Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Terasawa »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:34 pm KingGoji looks so different and badass there, I love it. Don't belive I've seen it.
It's his seldom-seen puppet form!

Resized Image

I think it's only used for a few atomic breath shots, like this one, in the actual film. He's not looking so good from that angle in the behind the scenes pic, but I love the shot from the news flash trailer -- so striking.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:58 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:34 pm KingGoji looks so different and badass there, I love it. Don't belive I've seen it.
It's his seldom-seen puppet form!

Resized Image

I think it's only used for a few atomic breath shots, like this one, in the actual film. He's not looking so good from that angle in the behind the scenes pic, but I love the shot from the news flash trailer -- so striking.
OMG I love that head design. I DEMAND A 30 CM NOW. Thanks for sharing!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:37 pm What is your sig from?
This early King Kong vs. Godzilla trailer:

Man King Kong vs. Godzilla looks so good there. I love pretty much all of it. Is there any reason why Space Hunter M released that trailer? Has there been some new release I'm not privy to?

But it just goes to show how fantastic and beautiful the films are when they haven't been lost to time.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:01 am Man King Kong vs. Godzilla looks so good there. I love pretty much all of it. Is there any reason why Space Hunter M released that trailer? Has there been some new release I'm not privy to?
It's from Toho's new UHD/Blu-ray release talked about here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

That Kinggoji puppet sucks ass.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That face looks like GMK Baragon.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

I know a lot of people really like the G54 suit for one reason for another, and generally it looks pretty good in my opinion... except for certain close ups of the puppet. I cannot stand the G54 puppet head, because he looks like Kermit the Frog, and it takes away from the otherwise serious tone of the movie to suddenly have this "derp" face roaring next to some bird cages or peering over a hill. It detracts from the design in my opinion, and I'm glad that most of the close up puppets later on in the Showa series looked better.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Giratina93 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:23 pm I know a lot of people really like the G54 suit for one reason for another, and generally it looks pretty good in my opinion... except for certain close ups of the puppet. I cannot stand the G54 puppet head, because he looks like Kermit the Frog, and it takes away from the otherwise serious tone of the movie to suddenly have this "derp" face roaring next to some bird cages or peering over a hill. It detracts from the design in my opinion, and I'm glad that most of the close up puppets later on in the Showa series looked better.
I personally think even the suit itself isn't the most flattering to look at in certain shots, even outside the puppet which yeah that puppet is...not ideal. It is an iconic suit but the age does show, still didn't stop it from winning that Godzilla design poll for reasons I will never fully agree with.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Giratina93 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:23 pm I know a lot of people really like the G54 suit for one reason for another, and generally it looks pretty good in my opinion... except for certain close ups of the puppet. I cannot stand the G54 puppet head, because he looks like Kermit the Frog, and it takes away from the otherwise serious tone of the movie to suddenly have this "derp" face roaring next to some bird cages or peering over a hill. It detracts from the design in my opinion, and I'm glad that most of the close up puppets later on in the Showa series looked better.
It is a bad puppet, but I can forgive that because I like a lot of the shots it was used in. The bird cage, snapping at the clock tower, mauling Tokyo Tower, etc. Would've been nice if we we could have had a better puppet, but if a bad puppet is the price of having those moments in the movie, I've always been willing to pay it. Anyway, Gojira was the first movie of its kind, so it's totally understandable that some of the effects would come out a little wonky.

The suit itself is middling for me. Not the best, not the worst.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I actually like the G54 puppet and its snaggly teeth. :lol:

Although not as much as I like the suit.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I like the puppet Godzillas, ugly or not. :shrug:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 am I like the puppet Godzillas, ugly or not. :shrug:
I can't stop watching the jif in your sig. I don't know if that's popular, unpopular, whatever, but it's fascinating :lol:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I wonder why they went with KingGoji instead of that design.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am I wonder why they went with KingGoji instead of that design.
They're probably supposed to be the same design, just as this is. They didn't have precision methods available to them which would have given them nearly identical sculpts for the suit, puppet, and the other models. The shape and size of the snout account for the major difference between the suit and puppet, but otherwise I don't think they're too dissimilar.

The Japanese Wikipedia entry for the Showa Godzilla, citing Godzilla Graphic Collection, says that two puppets were used: one built for the film and another modified from an existing one, but I don't know if the one in my sig is the modified or newly-built version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I actually really like Orga and Megaguirus. I think they’re both pretty well designed and great fights in their respective films
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:16 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am I wonder why they went with KingGoji instead of that design.
They're probably supposed to be the same design, just as this is. They didn't have precision methods available to them which would have given them nearly identical sculpts for the suit, puppet, and the other models. The shape and size of the snout account for the major difference between the suit and puppet, but otherwise I don't think they're too dissimilar.

The Japanese Wikipedia entry for the Showa Godzilla, citing Godzilla Graphic Collection, says that two puppets were used: one built for the film and another modified from an existing one, but I don't know if the one in my sig is the modified or newly-built version.
Do any of these puppets still exist? I really want to start a props thread lol.

I always wondered what happened to that Godzilla Memorial Lounge sign in GvB.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

More a Kaiju opinion in general, but I consider the Monster'verse Kong the best version of the character yet even just in Skull Island. The 1933 film was very much a film of its time, all its well deserved praise due, and the 2005 film did a very noteworthy and praise worthy job; but it was held back by several problems. First is the excess (not just 1 T.rex, but THREE; not just a New York rampage, but an all out military attack; not just natives but essentially orcs), but also the fact it's a film stooped on old cliches and roles; some of which haven't aged well, even though it tries to avoid the shortcomings of the 1930s film-making.

Come Kong: Skull Island however, I find the characters in the 'roles' much more endearing. Weaver manages to be capable and is friendly to Kong without turning into an object of lust or shrieking dame. Conrad pulls off showing he's very qualified and level headed, has some nice character beats such as his father's lighter, and managed to have a clear friendship with the female lead that doesn't automatically veer into a tacked-on romance. An antagonist with some real dimension to them with Packard and company. And that's not getting into Marlow's solid deliveries. As an Anthropologist, the 'savage natives' trope is more than a smidge uncomfortable to look at for me; so the Iwi were a fantastic change of pace from the typical Skull Islanders. And there's all these perks without even lamenting the beautiful cinematography and Kong himself.

The original 1933 film and its remakes have plenty of commendable marks, and I do very much enjoy the Godzilla films the Monster'verse gave us; but I think a very praiseworthy compliment the Monster'verse is giving me what I will readily consider my favorite King Kong film.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I honestly have a tough time deciding whether the 2005 Kong or the MonsterVerse films are the better Kong movies.. but i can certainly say MV Kong has the better design.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gigantis wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:30 am I honestly have a tough time deciding whether the 2005 Kong or the MonsterVerse films are the better Kong movies.. but i can certainly say MV Kong has the better design.
That’s not even an unpopular opinion. Everyone loves MV Kong’s design the most. It’s the definitive Kong design now
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

MV Kong not only has the best design, but IMO has the best characterization and most personality of all the Kongs to this point while being badass when he needs to be. I love MV Kong, especially with how much added charm he got in Godzilla vs. Kong.