Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Stump Feet »

I will not have you telling me how I should or shouldn’t discipline my son, Goji! He’s muh boy and I’ll wash whatever I want with soap till he learns to clean up his act!

This is a family forum and I won’t have him insinuating BaragonBrehs up inside anyone!
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Stump Feet wrote:I will not have you telling me how I should or shouldn’t discipline my son, Goji! He’s muh boy and I’ll wash whatever I want with soap till he learns to clean up his act!

This is a family forum and I won’t have him insinuating BaragonBrehs up inside anyone!
You mad Breh?

*Breh is the new Bro*

And if your gonna wash me with soap, use the good kind and also I want the Full Metal Jacket treatment.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:In the Showa through Millennium films, I find Megaguirus to be the best villain monster.
Megaguirus to me is a weak villain in the worst film of the series. But if you like her/him thats cool
Godzillian wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:In the Showa through Millennium films, I find Megaguirus to be the best villain monster.
I've never gotten the allure of that kaiju to be honest. I mean it's a mean looking dragonfly but.......meh.
Same, she's just seems very boring. Her powers aren't even that unique
This may sound crazy but, her not having a crap load of energy beams/abilities is one of the major reasons why I've come to enjoy her so much. Sure she may not be as durable as Orga or Hedorah, but her speed, aggressiveness, and tenacity made up for it. She was a threat to Godzilla without having an insane healing factor or energy shield. She just used good ole fashioned physicality to put Godzilla on the ropes.

Are there more prominent and flashy monster villains? Of course, but I think Megaguirus is a great example of the enemy monster not needing to be Godzilla's equal in every way, shape or form.
Last edited by Dracosaurian on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Beams suck, we need more physical bois.

also, her movie is meh bordering on disappointing but Megaguirus is a queen and I want so much more of her.

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Beams suck, we need more physical bois.

also, her movie is meh bordering on disappointing but Megaguirus is a queen and I want so much more of her.
The design is unique as well as her......I wouldn't mind seeing her against Mothra or even Rodan.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Stump Feet wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote: You seem very familiar with this forum and the people here, and awfully caught up with the drama, for someone whose pretty new still.

Been here before, champ?
What are you even talking about? How'd you even manage to get that out of anything I said? I'd say I'm caught up enough when he's been on my case since the first day I decided to post my criticisms of the movie...
Sorry bud, maybe I called it wrong. But, as the Joker once said, you can't be too careful, what with all these weirdos running around!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Got some real good ones for you guys...

Gamera 96' is my absolute least favorite design for the series, something about its face and eyes look so off imo. I greatly prefer his 95' suit and his movie over the other two.

I think Destroy All Monsters is a far better send off than Godzilla vs. Destroyah.

I prefer G14's stump feet over the 2019's and wish they were never changed.

Kiryu's pretty lame imo and doesn't do anything for me.

Heisei Rodan has to be the most poorly realized kaiju from that era.

Minya over Little Godzilla anyday.

G84 is my favorite design from that era.

I genuinely like Kong's suit from 62'.

I prefer Orga over all the new Millennium monsters.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Stump Feet wrote:Got some real good ones for you guys...

Gamera 96' is my absolute least favorite design for the series, something about its face and eyes look so off imo. I greatly prefer his 95' suit and his movie over the other two.

I think Destroy All Monsters is a far better send off than Godzilla vs. Destroyah.

Uh......where's the unpopular opinions breh?

I tend to agree with most. Kong '62 suit is great, Minya forever, Orga IS better than the millennium era cast, Heisei Rodan kinda sucks ........But Gamera Guardian of the Universe is probably the best movie from the franchise..... funny enough my favorites are in the order they were released GGOTU, Legion, then Gamera 3.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Another man of pure taste I see :P
Long Live The Sting

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Honestly, the 1995 Gamera is my least favorite design for the character. The 1996 version’s body proportions, head and eyes are a huge improvement for me, the 1995 version just looks dumb in comparison. Plus the 1996 version just looks (a tad slightly) meaner and more aggressive.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Stump Feet wrote:Got some real good ones for you guys...

Pretty much agree with all of this except for '96 Gamera. I really think '95 looks a bit too cartoony, and '96 is the definitive look between '99s edginess and '95s campiness. But, the rest I'm with you.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Stump Feet wrote: The MonsterVerse Beyond thread, only instead of using his actual username, he used the initials "HB" which stands for his "clever" little nickname he uses for him, Hatergonbreh or whatever it is exactly.

Funny enough though, I went back to the thread to see if I may have misunderstood him but he edited his post twice and removed it, good thing I'm pretty certain mods are able to see exactly what a post said previously no matter how many times it's been edited so I hope he doesn't try to lie about it :lol:
OK I'm gonna come clean on this one. I did make a snide comment about you most likely not watching KOTM simply because of the director, but the part in brackets was not really me trying to compare you to Hateboner himself, but solely sniping at him for his "Catchy names" and changed "HB" to "they" to fit the reference better.

There, that should clear this up enough for us to move on and not bog down this thread any longer.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Count me in the camp that favors the '95 Gamera over the '96 one. '95 is so expressive, and there's a real sense of warmth about him. He's a monster I look at an genuinely like, and in those final moments of the movie, you get a real sense that he's as conscious of his connection to Asagi as she is.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

eabaker wrote:Count me in the camp that favors the '95 Gamera over the '96 one. '95 is so expressive, and there's a real sense of warmth about him. He's a monster I look at an genuinely like, and in those final moments of the movie, you get a real sense that he's as conscious of his connection to Asagi as she is.
That's exactly why I prefer this Gamera over the rest, there's so much personality that comes across in his eyes and I know exactly what scene you're referring to, the look he gives right before that final roar in the oil refinery, yes?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Looks like we have a problem here don't we.....?

The 95'ers and the 96'ers....

You know we need to settle this......

DANCE OFF MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stump Feet wrote:
eabaker wrote:Count me in the camp that favors the '95 Gamera over the '96 one. '95 is so expressive, and there's a real sense of warmth about him. He's a monster I look at an genuinely like, and in those final moments of the movie, you get a real sense that he's as conscious of his connection to Asagi as she is.
That's exactly why I prefer this Gamera over the rest, there's so much personality that comes across in his eyes and I know exactly what scene you're referring to, the look he gives right before that final roar in the oil refinery, yes?
That would be the scene I'm referring to, yes!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

God, that scene's absolutely iconic for me, so much is said there in his eyes at the end, warmth is a very good term for it.

The other two suits just don't come anywhere close to having the amount of personality that 95' had.
Long Live The Sting

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

The Japanese version of Godzilla Raids Again is one of the best Kaiju films, and the sped up fight scenes are fun to watch.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Anguirus wrote:The Japanese version of Godzilla Raids Again is one of the best Kaiju films.
And why do you feel this way exactly?
Long Live The Sting

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I like the more somber tone in the Japanese version. As for the film itself, I find the monster battles fun to watch, Anguirus is introduced, and I am in suspense throughout.