Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Terasawa »

I think the specific costume names are beneficial if you need to provide extra context. For example, there are three Godzilla costumes used on-screen in Godzilla vs Mothra (1992) so it could be pretty imprecise to say "the 1992 Godzilla."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Terasawa wrote:I think the specific costume names are beneficial if you need to provide extra context. For example, there are three Godzilla costumes used on-screen in Godzilla vs Mothra (1992) so it could be pretty imprecise to say "the 1992 Godzilla."
Yeah, I think the 90s is where it's most beneficial for sure, especially since the differences between Bio/Bato/Rado/Moge aren't especially noticeable at first glance. I just think some of the names are too cumbersome (GyakushuGoji, SoshingekiGoji, SokogekiGoji). I'd prefer AngiGoji for the 1955 suit, HedoGoji or GaiGoji for the 1968 suit and BaraGoji for the 2001 suit (which I usually just call GMKGoji).
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Well as long as we're posting Suit tier lists...

eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Well as long as we're posting Suit tier lists...

[Image]
Besides your placement for "Shin", I'd agree with everything else ^

Good list! I think the GxM/TokyoSOS suit is underrated.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

All the millennial era movies are bad
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:All the millennial era movies are bad
I’d say half of them are bad. Now if you said all the Heisei movies are bad, I would be tempted to agree...
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I’d say half of them are bad. Now if you said all the Heisei movies are bad, I would be tempted to agree...
Oh come now, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is a classic. And Godzilla vs. Biollante was pretty damn good and rather unique as far as Godzilla films are concerned.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

godjacob wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Oh come now, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is a classic. And Godzilla vs. Biollante was pretty damn good and rather unique as far as Godzilla films are concerned.
I said tempted to agree. I wouldn't entirely agree. I don't like the Heisei series as a whole, but I like a couple of the films (MG2, Destoroyah and, sort of, Biollante). Even so, I think they're all pretty flawed, to varying levels; Space Godzilla is definitely the worst of the bunch, but I think King Ghidorah and Mothra are also more bad than good. Regardless, I prefer Showa and Millennium. Hell, I like the first three Millennium films better than anything from the Heisei series.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
godjacob wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: I’d say half of them are bad. Now if you said all the Heisei movies are bad, I would be tempted to agree...
I said tempted to agree. I wouldn't entirely agree. I don't like the Heisei series as a whole, but I like a couple of the films (MG2, Destoroyah and, sort of, Biollante). Even so, I think they're all pretty flawed, to varying levels; Space Godzilla is definitely the worst of the bunch, but I think King Ghidorah and Mothra are also more bad than good. Regardless, I prefer Showa and Millennium. Hell, I like the first three Millennium films better than anything from the Heisei series.
I forgot Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla was Millennium. I liked the girl in that. The pilot.

And yeah. The Heisei era is a pretty mixed bag. I didn't even like Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla as a kid.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shin Godzilla is the only good thing to come out of the Reiwa era so far. It's the only film to effectively make the best use of its themes and ideas considering its budget.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Shin Godzilla is the only good thing to come out of the Reiwa era so far. It's the only film to effectively make full use of its themes and ideas, especially when you consider its budget.
I agree. Shin is a Fantastic Movie. I love the characters, the theme, and Godzilla in that movie. The song who will know. Shin has feelings to. He is just lost and scared.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I want to gag myself with a spoon over these unpopular opinions......

Good lord.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

goji89 wrote:I want to gag myself with a spoon over these unpopular opinions......
A lot of people would enjoy that! ;)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Terasawa wrote:
goji89 wrote:I want to gag myself with a spoon over these unpopular opinions......
A lot of people would enjoy that! ;)
I bet you would buttercup.

But not gonna happen in your lifetime. Got a better chance of getting your perfect precious dubs. .... :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Shin Godzilla is the only good thing to come out of the Reiwa era so far. It's the only film to effectively make the best use of its themes and ideas considering its budget.
Considering the only alternative to Shin is the widely critisized anime trilogy films, I'm not sure how unpopular that opinion would truely be. :lol:
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Shin Godzilla is the only good thing to come out of the Reiwa era so far. It's the only film to effectively make the best use of its themes and ideas considering its budget.
Considering the only alternative to Shin is the widely critisized anime trilogy films, I'm not sure how unpopular that opinion would truely be. :lol:
Yeah its more like something that belongs in the popular opinion thread if that evere existed. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Godzilla's Revenge is "The Room" of the series to me. It's so bad, it's great. Definitely a drinking game-type of film to me. The English dubbed version is unintentionally hilarious and its terrible but entertaining at the same time :)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan95 wrote:Godzilla's Revenge is "The Room" of the series to me. It's so bad, it's great. Definitely a drinking game-type of film to me. The English dubbed version is unintentionally hilarious and its terrible but entertaining at the same time :)
I'd give that title to Godzilla Final Wars without hesitation. Heck, I've gotten drunk off my ass at 8:00 in the morning watching that movie with friends and shouting at the screen.

Godzilla's Revenge has its flaws, but it has enough heart and clarity of thematic and narrative purpose - and just enough baseline storytelling and filmmaking competence - to elevate it well above that level.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Revenge is akward but a well meaning and decent kids film. It's not even close to being the worst in the series.

I feel like it along with most of the 60s and 70s era just gets utterly dumped on because they're kid oriented and campy so fans hate them to seem more serious, while on the other hand, praising "serious" but tedious films because they don't have a baby Godzilla that talks.

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rodan95 wrote:Godzilla's Revenge is "The Room" of the series to me. It's so bad, it's great. Definitely a drinking game-type of film to me. The English dubbed version is unintentionally hilarious and its terrible but entertaining at the same time :)
The Japanese version is even worse. That opening song...