Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
gfan84
Samurai

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by gfan84 »

My biggest unpopular opinion is I don’t think the heisei gamera trilogy is as amazing as many think it is. Dont get me wrong here, they are not horrible but I think they are way to overhyped. I think shinobu Nakayama s performance in gamera 1 is very bland and the other characters were bland as well. My other unpopular opinions are I think Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is overrated, Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1993 and Godzilla vs spacegodzilla are underrated, I prefer to watch the Japanese version of Godzilla 2000 over the American version and I think gmk is overrated but still pretty enjoyable

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Godzilla Raids Again is not that bad.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse and Godzilla: Project Mechagodzilla, if they were animated, while they would have been better than the anime series we got I don't think would have been objectively "great" either. There would be even blander humans in the few moments they bother to show up on the scene, the nihilistic tone would be dialed up to 11 adding a level of pointlessness to it all, and many Kaiju would have gotten short ends of the stick (Angurius, Varan & Baragon getting all one shot killed by Godzilla, Mechagodzilla literally doing nothing despite build up & hype in-universe) taking complaints of Final Wars and upping it all the more.
Last edited by godjacob on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

I really hope the fandom here thinks I am pompous or curt or brash, but I think the Godzilla sequels has mostly goood characters, espically in the heisei films. I don’t watch the original movie a whole lot simply for the fact it is really depressing and hard for me to watch and I don’t like how it overshadows a lot of the sequels. Adding to the last part, I think a lot of the sequels have a lot to offer in spite of some flaws.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

gfan84 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:48 pm I really hope the fandom here thinks I am pompous or curt or brash, but I think the Godzilla sequels has mostly goood characters, espically in the heisei films. I don’t watch the original movie a whole lot simply for the fact it is really depressing and hard for me to watch and I don’t like how it overshadows a lot of the sequels. Adding to the last part, I think a lot of the sequels have a lot to offer in spite of some flaws.
You're among friends here, don't worry. The original film is considered the best critically by most of our members, but to my knowledge everyone here is a big fan of at least some of the sequels, and a lot of us wouldn't call the original our personal favorite. Myself included; I gravitate toward the more fun, lighthearted entries, and Gojira is somewhere around the middle of my list if I was ranking by personal enjoyment. I can derive some level of enjoyment out of every single film in the series, though, so there's nothing on that list I outright dislike.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:24 pm
gfan84 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:48 pm I really hope the fandom here thinks I am pompous or curt or brash, but I think the Godzilla sequels has mostly goood characters, espically in the heisei films. I don’t watch the original movie a whole lot simply for the fact it is really depressing and hard for me to watch and I don’t like how it overshadows a lot of the sequels. Adding to the last part, I think a lot of the sequels have a lot to offer in spite of some flaws.
You're among friends here, don't worry. The original film is considered the best critically by most of our members, but to my knowledge everyone here is a big fan of at least some of the sequels, and a lot of us wouldn't call the original our personal favorite. Myself included; I gravitate toward the more fun, lighthearted entries, and Gojira is somewhere around the middle of my list if I was ranking by personal enjoyment. I can derive some level of enjoyment out of every single film in the series, though, so there's nothing on that list I outright dislike.
And even those of us that would place Gojira at number one (it's not just my favorite Godzilla movie, it's my favorite movie of all time), we still love most of the the sequels.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I tend to enjoy the majority of Godzilla films, regardless of "objective" quality they may or may not have. And I think that goes for the majority here as there are elements to like more often than not in the sequels.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The sequels are loved and favored. There are many that I watch frequently, and can quote from.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I find Space Godzilla to be one of the more enjoyable films in the later half of the Heisei series.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:29 pm I find Space Godzilla to be one of the more enjoyable films in the later half of the Heisei series.
"One of the more enjoyable" out of a category that includes, what, three-to-four movies? ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

spinzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by spinzilla »

SpaceGodzilla represents all the sins and warts of the heisei series wrapped into one ugly package. The movie is a pretty divisive so that's not really an unpopular opinion.

But I find SpaceGodzilla, the kaiju itself to be one of the worst of the entire series. He has a borrowed lackluster design and even poorer execution. The suit was very obviously copy and pasted from Super Godzilla, who was already overly designed, but with some even uglier features. The suit is so immobile that the actual fight choreography make him such a stiff and boring villain to watch.
He has told you, O man, what is good;
and fwhat does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,2
and to gwalk humbly with your God?

Micah 6:8
“I will take care of me for you, if you will take care of you for me. ”
― Jim Rohn

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I think the OST in Kong: Skull Island kinda sucks.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Mothra's Heisei Design isn't that bad. The cute and almost fluffy appearance is a decent way to display her purity and it works especially well as a contrast to the darker design Battra has.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:25 pm Mothra's Heisei Design isn't that bad. The cute and almost fluffy appearance is a decent way to display her purity and it works especially well as a contrast to the darker design Battra has.
I agree to some extent here. I just wish she (and Battra) weren’t so stiff.
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

What can I say I haven’t already said in this thread. Uhhh... FW Ebirah is my favourite Ebirah design? ‘63 Manda is my favourite Manda design?
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

gfan84 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:17 pm My biggest unpopular opinion is I don’t think the heisei gamera trilogy is as amazing as many think it is. Dont get me wrong here, they are not horrible but I think they are way to overhyped.
You're overhyped. But not wrong. Only two Good Gamera films in the trilogy. G3 sucks and I believe is the most over hyped Gamera movie.
gfan84 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:17 pm I think Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is overrated, Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1993 and Godzilla vs spacegodzilla are underrated,
GvKG is a masterpiece along with GvMGII and GvSG should have more respect but not that much because it sucked.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:27 am ‘63 Manda is my favourite Manda design?
I don't think that's unpopular. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I slightly prefer Millennium Manda's for it's spikey appearance.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Millennium Manda I feel is better in general. In fact I think some FW Kaiju are preferred versions to me (Kamacuras being the other key example).

Tyrant_Liz
Ronin

Post by Tyrant_Liz »

OK here we go.

The Heisei and Showa eras are roughly equivalent in terms of quality. Both started out strong, lost their way towards the middle and into the latter half, and both picked it up for their respective conclusions. The Millenium era on the other hand....

Godzilla doesn't have to be tied to a nuclear origin to still be Godzilla. As long as his origin and/or reason for being tied to the general arrogance/ignorance of mankind, his origin and/or reason for being could be just about anything. The lens of Godzilla is (or at least should be) quite malleable, allowing for any number of topical issues to be explored.

Shin Godzilla, while a good film overall, is an absolute slog to get through after the "Who Will Know" scene. At least until it picks up in the final act.

KOTM is an absolute blast, and contains some of the best kaiju characterizations of any film.

Final Wars is also a lot of fun. Memorable characters , epic battles, and some genuinely hilarious moments to boot.

Godzilla 98 is a fun popcorn flick. Not a "good movie" by any stretch, but a lot of fun regardless.

I guess I just have a thing for films most people consider to be schlock xD Anyways, that's all I've got for now.
Last edited by Tyrant_Liz on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.