Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Fish Cakes »

Living Corpse wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Seems to be a general rule that monsters are never female unless specifically stated.
True, but not being female doesn't make them male either. Like Destroyer and Hedorah and yes Spacegodzilla? I feel those things don't really have a sex.
Doesn't kaiju being genderless go against the "kaiju are characters" and "human emotion" thing you and others push?

I'm not saying "Should Anguirus be the first non-binary kaiju?" here or "What genitalia does Rodan have?" I'm asking "What do we see them as and why?" For example: SpaceGodzilla and Destroyah I view as feminine monsters, so to me they are of the female gender and I refer to them as she/her.

It's frustrating this became a page(+?) long thing. (We all know gender is different from sex here, right?)
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Like I said Destroyah and Hedorah are genderless by their very nature.
For some reason I don't feel like Spacegodzilla has a gender. Nothing in the film says so, I just get the impression "he" is such a freakish mutated take on Godzilla that "he" evolved without any reproductive systems.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

SpaceGodzilla has a vagina on their upper stomach.

Also, pretty positive Living Corpse has me on ignore now. Bummer, he seemed cool. :c
Last edited by Fish Cakes on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Living Corpse wrote:True, but not being female doesn't make them male either. Like Destroyer and Hedorah and yes Spacegodzilla? I feel those things don't really have a sex.
I've always seen Destoroyah as female, I think it had something to do with the pattern on the belly being similar to female crabs, but I know what you mean.

Still, I do enjoy whenever the movies or books go out of their way to specify if a monster's a certain gender, like how recently the "Godzilla Defense Force" game identified 1971 Hedorah as female and the 2004 Hedorah as male (the long red thing on his left hand is his genitalia - you will not unsee it!)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I don't because it's not at all what the original creators intended.

How would you guys feel if Marvel suddenly announced Spider-Man had a dick and a vagina the entire time as a result of his spider bite?
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:True, but not being female doesn't make them male either. Like Destroyer and Hedorah and yes Spacegodzilla? I feel those things don't really have a sex.
I've always seen Destoroyah as female, I think it had something to do with the pattern on the belly being similar to female crabs, but I know what you mean.

Still, I do enjoy whenever the movies or books go out of their way to specify if a monster's a certain gender, like how recently the "Godzilla Defense Force" game identified 1971 Hedorah as female and the 2004 Hedorah as male (the long red thing on his left hand is his genitalia - you will not unsee it!)
Come again?

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

That new Godzilla mobile game has a bio that states Hedorah Final Wars was male because he had a dangly red thing drooping off his arm
Last edited by Orichalcum on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

As a walking pile of sludge, I don't see Hedorah having a specific gender. If it did, I would see it more as a hermaphrodite, being able to reproduce on its own.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

edgaguirus wrote:As a walking pile of sludge, I don't see Hedorah having a specific gender. If it did, I would see it more as a hermaphrodite, being able to reproduce on its own.
I'm not one who generally cares about gendering kaiju but, in case you couldn't tell from my username, I've always thought of Hedorah as female. Those eyes are vaginal in shape and I was among the many who used to think those were eggs that Godzilla pulled out of Hedorah's body. Truthfully, Hedorah is probably an asexually-reproducing, genderless creature, but I tend to refer to Hedorah as a 'her'.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Much like Captain Gordon, I really love the Xillien Leader/X in Godzilla Final Wars.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Much like Captain Gordon, I really love the Xillien Leader/X in Godzilla Final Wars.
You know........I like the guy too. I mean he's over the top and considering the movie he's in, it fit the character perfectly.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIGOOOOOOOOOOON
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Much like Captain Gordon, I really love the Xillien Leader/X in Godzilla Final Wars.
Much as I hate Captain Gordon, I also kinda love the Xillien Leader.

One is bad acting, the other is well-executed camp.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:As a walking pile of sludge, I don't see Hedorah having a specific gender. If it did, I would see it more as a hermaphrodite, being able to reproduce on its own.
I'm not one who generally cares about gendering kaiju but, in case you couldn't tell from my username, I've always thought of Hedorah as female. Those eyes are vaginal in shape and I was among the many who used to think those were eggs that Godzilla pulled out of Hedorah's body. Truthfully, Hedorah is probably an asexually-reproducing, genderless creature, but I tend to refer to Hedorah as a 'her'.
I wanna die now.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I wanna die now.
Why? He speaks merely of canon design origins.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Fish Cakes wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I wanna die now.
Why? He speaks merely of canon design origins.
I was joking.

That being said, did they actually base Hedorah's eyes off of a vagina?
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^Yes. Yoshimitsu Banno says exactly that in an interview in Tokyoscope: The Japanese Cult Film Companion.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I was joking.

Yes. And the GFW Hedorah was inspired by male genitalia!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Speaking of Hedorah, I'd really like to see it in the Monsterverse or Reiwa movie with a radically different design. Something like this while keeping the red eyes and dark grey color scheme maybe.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

GigaBowserG wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I was joking.

Yes. And the GFW Hedorah was inspired by male genitalia!
Huh. So that mobile game wasn't just spewing bullshit. Speaking of vaginas, am I the only one that sees them in the Geonosian Arena from Attack of the Clones?