Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:35 am Ok ya I agree that minlla was a good aspect of making the showa godzilla trilogy more "kid friendly" But if you look from a monster action view Id say hes pretty disappointing
.....I guess....

His presence adds to the drama of Son of Godzilla. The climax of that films works 100% because the audience does feel sorry for Minya and doesn't want to see anything happen to him. Kumonga comes across as the bastard he is because he's going after such a weak creature.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 am
Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:35 am Ok ya I agree that minlla was a good aspect of making the showa godzilla trilogy more "kid friendly" But if you look from a monster action view Id say hes pretty disappointing
.....I guess....

His presence adds to the drama of Son of Godzilla. The climax of that films works 100% because the audience does feel sorry for Minya and doesn't want to see anything happen to him. Kumonga comes across as the bastard he is because he's going after such a weak creature.
Also, I may get argued on this but I feel like if Kumonga had killed Minlla. Nobody in the audience would have given a living shit
just sayin

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 am
.....I guess....

Also, I may get argued on this but I feel like if Kumonga had killed Minlla. Nobody in the audience would have given a living poop
just sayin
Has this fandom gotten THAT deep into Minilla hate people are now saying he could be KILLED on screen (the literal baby character) and no one would care.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Depends on what you want from your monster action. I like standard 'cool' action (if there is such a thing, but you probably know what I mean and I'm too tired to phrase it more intelligently) as much as anyone, but some goofier, more lighthearted stuff can also be fun sometimes. Minya bravely standing up to the punk Kamacuras, for example, wasn't much of a fight since both monsters were so incompetent, but the great suit acting and puppetry made it funny and entertaining in its own way. There's more than one way to play a kaiju battle.

I feel like some more sensitive, kind-hearted audience members might have given a shit if Minya died on-screen, but let's be real, here: most people, especially kids, would've given that scene a standing ovation, and the movie would be a hundred times more popular for it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 am
.....I guess....

Also, I may get argued on this but I feel like if Kumonga had killed Minlla. Nobody in the audience would have given a living shit
just sayin
How old are you? Seriously.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue May 17, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Yo, watching Minilla buss the atomic beam out with his dad is one of the best, most wholesome moments in the franchise. Come on now.
Idk if it's unpopular anymore, but overall I think SoG is one of the most fun films in the franchise, even though that Godzilla design is peak butterface.
Also, Jun Fukuda films tend to have some of the better ensemble characters.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Lots of kids love Minya. I did. My daughter does. As much as some fans feel threatened by Minya's very existance, he's a popular character and that's their issue to deal with. The idea that there are people who think Son of Godzilla would be a better movie if Minya died and would actually welcome it is disturbing.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

"I-is that Minya? A baby Godzilla in my kaiju movie? AAAAAAAHHHHH I'M GOING INSANE AAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:22 am I feel like some more sensitive, kind-hearted audience members might have given a shit if Minya died on-screen, but let's be real, here: most people, especially kids, would've given that scene a standing ovation, and the movie would be a hundred times more popular for it.
Your conception of what "most people" are like is inconsistent with my personal experience, and honestly more than a little distressing...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:22 am
Depends on what you want from your monster action. I like standard 'cool' action (if there is such a thing, but you probably know what I mean and I'm too tired to phrase it more intelligently) as much as anyone, but some goofier, more lighthearted stuff can also be fun sometimes. Minya bravely standing up to the punk Kamacuras, for example, wasn't much of a fight since both monsters were so incompetent, but the great suit acting and puppetry made it funny and entertaining in its own way. There's more than one way to play a kaiju battle.

I feel like some more sensitive, kind-hearted audience members might have given a shit if Minya died on-screen, but let's be real, here: most people, especially kids, would've given that scene a standing ovation, and the movie would be a hundred times more popular for it.

Today on "Wild Takes I Can't Believe I Had to Witness"...
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:43 am Lots of kids love Minya. I did. My daughter does. As much as some fans feel threatened by Minya's very existance, he's a popular character and that's their issue to deal with. The idea that there are people who think Son of Godzilla would be a better movie if Minya died and would actually welcome it is disturbing.
Half of my family didn't even start liking Godzilla until I showed then Son of Godzilla where not only does he save Minya at the last second from Kumonga, but then when he turns around to hibernate with him when he could have easily escaped.

Godzilla saving Minya is one of the greatest scenes in Godzilla history to me because you do worry for Minya especially when seeing as a kid.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The build up to the climax as Kumonga is approaching Minya while Godzilla heads over to save him - while at the same time everyone is hoping their experiment works so they can get the hell off the island - is a masterpiece of editing, musical direction and drama.

Son of Godzilla gets way more shit than it deserves from the people in this fandom who feel insecure about Godzilla movies that they feel are not serious and respectable.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:57 pm Son of Godzilla gets way more poop than it deserves from the people in this fandom who feel insecure about Godzilla movies that they feel are not serious and respectable.
It's the bane of most fandoms, but it seems to be particularly prevalent in this one.
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:57 pm The build up to the climax as Kumonga is approaching Minya while Godzilla heads over to save him - while at the same time everyone is hoping their experiment works so they can get the hell off the island - is a masterpiece of editing, musical direction and drama.

Son of Godzilla gets way more poop than it deserves from the people in this fandom who feel insecure about Godzilla movies that they feel are not serious and respectable.
I've stated it before, but just that sequence of the timer going down, with intersecting cuts of the scientists, kumonga, Godzilla, and Minya, is one of the most tense and well-executed moments in film,.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Minilla was mainly annoying when some genius decided he needed to talk in Attack All Monsters. THAT film was more blatant child pandering than anything seen in Son of Godzilla and while I find Minilla's design in general ugly as sin not enough to hate the character overall.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

All I know is 6-year-old me would have been devastated if Minilla died in SOG.

And as mentioned a few posts up, the drama and tension in the third act of that movie is expertly built. One of my favorite climaxes in the franchise.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

eabaker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:10 am
JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:22 am I feel like some more sensitive, kind-hearted audience members might have given a poop if Minya died on-screen, but let's be real, here: most people, especially kids, would've given that scene a standing ovation, and the movie would be a hundred times more popular for it.
Your conception of what "most people" are like is inconsistent with my personal experience, and honestly more than a little distressing...
Okay, but remind us what your favorite part of Star Wars was as a kid. It isn't the answer the average kid would give.

I think it's easy for adult geeks to kind of forget what kids are actually like and just sneer at their immaturity. I do it every day. Today, I'm a semi-sophisticated nerd who enjoys classic and foreign film, watches shojo anime, and is interested in sports for the culture and history. When I was ten or twelve, my brothers and I spent our time chainsawing pedestrians on Vice City , watching slasher movies for the violence, and (when we were really bored*, which was often) making up stories about Barney and Thomas the Tank Engine and Sesame Street characters being brutally murdered. We sought out the crude and rude and disgusting, and would've absolutely loved something as terrible and unexpected as Minya being killed. I always wanted Godzilla to turn around and roast the kid yelling goodbye at the end of GvH. Watching my first Godzilla movie, KKvG, with my cousin, we were rooting for Godzilla to massacre the dumb monkey, and would've cheered if it had happened. The tone of the movie and what the story wanted us to think didn't even enter our minds.

* I imagine some of the kids here might not be able to identify with that type of boredom, so I'll clarify that this was a time when the internet barely existed and having unlimited entertainment on a smart phone in your pocket at all times was unfathomable.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Ten-year old me would have also cheered on Minya being killed, but that's because I had a thing against Minya at that age. I think most G-Fans go through that phase, honestly. Hating on anything in their "cool" series they love that's childish, goofy, or overly kiddie-fied. G-Fans in that phase are there for the epic, giant monsters and wide sweeping city destruction, after all!

Obviously I've grown out of that phase, as I'd assume most G-Fans have, or will otherwise eventually.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Son of Godzilla has always been one of my favorites since I saw it a while back. It's an overall easy and heartwarming watch. My favorite scene is the end where Godzilla embraces minya to protect him from the snow storm. Plus the soundtrack inherently makes me happy, it's so cute.

Coming from someone who prefers Godzilla as nuclear apocalypse incarnate, I never understood why this movie got so much hate. Can't folks lighten up once in a while?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:19 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:10 am
JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:22 am I feel like some more sensitive, kind-hearted audience members might have given a poop if Minya died on-screen, but let's be real, here: most people, especially kids, would've given that scene a standing ovation, and the movie would be a hundred times more popular for it.
Okay, but remind us what your favorite part of Star Wars was as a kid. It isn't the answer the average kid would give.

I think it's easy for adult geeks to kind of forget what kids are actually like and just sneer at their immaturity. I do it every day. Today, I'm a semi-sophisticated nerd who enjoys classic and foreign film, watches shojo anime, and is interested in sports for the culture and history. When I was ten or twelve, my brothers and I spent our time chainsawing pedestrians on Vice City , watching slasher movies for the violence, and (when we were really bored*, which was often) making up stories about Barney and Thomas the Tank Engine and Sesame Street characters being brutally murdered. We sought out the crude and rude and disgusting, and would've absolutely loved something as terrible and unexpected as Minya being killed. I always wanted Godzilla to turn around and roast the kid yelling goodbye at the end of GvH. Watching my first Godzilla movie, KKvG, with my cousin, we were rooting for Godzilla to massacre the dumb monkey, and would've cheered if it had happened. The tone of the movie and what the story wanted us to think didn't even enter our minds.

* I imagine some of the kids here might not be able to identify with that type of boredom, so I'll clarify that this was a time when the internet barely existed and having unlimited entertainment on a smart phone in your pocket at all times was unfathomable.
Favorite part of anything is going to change. If you ask a kid what their favorite part of Star Wars is it will range from what Trilogy they were kids when the films came out.

I'm sure there were a lot of kids that wanted Minya to die but I'm also sure there were even more kids that thought of Godzilla as this big strong parent that they were use to having. To me as a Kid Godzilla was a super hero and a Dad, he was on par with the Power Rangers and Spiderman. The 60's Godzilla films and ROG where he was a villain were shocks to me.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image