchise. Until then, Godzilla existed as a completely Japanese entity, with American interpretations coming and going pretty quickly. There was a period where most Americans didn't even know Toho was still making Godzilla films after 1984 and the character was completely niche. There were some American products but the bulk of the good stuff all had to be imported. Godzilla just seemed special and something you needed to embrace the Japanese side of in order to really enjoy it. He was never even close to mainstream.

While now Godzilla isn't Star Wars or Marvel levels of mainstream, he's still a LOT more mainstream than he ever was. His film career is healthier in American than it is in Japan. Toho's insistance on making Godzilla a truly international icon has resulted in an almost exhausting amount of American product. A person can build a rather large collection of Godzilla products that aren't even made in Japan.

While in many ways this is good (especially of you're a person who needs their Godzilla fandom validated by the monster being super popular internationally) there was something really special about being a fan in the 80s through the 2000s that's pretty much gone today. Godzilla is know becoming known by new fans and casuals as another big budget CGI American franchise. His mystique is going away. And it all coincides with that ugly as fuck logo. Godzilla is serious business now to Toho and that sterile logo reflects that.

Although it became a little overused, I definitely miss the logo New World popularized in the 80s. Big, loud and colorful, with cracks all over it . Even the anniversary logos Toho had been doing over the past 15+ years were fun and classy. Now it's just...white letters in a black box.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:27 amIt's the perfect representation of modern Godzilla in general. I probably won't get any support on this, but something unique and special about Godzilla died when the Monsterverse proved popular enough to become a franchise. Until then, Godzilla existed as a completely Japanese entity, with American interpretations coming and going pretty quickly. There was a period where most Americans didn't even know Toho was still making Godzilla films after 1984 and the character was completely niche. There were some American products but the bulk of the good stuff all had to be imported. Godzilla just seemed special and something you needed to embrace the Japanese side of in order to really enjoy it. He was never even close to mainstream.
At the risk of sounding like a gatekeeping old man, I'm inclined to agree. Even the "pre-mainstream" films (G'98 and G'14) acknowledged the brand's Japanese roots more than the later movies.

Back then, introducing Godzilla into an American culture was an event. Now it's just another summer blockbuster.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Apparently the worst thing a franchise can do is be successful it seems lol

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

godjacob wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:33 pm Apparently the worst thing a franchise can do is be successful it seems lol
For real though lol. While I somewhat understand their concerns as when a series becomes more mainstream it tends to dumb itself down or lose its original theme. But it’s not like the Monsterverse is the only thing Godzilla now. As we still have this World of Godzilla/ Shin Hero Universe.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

> Implying Godzilla as a franchise was never successful until 2014 came around
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:33 pm Apparently the worst thing a franchise can do is be successful it seems lol
That's not what I'm saying and that's not what Spirit Ghidorah is saying.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:02 pm > Implying Godzilla as a franchise was never successful until 2014 came around
Wasn't implying that, but does seem to be a big "mainstream so it sucks" attitude right now.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:36 pm
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:02 pm > Implying Godzilla as a franchise was never successful until 2014 came around
Wasn't implying that, but does seem to be a big "mainstream so it sucks" attitude right now.
No one is saying that. What I said (and what SG is agreeing with) is that, since Godzilla has become more mainstream, what made the franchise so special as this niche thing before is gone. It doesn't mean what it is now is "bad", just different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nobody said or implied that anything "sucks"; they said that becoming a mainstream American property dilutes what had previously been an essential part of the character's/franchise's identity.

EDIT: Legion beat me it.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43 pm
Nobody said or implied that anything "sucks"; they said that becoming a mainstream American property dilutes what had previously been an essential part of the character's/franchise's identity.

EDIT: Legion beat me it.
And I am of the opinion that this attitude is a bit extreme and smells of gatekeeping syndrome. Certainly doesn't paint any quality of those works in a positive light even if they don't outright say it sucks.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I feel like you're just not getting it and I'm especially over the entire "gatekeeping" argument coming up every time a certain generation hears something they don't like from the older fans. So I'm done trying to explain it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Still a better argument than saying Shin is better than the Monsterverse because it was made in Japan.

Added in 41 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:33 pm I feel like you're just not getting it and I'm especially over the entire "gatekeeping" argument coming up every time a certain generation hears something they don't like from the older fans. So I'm done trying to explain it.
What is the special thing you feel the franchise has lost exactly? One can argue Godzilla was always in mainstream Anerican pop culture it just wasn't as you said Star Wars or Marvel ect.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image