Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

^Agreed there.
I will say that the one from Singular Point was really good, and there are elements that I think did work better. I'm hoping someone finds a way to edit the two together, I think if the speed and stuff can be matched (and there isn't too much obnoxious overlap between the chanting) the two would sound amazing together.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Logan268
Gotengo Officer

Post by Logan268 »

City on the Edge of Battle is the best of the Anime Trilogy. Yeah I said it and the Anime trilogy is a whole is actually not as bad as most people think it is.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Logan268 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:29 pm City on the Edge of Battle is the best of the Anime Trilogy. Yeah I said it and the Anime trilogy is a whole is actually not as bad as most people think it is.
Finally, an unpopular opinion! But yeah, the common consensus is that CoteoB is the worst, and having someone say otherwise is refreshing, even though I disagree.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MechaGodzilla form from the Anime trilogy series is the best MG of any media.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

The Cyborg Whale from Godzilla Power hour, while woefully misnamed, is a wonderful concept and not one of the dumbest. So often rogue a.i. are superintelligent but this one actually acts like a malfunctioning machine. It is a rogue robot who wants to smash into things and will only use its great processing power when people and monsters dare to get in the way of its goal.
A rogue submarine with hostages inside is honestly just a great concept.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Speaking of another animated Godzilla, the Ice Borers are one of my favorite kaiju of the series. They might not seem that dangerous to Godzilla, but I liked their design and how they menaced the human characters.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is my favorite G film from the '60s.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Anguirus wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 pm Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is my favorite G film from the '60s.
My second favorite of the 60's. The first half is really good...it kinda falls apart once Godzilla shows up, but still a lot of fun.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Logan268
Gotengo Officer

Post by Logan268 »

Anguirus wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 pm Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is my favorite G film from the '60s.

It is also my second favorite Godzilla film of the 60s. I also think it's the second best of the Showa Era and might have the best plot of any Godzilla movie now that I think about it

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I don’t like DAM.
For Emperor and Empire!

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:50 pm I don’t like DAM.
I too do not like DAM.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

*gasp*

Voyager…not liking a Showa film?! What are you, some kind of…fake Showa fan?!?! :mad:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

DAMN!

Look at all our shocked faces :shock:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think that's a very unpopular opinion.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:50 am
I don't think that's a very unpopular opinion.
The fandom isn’t just TK. As far as I’m aware everyone loves this outside of our community here.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:06 pm The fandom isn’t just TK.
Yes, I'm quite aware of that, thank you.

I submit as evidence the Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski commentary for DAM, in which they comment on DAM's diminished status among G-fans. Of course, that was their observation, and granted, that was ten years ago now, but it's my observation in my experiences as well. I would truly be surprised if the majority of Godzilla fans thought it was a better-than-average Godzilla film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:06 pm The fandom isn’t just TK.
Yes, I'm quite aware of that, thank you.

I submit as evidence the Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski commentary for DAM, in which they comment on DAM's diminished status among G-fans. Of course, that was their observation, and granted, that was ten years ago now, but it's my observation in my experiences as well. I would truly be surprised if the majority of Godzilla fans thought it was a better-than-average Godzilla film.
Yeah, speaking anecdotally, I've seen the general fan consensus on that movie seem to drop significantly over the last 25 years or so. In part because the audience that was blown away by it at the time has started to fade away and been replaced by a newer generation, and in part because for a long time it had a special mystique as a result of being unavailable in the U.S.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've heard mixed reviews all around, critiquing the cast, pace, and other factors. However, it seems to be enjoyed as a "popcorn flick."
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

DAM ain't perfect but it's still very memorable. One of my favorite shots in the series is when Katsuo and Yoshido are interrogating Otani, and the camera cuts to their heads encircled by that decorative metalwork, on either side of Otani.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The first Godzilla film - and kaiju film - I ever saw for me, and I think when it premiered in the U.S. on TV in 1968.

Like the old saying goes, you never forget your first time. What stood out for me was the scene where the lightning bolt struck the makeshift lightning rod and awakened Godzilla, after which he burst through the seaside cliff and roared. Every time I see a scene like that, I say "He's ba-a-a-a-ack...and he is not happy!"