Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Spuro »

realinvaderdesign wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:52 pm I am all for godzilla smiling in the monsterverse and going croc mode
No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile.

Don't be taken in by his welcome grin.

He's imagining how well you'd fit within his skin.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Godzilla 1955 is the best design in the whole series. Suits like 89 and designs like Shin wish it could be as good of an update of 1954 as it.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Moth wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:57 pm Godzilla 1955 is the best design in the whole series. Suits like 89 and designs like Shin wish it could be as good of an update of 1954 as it.
:|

I feel nothing. Not even anger. This angers me so much I'm... just blank.
For Emperor and Empire!

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I'm not even baiting with that post, I really think 1955 is a really fucking good design.
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Moth wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:57 pm Godzilla 1955 is the best design in the whole series. Suits like 89 and designs like Shin wish it could be as good of an update of 1954 as it.
Yup, Moth has officially lost it. No one of sound mind could hold this as an unironic opinion :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:06 am
:|

I feel nothing. Not even anger. This angers me so much I'm... just blank.
Well, it IS better than Shin, I'll give it that.

Good movie, but aaaaawwwwwful fucking design.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

YES! I finally found Someone else who likes the Godzilla 1955 design. (aside from that Baron guy from ages ago) I always see people knocking it constantly and they never give it the respect it deserves. While not to take away from genuine criticism of it, there are plenty of designs in the Kaiju genre infinitely worse than any of G55's weak spots and yet they never see as much derision as G55 gets
KK42 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:34 am

Good movie, but aaaaawwwwwful skreeonking design.

Ya Chrome spray painted body Triangle head pizza cutter knife looking head Space Bat thing, get outta here!
Last edited by ROMG4 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Damn, you forgot to take your medicine for having lack of taste today bro.

Luckily for you you're in the crappy Godzilla opinion thread so you're good.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Keep in mind, it’s a toy, but there’s undoubtedly a creepy factor that other versions of Godzilla can’t match:

It’s ironic though, because I’d say that you can see both 84 and Shin as successors to this design. Shin has the same eyes, smaller head and longer neck. 84 has the fangs.

Also, looking at it now, I see Godzilla Ultima took a lot and in many ways is a re-vamped 55 design.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I adore 55. And the 55 Anguirus is my favorite version of the character.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Maritonic wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:40 am I adore 55. And the 55 Anguirus is my favorite version of the character.
I always liked how 55 Anguirus has jaws that just hang open like he's ready to snap at you. Very crocodilian.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Moth wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:57 pm Godzilla 1955 is the best design in the whole series.
please say sike

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

No.
No jokes. Full fledged take.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

That design bracket has chucked this forum right into the Twilight Zone...
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Anime MechaGodzilla is my favorite incarnation of the character behind the Showa version. That fan-animation showed just how awesome this version could have been if it had been utilized properly. I also really dig it's powers and shapeshifting nanite abilities, something i'd like to see return in one way or another.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I’m actually one of the few people who like AniMG’s design. Like the concept and idea behind it. The execution of MG, or should I say, “Mechagodzilla” City, is garbage though

I found out recently in an audio commentary for the film, the directors revealed that Mechagodzilla was originally planned to overwhelm Godzilla Earth with several different conceptual ideas from actual characters, such as transforming its arms into cannons, growing additional heads that shoot beams, or having Mechagodzilla City itself combine and transform into a gigantic Mechagodzilla, with multiple parts that fly and combine further, which would reach about 1 kilometer in height."
Additionally, the turrets of Mechagodzilla City were to be modeled after Mechagodzilla's head, but this idea was turned down.

Well, at least “MG” City works thematically, for all that matters...
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm I found out recently Thant in an audio commentary for the film, the directors revealed that Mechagodzilla was originally planned to overwhelm Godzilla Earth with several different conceptual ideas from actual characters, such as transforming its arms into cannons, growing additional heads that shoot beams, or having Mechagodzilla City itself combine and transform into a gigantic Mechagodzilla, with multiple parts that fly and combine further, which would reach about 1 kilometer in height."
Additionally, the turrets of Mechagodzilla City were to be modeled after Mechagodzilla's head, but this idea was turned down.
Holy Christ the Anime Trilogy might actually be the biggest missed opportunity in this entire franchise

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:01 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm I found out recently Thant in an audio commentary for the film, the directors revealed that Mechagodzilla was originally planned to overwhelm Godzilla Earth with several different conceptual ideas from actual characters, such as transforming its arms into cannons, growing additional heads that shoot beams, or having Mechagodzilla City itself combine and transform into a gigantic Mechagodzilla, with multiple parts that fly and combine further, which would reach about 1 kilometer in height."
Holy Christ the Anime Trilogy might actually be the biggest missed opportunity in this entire franchise
You could probably summarizes it as that, yeah. Tons of cool ideas that went unused or were poorly executed.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm curious: What do you '55 fans see in that design? At certain angles, and in certain shots (often dependent on the photography), I think it looks OK, but overall, it's my least favorite Godzilla suit (yes, even below the SoG costume). Give me the unused 1957 Godzilla suit instead.

Resized Image
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:40 pm I'm curious: What do you '55 fans see in that design? At certain angles, and in certain shots (often dependent on the photography), I think it looks OK, but overall, it's my least favorite Godzilla suit (yes, even below the SoG costume). Give me the unused 1957 Godzilla suit instead.

Resized Image
I agree. The 57 suit for the Volcano Monsters looks much better.
For Emperor and Empire!