Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Gigantis »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm Final Wars Rodan followed the Showa trend of being as tall as Godzilla, and that was 11 years after GvMGII. Much as I personally dislike Rodan being smaller than Godzilla, I'm pretty sure that that trend has nothing to do with Heisei Rodan.
Yeah there's that, but tbh i think that's because Ryuhei Kitamura was a huge nerd when it came to Showa era Godzilla. Compare FW to how many times Rodan has constantly been portrayed as smaller than Godzilla though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm Final Wars Rodan followed the Showa trend of being as tall as Godzilla, and that was 11 years after GvMGII. Much as I personally dislike Rodan being smaller than Godzilla, I'm pretty sure that that trend has nothing to do with Heisei Rodan.
Yeah there's that, but tbh i think that's because Ryuhei Kitamura was a huge nerd when it came to Showa era Godzilla. Compare FW to how many times Rodan has constantly been portrayed as smaller than Godzilla though.
It's only in recent times that Rodan has now entered the trend of being smaller than Godzilla--that being MonsterVerse, Singular Point and GMUB Rodan.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
If anything, it feels more as if MonsterVerse Rodan started that trend.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

There’s five different Rodans in actual films (six if you count 56 and Showa as seperate), three are smaller than Godzilla, and they had no influence on each other. MV Rodan is very blatantly a giant reference to Showa between emerging from a volcano and charging King Ghidorah head on, and SP Rodan was actually designed in 2018 so MV had no effect on it and Heisei maybe inspired the design partially potentially but I doubt Heisei being smaller than Godzilla was the entire reason SP Rodan is regular pterodactyl size.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm There’s five different Rodans in actual films (six if you count 56 and Showa as seperate), three are smaller than Godzilla, and they had no influence on each other. MV Rodan is very blatantly a giant reference to Showa between emerging from a volcano and charging King Ghidorah head on, and SP Rodan was actually designed in 2018 so MV had no effect on it and Heisei maybe inspired the design partially potentially but I doubt Heisei being smaller than Godzilla was the entire reason SP Rodan is regular pterodactyl size.
SP Rodan was designed in 2018?

I didn't know that!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 pm
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm There’s five different Rodans in actual films (six if you count 56 and Showa as seperate), three are smaller than Godzilla, and they had no influence on each other. MV Rodan is very blatantly a giant reference to Showa between emerging from a volcano and charging King Ghidorah head on, and SP Rodan was actually designed in 2018 so MV had no effect on it and Heisei maybe inspired the design partially potentially but I doubt Heisei being smaller than Godzilla was the entire reason SP Rodan is regular pterodactyl size.
SP Rodan was designed in 2018?

I didn't know that!
Yup, same with Godzilla Ultima and Anguirus. https://lsdjellyfishu.tumblr.com/post/6 ... gworld-not
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Heisei Rodan is neat.

That's it.

I don't hate or love him, he's just a nice incarnation.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:29 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:41 pm People don't like Heisei Rodan mainly cause his puppet, which people feel is stiff
They need to rewatch any other Heisei movie with a winged monster, because Rodan’s wing movements look way better than Ghidorah, Mothra, Battra, and Flying-Form Destoroyah in flight.
"At least it isn't as bad as X" isn't much of a defense. :lol:

For my part, I just think the smaller size and narrow wings fail to look imposing. The Showa suits did a better job of looking like a big-name kaiju should: powerful. Heisei isn't terrible, though. The design has definitely grown on me over time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Anguirus in the Showa Era only has a good design in GRA and DAM. 72-74 feel off, and he doesn’t have fangs anymore.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 pm

It's only in recent times that Rodan has now entered the trend of being smaller than Godzilla--that being MonsterVerse, Singular Point and GMUB Rodan.
Whats GMUB?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Whats GMUB?
The ride

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Whats GMUB?
The recently-made ride in Japan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:43 pm Anguirus in the Showa Era only has a good design in GRA and DAM. 72-74 feel off, and he doesn’t have fangs anymore.
Anguirus was only fang-less in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:29 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:10 pm I dislike the Heisei Rodan because the entire design is fundamentally wrong. He should also be close to Godzilla's equal in terms of size and strength. Now he's a smaller pteranodon who can be defeated by Godzilla without too much effort.
He literally bashed Godzilla all around the place and gave him a harder fight than Mothra or Battra ever did on their own, and kicked Mechagodzilla and the Garuda’s ass until he got shot point-blank with a weapon that put Godzilla on his ass. An incarnation of a character does not need to be rigidly the same as the original with only minor changes and can’t have any drastic change in terms of size and power-relation to other characters, otherwise it’d just get boring.
Gigantis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:03 pm Have you looked at that ugly as skreoonk beak of his? Or how he looks like an old man compared to most other incarnations? Or how stupidly small he is? (not helped by the fact he started the stupid trend of "Rodan needs to be way smaller than Godzilla!" that still persists to this day) OR his unneeded BS Fire power up he got for the dumbest reason? (singing children somehow makes you go Super Saiyan, ok)
Looks better than 64 Rodan’s cartoony-ass face. Or everything with FW Rodan’s design. GMK Ghidorah’s smaller than Godzilla despite every other version towering above him, so why is a smaller Rodan suddenly an atrocity? Fire Rodan’s color scheme is cool, and the singing just woke him up and made absorb a bunch of the radiation on the island.
godjacob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:41 pm People don't like Heisei Rodan mainly cause his puppet, which people feel is stiff
They need to rewatch any other Heisei movie with a winged monster, because Rodan’s wing movements look way better than Ghidorah, Mothra, Battra, and Flying-Form Destoroyah in flight.
I wasn't arguing against you, just put up stock complaints of it. I never had an issue with Heisei Rodan lol

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:20 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:43 pm Anguirus in the Showa Era only has a good design in GRA and DAM. 72-74 feel off, and he doesn’t have fangs anymore.
Anguirus was only fang-less in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.
Well, in Gigan and Megalon his fangs seemed less prevalent.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:29 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:11 pm I feel Hedorah in general gets way overhyped. He wasn't the first nor last Godzilla enemy he needed human help to defeat, and his "regeneration" is far less impressive in practice than it is hyped to be.
You're missing the point. It's not that Godzilla needed help to beat Hedorah, it's that Godzilla couldn't do anything to hurt him. Against Ghidorah, say, or Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus, a fight was at least possible. Godzilla could hold his own and do damage, even if he was ultimately overmatched without help. Against Hedorah, he was just powerless, nothing but an annoyance. Melee did nothing. The atomic ray did nothing. And Hedorah's own weapons were very effective against Godzilla, even burning the flesh clean off his hand. No other weapon ever hurt him quite like that, and that would've been the fight over right there for most kaiju.

No kaiju without high-end regeneration or absurd durability could withstand that acid, and no kaiju without high-end beam weapons can hope to do any damage to Hedorah. That's why he's regarded as being so dangerous. You could literally put him up against Showa Rodan, Anguirus, Jet Jaguar, Manda, both Gargantuas, Gigan, Kumonga, all four Kamacuras, Ebirah, Gorosaurus, and Titanosaurus, and he could take them. Their best case scenario would be a pyrrhic victory where they tear him apart and temporarily inconvenience him, but cripple or even kill themselves in the process.
Hedorah for years was confused with strongest Godzilla enemy and most dangerous.

Hedorah is by far the most dangerous but it was simply due to unkillability. Ghidorah in the 60's and Mechagodzilla for example Godzilla couldn't overpower.

Hedorah was getting its ass kicked by Godzilla couldn't put it down.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Final Wars Rodan is my second favorite after ‘56 Showa Rodan, both in design and incarnation.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

While I don't have a problem with a smaller Rodan and Mothra (if the Showa filmmakers had no problem making her smaller we shouldn't either), and in some ways prefer it that way (size differences can add interesting dynamics), it would be nice to see a Godzilla-level Rodan and absolutely massive living god Mothra again (people forget how fucking big she was in the original).

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:39 am Final Wars Rodan is my second favorite after ‘56 Showa Rodan, both in design and incarnation.
Design, I can get behind, but incarnation? I feel he had no personality, and just acted as another wedge in Godzilla’s way. All he did was fly around, and then he got curbed.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Speaking of Final Wars…

I know damn well this isn’t an unpopular opinion literally everywhere outside of here, but, I actually love FinalGoji’s suit/design

It’s a great mix between slim Showa and fit, muscular Heisei. Its spines and red eyes are badass, too.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:35 am Speaking of Final Wars…

I know damn well this isn’t an unpopular opinion literally everywhere outside of here, but, I actually love FinalGoji’s suit/design

It’s a great mix between slim Showa and fit, muscular Heisei. Its spines and red eyes are badass, too.
Ah but you see you are wrong because uh well um uh...ratzilla!
-Average TK user during the Best Suits design tournament