Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:59 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:49 am Monster Zero was the third-ish Godzilla movie I ever saw, and Ghidorah's retreat at the end was one of the scenes that stuck with me the most. So this is deep, foundational stuff for me, and the assertion that Godzilla and Rodan didn't win that battle attacks one of the oldest assumptions my fanhood is built on. Every molecule of my being rebels against it.

-buuuut you do at least acknowledge that Ghidorah was in fact running away, and I have to admit that your falling into the water argument has a certain logic to it.
I mean how else is one supposed to take that scene? Godzilla, Rodan & Ghidorah fall into the water, Ghidorah is the only one to surface when it flies away and we don't see Godzilla & Rodan again in that film. Hell characters even debate of Rodan and Godzilla are dead with one of the MCs going "nah they are too tough for that" after Ghidorah fled.

If you count this as an victory for Kong, you also have to be fair and give the win to Ghidorah too. Which makes it running away all the more baffling. Ending just ends up pleasing nobody lol
Why do you assume he's "running away"? Just because he's leaving doesn't mean he's fleeing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spuro wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:01 am
godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:59 am If you count this as an victory for Kong, you also have to be fair and give the win to Ghidorah too. Which makes it running away all the more baffling. Ending just ends up pleasing nobody lol
Well, to be fair, Kong also swam away too. :P

But I'm sure there's no fans out there that contest the victor for that movie, surely...
Kong just beat Godzilla, he wanted to go home at that point and drink lol
eabaker wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:45 am
godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:59 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:49 am Monster Zero was the third-ish Godzilla movie I ever saw, and Ghidorah's retreat at the end was one of the scenes that stuck with me the most. So this is deep, foundational stuff for me, and the assertion that Godzilla and Rodan didn't win that battle attacks one of the oldest assumptions my fanhood is built on. Every molecule of my being rebels against it.

-buuuut you do at least acknowledge that Ghidorah was in fact running away, and I have to admit that your falling into the water argument has a certain logic to it.
I mean how else is one supposed to take that scene? Godzilla, Rodan & Ghidorah fall into the water, Ghidorah is the only one to surface when it flies away and we don't see Godzilla & Rodan again in that film. Hell characters even debate of Rodan and Godzilla are dead with one of the MCs going "nah they are too tough for that" after Ghidorah fled.

If you count this as an victory for Kong, you also have to be fair and give the win to Ghidorah too. Which makes it running away all the more baffling. Ending just ends up pleasing nobody lol
Why do you assume he's "running away"? Just because he's leaving doesn't mean he's fleeing.
Well for one, it is counted as a loss against Ghidorah. So the only way it could stick as that is if he had been running away.

Second, is the planet destroying monster just decides "eh whatever" after the only two obstacles to stopping its destruction are out of the picture seems out of character. Not like it was a peaceful (Relative) monster minding its own business like Showa Kong.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:28 am
Well for one, it is counted as a loss against Ghidorah. So the only way it could stick as that is if he had been running away.
That's just... different people making the assumption. It's still an assumption, not evidence.
Second, is the planet destroying monster just decides "eh whatever" after the only two obstacles to stopping its destruction are out of the picture seems out of character. Not like it was a peaceful (Relative) monster minding its own business like Showa Kong.
But we have no reason to think King Ghidorah had any interest in destroying the Earth at that moment in time. He wasn't there of his own free will, and he might not have felt like continuing a process that was being forced on him to begin with.

Heck, here's one way things might have looked from Ghidorah's perspective:

- Wake up, go to get my daily space exercise
- Hey, what are those little flying saucers?
- Uh, suddenly I'm on a planet, fighting Godzilla and Rodan again? Screw this, I'm outta here!
Last edited by eabaker on Sun May 08, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:41 am
That's just... different people making the assumption. It's still an assumption, not evidence.
But we have no reason to think King Ghidorah had any interest in destroying the Earth at that moment in time. He wasn't there of his own free will, and he might not have felt like continuing a process that was being forced on him to begin with.

- Uh, suddenly I'm on a planet, fighting Godzilla and Mothra again? Screw this, I'm outta here!
Godzilla & Rodan. Mothra wasn't in the movie.

:lol:

Semantics aside, Ghidorah literally tried to destroy the world the previous movie with no mind control involved, and if he just wanted to bug off as it was not bothered with it, he didn't need to fight Godzilla or Rodan once the mind control broke. Yet he did anyway.

Seemed clear the intent was to portray it as running away, far as the film makers presented it, which doesn't make much sense given he by all rights won that fight.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:52 am
eabaker wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:41 am

- Uh, suddenly I'm on a planet, fighting Godzilla and Mothra again? Screw this, I'm outta here!
Godzilla & Rodan. Mothra wasn't in the movie.

:lol:

Semantics aside, Ghidorah literally tried to destroy the world the previous movie with no mind control involved, and if he just wanted to bug off as it was not bothered with it, he didn't need to fight Godzilla or Rodan once the mind control broke. Yet he did anyway.

Seemed clear the intent was to portray it as running away, far as the film makers presented it, which doesn't make much sense given he by all rights won that fight.
I thought that Toho officially said that was a tie/stalemate for the ending of Monster zero.

Also, Godzilla attacked first after they woke up from the mind control.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Sun May 08, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla and Rodan lost the fight but forces Ghidorah to retreat. They won in defeat.

Kong ko'ed Godzilla but sensenhe was going home and Godzilla was the bad guy Kong won.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Regarding the IotAM debate, perhaps it had to do with being forced underwater. Ghidorah is good on land, air, and space, but suppose Showa Ghidorah doesn't fight that well underwater. Ghidorah not only found itself forced into a battle with two old foes, but also was forced into an environment where they had an advantage. In that kind of situation, retreat would look like the best way out.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:07 pm Regarding the IotAM debate, perhaps it had to do with being forced underwater. Ghidorah is good on land, air, and space, but suppose Showa Ghidorah doesn't fight that well underwater. Ghidorah not only found itself forced into a battle with two old foes, but also was forced into an environment where they had an advantage. In that kind of situation, retreat would look like the best way out.
Interesting to think that GKotm showcases that Ghidorah is bad underwater, although that’s clearly drastically removed from IOTAM.

Ghidorah fights Godzilla underwater in GMK, and also leans towards Ghidorah not liking water. Granted, that design of Ghidorah was originally going to be the more amphibious Varan, but it’s funny thinking that Ghidorah might just be shitty in the ocean.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I always interpreted the ending of MZ as the battle pretty much stopped as soon as the three monsters hit the water. No one won, no one lost. King Ghidorah decided to get the fuck out of there. But I would NEVER say it was a definitive win for KG since he's been a bad guy from day 1.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:03 am I always interpreted the ending of MZ as the battle pretty much stopped as soon as the three monsters hit the water. No one won, no one lost. King Ghidorah decided to get the fuck out of there. But I would NEVER say it was a definitive win for KG since he's been a bad guy from day 1.
I mean, honestly, Monster Zero is an alien invasion movie first, a kaiju movie second, and the final battle is an afterthought. The climax has already occurred with the defeat of the X-seijin, and the monster fight is rushed to a hault because it doesn't really matter to the movie.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:26 am
Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:03 am I always interpreted the ending of MZ as the battle pretty much stopped as soon as the three monsters hit the water. No one won, no one lost. King Ghidorah decided to get the skreeonk out of there. But I would NEVER say it was a definitive win for KG since he's been a bad guy from day 1.
I mean, honestly, Monster Zero is an alien invasion movie first, a kaiju movie second, and the final battle is an afterthought. The climax has already occurred with the defeat of the X-seijin, and the monster fight is rushed to a hault because it doesn't really matter to the movie.
Take away the kaiju, you essentially have an episode of the OG Star Trek.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon May 09, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

I feel minlla is a mistake. And that little godzilla was created to fix that mistake

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Minya was successful in giving the Godzilla series the kid appeal that kept it going for a few more years despite competition from Gamera, Ultraman and TV. Minya let the franchise hang on longer. There's a reason every series afterwards included a baby Godzilla.

And Little Godzilla was just as derpy as Minya. If anything it's cutesy chibi look was worse than anything Minya could have done. But the reality is that Baby/Little/Jr Godzilla exist because Minya was popular. It's not correcting a mistake. It's recognizing the popularity of something and building on it.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed May 11, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Minya is perfect and fills my heart with joy.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Minya is so small and has no pockets for snacks. We must protect him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know, back ibln my early days of being in the kaiju fandom, I used to think Minilla was ugly as sin. Super annoying, thought he was the inferior Godzilla kid etc.

But now? Yeah, he's pretty darn cute. :) .. Not AS cute as Baby Godzilla though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:03 am I always interpreted the ending of MZ as the battle pretty much stopped as soon as the three monsters hit the water. No one won, no one lost. King Ghidorah decided to get the skreeonk out of there. But I would NEVER say it was a definitive win for KG since he's been a bad guy from day 1.
I interpet it as Ghidorah won the fight but Godzilla and Rodan won because Ghidorah was forced from Earth again.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

From what I've seen of it, Hana Barbera > SP.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Well I can’t believe i’m saying this but I have re-watched the anime trilogy, it is still very flawed but there are very good things I forgot about. I really can’t believe I’m saying this but

Spoiler:
Anime Trilogy > Singular Point