Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godjacob »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:27 pm
Kiryu2012 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:58 pm I'd like future portrayals of Rodan to be roughly Godzilla's size like in the Showa era. Smol Rodan's cool and all, but I'd like a change in pace and upsize Rodan again.
This probably isn't that unpopular around these parts. Either way, agreed.
Yeah was gonna say here in TK if Rodan isn't exactly on par with Godzilla power and size wise than it is a subpar Rodan.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

whether I was trying to fight or not doesnt matter. if I hate minlla I hate him. its an opinion

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla4Life wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:19 am whether I was trying to fight or not doesnt matter. if I hate minlla I hate him. its an opinion
Please stop. The conversation is over. Can we move on please?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Lets drop the Minilla chat for now? Go back to bashing my boy Rodan.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Heisei Rodan had some execution issues but admittedly gave Godzilla and Mechagodzilla good fights before he went down. If we can get Rodan back to that level, I'll be more or less content. Realistically, he'll never be Godzilla's equal again. Not while the current Toho regime is in charge, anyway. But we can do better than the lackey he was in KOTM or whatever SP was thinking. KOTM got a lot right about Rodan, but he was too far beneath Godzilla and Ghidorah for my liking. Even if he can't match them, he should be able to hold his own for more than a few seconds. And then SP... I like experimentation, and will tolerate a lot in the name of keeping things fresh, but let's maybe not go that particular route again.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

See, I dont really think Rodan's execution in 1993 was all that great. Sure he was quicker than Godzilla, but he couldn't really handle a physical fight and was pretty weak against the atomic ray. I was also really bothered by shit like Rodan gently flying over cities as sparks and explosion go off.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon May 23, 2022 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 am Heisei Rodan had some execution issues but admittedly gave Godzilla and Mechagodzilla good fights before he went down. If we can get Rodan back to that level, I'll be more or less content. Realistically, he'll never be Godzilla's equal again. Not while the current Toho regime is in charge, anyway. But we can do better than the lackey he was in KOTM or whatever SP was thinking. KOTM got a lot right about Rodan, but he was too far beneath Godzilla and Ghidorah for my liking. Even if he can't match them, he should be able to hold his own for more than a few seconds. And then SP... I like experimentation, and will tolerate a lot in the name of keeping things fresh, but let's maybe not go that particular route again.
In fairness to KOTM, Godzilla himself was below Ghidorah by a fair margin. He needed a nuclear boost in order to fight on a level playing field with Ghidorah still would've killed him twice had it not been for Mothra and then the Orca. Ghidorah was just portrayed as really strong in that film. So Rodan taking Ghidorah head on in spite of this while all the other Titans bowed without a fight gives me respect for him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Heisei Rodan was cool, I just hate that it seems to be the precident now. Small baby jobber boy.
At least he gave Godzilla and Mechagodzilla a good fight in MGII. The fact that he's tiny and gets whooped in KotM and that he's tiny and gets squooshed in Godzilla the Ride, and that he's tiny and gets vaped in SP makes me nervous about Rodan's future. He doesn't have to be a smol bean!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think Heisei Rodan is cool in certain contexts.

The actual film itself? No. Too small, and much too stiff and lifeless in execution. The legs are too small, and the eyes just look kinda derpy.

The Pipeworks games, where the design is not held back by the limitations of a stiff prop and poor wirework, it has functional legs, and it's the same size as the other monsters? Perfection right there.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

godjacob wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 am
JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 am Heisei Rodan had some execution issues but admittedly gave Godzilla and Mechagodzilla good fights before he went down. If we can get Rodan back to that level, I'll be more or less content. Realistically, he'll never be Godzilla's equal again. Not while the current Toho regime is in charge, anyway. But we can do better than the lackey he was in KOTM or whatever SP was thinking. KOTM got a lot right about Rodan, but he was too far beneath Godzilla and Ghidorah for my liking. Even if he can't match them, he should be able to hold his own for more than a few seconds. And then SP... I like experimentation, and will tolerate a lot in the name of keeping things fresh, but let's maybe not go that particular route again.
In fairness to KOTM, Godzilla himself was below Ghidorah by a fair margin. He needed a nuclear boost in order to fight on a level playing field with Ghidorah still would've killed him twice had it not been for Mothra and then the Orca. Ghidorah was just portrayed as really strong in that film. So Rodan taking Ghidorah head on in spite of this while all the other Titans bowed without a fight gives me respect for him.
No Supercharged Godzilla was slightly stronger than Ghidorah until Ghidorah supercharged himself. Supercharged Ghidorah is the one that almost killed Godzilla twice.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm
No Supercharged Godzilla was slightly stronger than Ghidorah until Ghidorah supercharged himself. Supercharged Ghidorah is the one that almost killed Godzilla twice.
Doesn't change the fact Godzilla needed a nuclear bomb boost to get that slight edge on base Ghidorah which is a lot more drastic than chewing on a power generator (And Ghidorah was able to tank his atomic blast still standing and drive Supercharged Godzilla to the ground during that fight so it wasn't even a significant edge in power).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

godjacob wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:36 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Doesn't change the fact Godzilla needed a nuclear bomb boost to get that slight edge on base Ghidorah which is a lot more drastic than chewing on a power generator (And Ghidorah was able to tank his atomic blast still standing and drive Supercharged Godzilla to the ground during that fight so it wasn't even a significant edge in power).
The nuke brought him from near zero to somewhere over 100. Godzilla and Ghidorah were about equals when they fight the first time.

In Boston before Ghidorah supercharges Godzilla has a slight edge and probaly would have won before Ghidorah powers up.

And Ghidorah never tanked the atomic breath. The atomic breath sent him miles down the road.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KOTM's overall power levels aren't really the subject of the thread. Regardless of the hows and whys, Rodan was clearly not in the same weight class as the big guns. Had he joined Godzilla instead of Ghidorah, it would have been as a subordinate, not an equal. Though that's just a necessary result of the Alpha system. In a hypothetical future movie without that system, I'd like to see Rodan able to honestly stand up as an equal again.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:19 pm KOTM's overall power levels aren't really the subject of the thread. Regardless of the hows and whys, Rodan was clearly not in the same weight class as the big guns. Had he joined Godzilla instead of Ghidorah, it would have been as a subordinate, not an equal. Though that's just a necessary result of the Alpha system. In a hypothetical future movie without that system, I'd like to see Rodan able to honestly stand up as an equal again.
The thread is unpopular opinions and Kotm and its scaling were clearly unpopular around here considering how it was debated.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:40 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:19 pm KOTM's overall power levels aren't really the subject of the thread. Regardless of the hows and whys, Rodan was clearly not in the same weight class as the big guns. Had he joined Godzilla instead of Ghidorah, it would have been as a subordinate, not an equal. Though that's just a necessary result of the Alpha system. In a hypothetical future movie without that system, I'd like to see Rodan able to honestly stand up as an equal again.
The thread is unpopular opinions and Kotm and its scaling were clearly unpopular around here considering how it was debated.
I think the only unpopular thing is Rodan's status in it. People here want Rodan to be Godzilla's equal and accept literally nothing else.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I think for a lot of people, myself included, it's less being unwilling to accept anything else and more that we haven't gotten what we want since 1965.

Godzilla's become more powerful, Mechagodzilla has stayed powerful, Mothra and Ghidorah have been completely broken at their high points... and Rodan has comparatively just been this little bird on the side getting swatted. When he's around at all.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Mon May 23, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:57 pm I think for a lot of people, myself included, it's less being unwilling to accept anything else and more that we haven't gotten what we want since 1965.

Godzilla's become more powerful, Mechagodzilla has stayed powerful, Mothra and Ghidorah have been completely broken at their high points... and Rodan has comparatively just been this little bird on the side getting swatted. When he's around at all.
One. Mothra had one point it was broken, the ROM trilogy. And that wasn't even Mothra, but her son.

Otherwise Mothra has stayed at the "helpful ally to humanity and at times Godzilla but clearly weaker than the big guys"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

One point for three movies, yes. That's almost half of her/his/its (a Mothra is a Mothra) post-Showa film appearances. And Rodan hasn't had even one point where he was close to that, so.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:08 am One point for three movies, yes. That's almost half of her/his/its (a Mothra is a Mothra) post-Showa film appearances. And Rodan hasn't had even one point where he was close to that, so.
Heisei Rodan literally has that exact role. I would even say it ranks higher than Battra or Heisei Mothra individual on a tier list given it gave Godzilla a pretty decent fight before it became Fire Rodan. Where as Battra (Who beat Mothra) got its final form shit stomped by Godzilla. Mothra Leo is also not just "A Mothra is a Mothra" this isn't the MV reincarnation Mothra. FW Rodan is harder to scale to FW Mothra given it only fights the OP as hell FW Godzilla but given Godzilla killed Gigan in actual seconds and Mothra scaled even to Gigan I'd put them as comparable.

Singular Point Mothra was a bunch of tiny butterflies where as Rodan least got a highlight episode and then turned to a big Shadow Rodan.
Last edited by godjacob on Tue May 24, 2022 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Heisei Rodan was doing just fine until Godzilla grounded him. I'd say Heisei Rodan wasn't far from 65 Rodan strength and skill wise.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.