Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote:Wow, I'll try to "look it up"
:| I’m stumped.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
Hi stumped I'm dad.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
Hi stumped I'm dad.
Hey... Daddy.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

That moment there's a knock at your door after being called daddy by a 17yr old on a Godzilla forum.

:shock:

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

A lot of people’s complaints about the Godzilla Monster Planet Trilogy are stupid and pointless and just boil down to “it’s different, wahh!” There are numerous legitimate complaints about it, do not get me wrong or take offense if you don’t like the trilogy, I just think the fan base in general very unfairly shits on it.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:A lot of people’s complaints about the Godzilla Monster Planet Trilogy are stupid and pointless and just boil down to “it’s different, wahh!” There are numerous legitimate complaints about it, do not get me wrong or take offense if you don’t like the trilogy, I just think the fan base in general very unfairly shits on it.
I never thought Godzilla becoming a plant was really a bad thing. Heck really, no idea in it is really bad per se.

I just don't like how it acts like it's this really philosophical masterpiece of animation and peak of character development and poop when it's really not.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:A lot of people’s complaints about the Godzilla Monster Planet Trilogy are stupid and pointless and just boil down to “it’s different, wahh!” There are numerous legitimate complaints about it, do not get me wrong or take offense if you don’t like the trilogy, I just think the fan base in general very unfairly shits on it.
Nice strawmanning
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Here's one I think I've said before that I'm fairly certain is unpopular

I prefer the TriStar Godzilla we got from Patrick Tatopoulos than the one we would have gotten from Stan Winston's design and concept; Now, don't get me wrong, Stan Winston's is FAR more faithful to the OG Japanese Godzilla but...well, that was kind of the problem for me. It was too faithful IMO. It just looks like Heisei Godzilla with a different coat of paint slapped on it.

vs

This even applies to The Gryphon who, when you think about it, was basically just King Ghidorah; He was an alien sent to conquer the world by aliens with multiple heads (his hydra-like tongue), he would have had electrical powers, and he is made from smaller aliens absorbing/fusing together to make a really big one (The Probe Bats absorb a bunch of wildlife and then fuse to form The Gryphon, and Heisei Ghidorah came about from the three Dorats fusing together from being exposed to radiation)

With Stan Winston's design, there's no distinctive silhouette or aesthetic to it that can make us say "Yeah, that's OUR (ie America's) Godzilla!". Legendary, IMO, has done an excellent job at this-he's got a unique but recognizable design, awesome take on the roar and powers, and just an overhaul that makes him stand out and not seem like a carbon copy of Toho's Godzilla with this aesthetic of an 'Alpha Predator' or 'leader' of the Titans.

Patrick Tatopoulos' design, while not inherently very faithful, is just so unique and cool-I love the shark like fins, the lean and muscular sexy physique, the osteoderms and scaly 'plates' on his arms and legs, and the brownish grey with iridescent blue highlights. Heck, even in spite of this radical departure, the design was able to work as Godzilla if the execution wasn't screoonked up (i.e not having terrible writing, infuriating characters, and nerfing the poop out of him like the original film) as is the case with Godzilla: The Series and its cult following. And honestly, I feel it would have kinda sucked not to get such a unique monster design, especially now that they've been re-invented and have been moved away from their rocky start.

Heck, if the 1994 film had been made and was a success, we might not have gotten the Legendary MonsterVerse and all of its unique monsters; No MUTOs, No Skullcrawlers, No Shinomura, No Methuselah, No Scylla-After all, why make a different American Godzilla franchise if the original was such a success? And in the end, G'94 was never forgotten-various plot points had been reused for a multitude of other Kaiju flicks (such as Godzilla 2014 and the MUTOs and the Heisei Gamera series and the contrasting Gyaos). Even as its own entity it's been discussed and debated and given new life as its own professionally drawn fan-comic.

So in the end, I'm glad we got Emmerich and Devlin's rotting pile of fish; We got a unique monster species that had a great cartoon and has since been re-tooled to be something unique, an awesome new American Godzilla franchise, and Godzilla '94 has been given new life both in film from other franchises and as its own thing.
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:49 pm Here's one I think I've said before that I'm fairly certain is unpopular

I prefer the TriStar Godzilla we got from Patrick Tatopoulos than the one we would have gotten from Stan Winston's design and concept; Now, don't get me wrong, Stan Winston's is FAR more faithful to the OG Japanese Godzilla but...well, that was kind of the problem for me. It was too faithful IMO.

Now, don't get me wrong, Stan Winston's is FAR more faithful to the OG Japanese Godzilla but...well, that was kind of the problem for me. It was too faithful IMO. It just looks like Heisei Godzilla with a different coat of paint slapped on it. There

vs

This even applies to The Gryphon who, when you think about it, was basically just King Ghidorah; He was an alien sent to conquer the world by aliens with multiple heads (his hydra-like tongue), he would have had electrical powers, and he is made from smaller aliens absorbing/fusing together to make a really big one (The Probe Bats absorb a bunch of wildlife and then fuse to form The Gryphon, and Heisei Ghidorah came about from the three Dorats fusing together from being exposed to radiation)

With Stan Winston's design, there's no distinctive silhouette or aesthetic to it that can make us say "Yeah, that's OUR (ie America's) Godzilla!". Legendary, IMO, has done an excellent job at this-he's got a unique but recognizable design, awesome take on the roar and powers, and just an overhaul that makes him stand out and not seem like a carbon copy of Toho's Godzilla with this aesthetic of an 'Alpha Predator' or 'leader' of the Titans.

Patrick Tatopoulos' design, while not inherently very faithful, is just so unique and cool-I love the shark like fins, the lean and muscular sexy physique, the osteoderms and scaly 'plates' on his arms and legs, and the brownish grey with iridescent blue highlights. Heck, even in spite of this radical departure, the design was able to work as Godzilla if the execution wasn't screoonked up (i.e not having terrible writing, infuriating characters, and nerfing the poop out of him like the original film) as is the case with Godzilla: The Series and its cult following. And honestly, I feel it would have kinda sucked not to get such a unique monster design, especially now that they've been re-invented and have been moved away from their rocky start.

Heck, if the 1994 film had been made and was a success, we might not have gotten the Legendary MonsterVerse and all of its unique monsters; No MUTOs, No Skullcrawlers, No Shinomura, No Methuselah, No Scylla-After all, why make a different American Godzilla franchise if the original was such a success? And in the end, G'94 was never forgotten-various plot points had been reused for a multitude of other Kaiju flicks (such as Godzilla 2014 and the MUTOs and the Heisei Gamera series and the contrasting Gyaos). Even as its own entity it's been discussed and debated and given new life as its own professionally drawn fan-comic.

So in the end, I'm glad we got Emmerich and Devlin's rotting pile of fish; We got a unique monster species that had a great cartoon and has since been re-tooled to be something unique, an awesome new American Godzilla franchise, and Godzilla '94 has been given new life both in film from other franchises and as its own thing.
Your thumbnail doesn't surprise me.

Besides, I also see a bit of the '54 design influence in there,
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

SonOfGorgo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:05 am
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:49 pm Here's one I think I've said before that I'm fairly certain is unpopular

I prefer the TriStar Godzilla we got from Patrick Tatopoulos than the one we would have gotten from Stan Winston's design and concept; Now, don't get me wrong, Stan Winston's is FAR more faithful to the OG Japanese Godzilla but...well, that was kind of the problem for me. It was too faithful IMO.

Now, don't get me wrong, Stan Winston's is FAR more faithful to the OG Japanese Godzilla but...well, that was kind of the problem for me. It was too faithful IMO. It just looks like Heisei Godzilla with a different coat of paint slapped on it. There

vs

Your thumbnail doesn't surprise me.

Besides, I also see a bit of the '54 design influence in there,
Yeah that's fair-Both in terms of influence and the fact that my thumbnail kind of would give away my opinion. Hopefully I was able to at least give some adequate reasoning for my thought process

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i don't hte the 94 for it being too faithful, i just hate it because that face, hands and body just look so... ugly. Like there's nothing endearing about it.

And reading the script for this movie, yeah i'm glad this one actually got scrapped. The entire Millennium series probably wouldn't have even been a thing and that holds two of my favorite Godzilla movies, and i wouldn't trade that for a film that sounds really subpar.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:49 pmWith Stan Winston's design, there's no distinctive silhouette or aesthetic to it that can make us say "Yeah, that's OUR (ie America's) Godzilla!".
I disagree about the aesthetic: the Winston team's Godzilla design was much more reptilian than any of the preceding Toho versions.

But even if that hadn't been the case, I'm not sure the de Bont film needed a Godzilla that was distinctly "America's Godzilla". Basically everything about the production, starting with Rossio & Elliott's script and ending with de Bont's fight with the Sony brass, was done with the intent of respectfully paying homage to the Godzilla series, so I think it's fitting that they went with a pretty faithful character design.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Terasawa wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:42 am
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:49 pmWith Stan Winston's design, there's no distinctive silhouette or aesthetic to it that can make us say "Yeah, that's OUR (ie America's) Godzilla!".
I disagree about the aesthetic: the Winston team's Godzilla design was much more reptilian than any of the preceding Toho versions.

But even if that hadn't been the case, I'm not sure the de Bont film needed a Godzilla that was distinctly "America's Godzilla". Basically everything about the production, starting with Rossio & Elliott's script and ending with de Bont's fight with the Sony brass, was done with the intent of respectfully paying homage to the Godzilla series, so I think it's fitting that they went with a pretty faithful character design.
That's also reasonable-he definitely looks a lot more reptilian compared to his predecessors in terms of design (gator tail, prominent scales, crocodilian eyes) and it makes sense to have a Godzilla design that pays homage to the original in a film that was written to do the same.

I'm by no means saying the Roland Emmerich movie was 'better'-I can count the things I like about it one or two hands, and everything else I find hard to put up with at best and awful at worst and I fully understand why this flick was such a bomb.

I also don't hate the design-It's perfectly acceptable in my opinion, but I don't think it should have been America's foray into the Godzilla franchise because it seems so cookie-cutter in design-heck, it kinda looks a little like ThirdStreetGoji to me (a design I feel is a bit underrated)

Again, I hope I don't sound too much like a G'98 FanBoy...heck, as much as I love that Iguana, I can watch him get two-shot all day by Final Wars Godzilla (which in fairness isn't that much worse than how anyone else in the movie fares against him). And I'm willing to admit the movie wasn't good, like, at all, and Devlin and Emmerich were out of their screeonking minds and had no business directing something they didn't care about and was a major middle finger to the real Japanese Godzilla. But thankfully that was later rectified with the animated series, and I'm glad we got such a unique design and two American Godzillas.
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

I think that Shin Ghidorah's design sucks. Okay, maybe "sucks" is a bit harsh, but you'd think that a character that is supposed to be the adversary of the "god incarnate" would have a more visually interesting design. You would especially think so in a universe that was conceptualized by Hideaki Anno.

But, no. Shin Ghidorah is essentially a chunkier Heisei Ghidorah with this ugly spiked texture that lines the entire design. I really don't know what they were going for when doing that, but the attraction doesn't make it look good at all. It just feels very uninspired and "samey."

I actually much prefer the Anime Ghidorah's design, regardless of that character's role in the film. It actually feels much more abstract and alien, which is the heart of King Ghidorah.

I just expected something more.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shin Godzilla's design is ass.

Harou is a cunt.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:54 pm Harou is a cunt.
I didn't think this was unpopular... But yeah, terrible protagonist. Absolutely terrible.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

NSZ wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:24 pm
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:54 pm Harou is a cunt.
I didn't think this was unpopular... But yeah, terrible protagonist. Absolutely terrible.
Out of all the characters to name after the first Godzilla suit actor...that guy.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I legit think almost everyone in the fandom thinks Haruo is a trash character.

DaimosZ
Ronin

Post by DaimosZ »

While not explicitly related to Godzilla, I think the single most overrated Toho SFX movie is Prophecies of Nostradamus. On top of it being pretty offensive even today (Since discrimination of A-Bomb survivors and their descendants still exist today and the movie depicting them as the spawns of Gollum from Lord of the Rings is pretty messed up), it defeats its own anti pollution message by saying humanity was screwed anyways because Nostradamus said humanity was destined to die out. The movie could have used that in a subversive way, as a message to defy destiny as it shouldn't define your future, and while it does try to do that, it doesn't do it well in favor of pure shock value.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

DaimosZ wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:01 pm While not explicitly related to Godzilla, I think the single most overrated Toho SFX movie is Prophecies of Nostradamus. On top of it being pretty offensive even today (Since discrimination of A-Bomb survivors and their descendants still exist today and the movie depicting them as the spawns of Gollum from Lord of the Rings is pretty messed up), it defeats its own anti pollution message by saying humanity was screwed anyways because Nostradamus said humanity was destined to die out. The movie could have used that in a subversive way, as a message to defy destiny as it shouldn't define your future, and while it does try to do that, it doesn't do it well in favor of pure shock value.
It's also two hours long and can't decide if it wants to be a honest message film or a sleazy Toei-style exploitation movie.

(But at least the photography and music are first rate.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.