Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Godzillian »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Mothra doesn't eat people. I believe it mentions something about the kids being cocooned. I'd have to double check that though.
In the film they a dragged beneath the surface and she is shown rushing the beach to attack them. Later the news says teens were found drowned and inside cocoon like structures in the lake

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

To clarify I didn’t mean eat literally as in physically eat them, I just meant drag them down.

Me saying Mothra was out of characteristic, isn’t a real complaint about the film; it’s a superficial difference because Mothra, Baragon, Ghidorah, AND Godzilla all have different characterizations from previous films. Mothra is just the most jarring, and is the most apparent that it was intended to be another monster.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I think out of all the kaiju Varan should've stayed and taken Mothra's place in the final line up.

Also I got an unpopular opinon. I think the unused Anguirus design from GVA is the best look Anguirus ever had, shame it will never be seen on screen

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzillian wrote:Also I got an unpopular opinon. I think the unused Anguirus design from GVA is the best look Anguirus ever had, shame it will never be seen on screen
As much as I like the two Showa designs, I think you’re right. Varan looked good too but not too drastically different from what we’d seen before.
Dr. Professor wrote:
Terasawa wrote:the SFX sequences really hold up today and are more dynamic than anything in G2K.
You're definitely right on the money there, the effects are really great. I'm still impressed by how expressive Godzilla's face was in GMK. I wish it had been that way in the other Millennium films as well.
It likely had something to do with this crew being pretty different from the one that did the rest of the Millennium movies. For one, it’s the only entry that didn’t use Shinichi Wakasa’s company to build the monster costumes (thank god for that).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Anguilas design had some interesting features. The spiked carapace looks much more convincing as a defensive and offensive tool.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I don't like that people call Godzilla 98 Gino or Zilla.

Despite Toho officially renaming the monster, I still see him as just another version of Godzilla. Equally as valid as any other incarnation or reinvention.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I don't like that people call Godzilla 98 Gino or Zilla.

Despite Toho officially renaming the monster, I still see him as just another version of Godzilla. Equally as valid as any other incarnation or reinvention.
I agree. Even if I don`t like the film, it`s still Godzilla. Trying to take the name away is childish. GINO is the dumbest shit ever.

For all it`s faults, I do appreciate how 98 has a consistent anti-nuke message. It was also relevant with french nuclear testing. While Godzilla in that film is weak, and the film is bad overall, I think 98`s origin is a fantastic way to "update" the character.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I don't like that people call Godzilla 98 Gino or Zilla.

I agree. Even if I don`t like the film, it`s still Godzilla. Trying to take the name away is childish. GINO is the dumbest poop ever.

For all it`s faults, I do appreciate how 98 has a consistent anti-nuke message. It was also relevant with french nuclear testing. While Godzilla in that film is weak, and the film is bad overall, I think 98`s origin is a fantastic way to "update" the character.
Yeah, i really liked his origins too.

Maybe it's just me growing up in the 90's, but that film holds sentimental value to me. Back then, I really loved that America had its own distinctively American Godzilla that was different from the Japanese monster. Also, Matthew Broadrick brought along an every man and a certain likability that I have yet to see in the Monsterverse. The whole film is chock full of memorable and charismatic characters. A french spy, a clumsy camera man. Even Audrey to a certain degree is kind of wholesome.

I really like the cast and that take on Godzilla. Just as I enjoy the Keanu Reeves version of Constantine, even though it's completely different from Hellblazer.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

I agree. Even if I don`t like the film, it`s still Godzilla. Trying to take the name away is childish. GINO is the dumbest shit ever.

I definitely agree about calling it GINO, however, I'd argue that the nuke thing in that film was less of a message and more of a setup. But I can see where you're coming from.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen G98 but I don't recall it having any sort of anti-nuclear message at all. The closest thing might be the French agents trying to get information on the creature, but that never struck me as them feeling guilty for their country's actions or whatever.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

"consistent"

I'm sorry, but what? :lol:

It absolutely was not. The notion of the monster being radioactive in any capacity was completely forgotten about after Panama. It's no more anti-nuke than The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (I would like to take this time to prohibit this comment from being used in any future "DAE G'98 has more in common with Beast" argument. Violators will be smacked). The Giant Behemoth is more consistently anti-nuke, and that movie solved its monster problem with more radioactivity!
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay, my bad, sloppy writing on my end. I meant that it at least kept that part of the origin, and didn’t glorify it in any way. Even if it’s quickly dropped, it’s still consistent

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

NSZ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

I agree. Even if I don`t like the film, it`s still Godzilla. Trying to take the name away is childish. GINO is the dumbest poop ever.

"consistent"

It absolutely was not. The notion of the monster being radioactive in any capacity was completely forgotten about after Panama. It's no more anti-nuke than The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (I would like to take this time to prohibit this comment from being used in any future "DAE G'98 has more in common with Beast" argument. Violators will be smacked). The Giant Behemoth is more consistently anti-nuke, and that movie solved its monster problem with more radioactivity!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

goji89 wrote:
NSZ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: I agree. Even if I don`t like the film, it`s still Godzilla. Trying to take the name away is childish. GINO is the dumbest poop ever.

"consistent"

Thing is, mishandled message and "glorification of nukes" or no, the people of Toho themselves have stated that they're happy with the westernized blockbusters and love the new Hollywood Godzilla and are honored that we made our own version of the monster, whereas they hated G98 so much that they didn't even allow it to keep the name Godzilla and changed it to Zilla, even having the real Godzilla curbstomp it in Final Wars.

If you think you know better than Toho themselves on how faithful or respectful this incarnation of Godzilla is, I won't really judge because that's your opinion, but just don't spout any bull like KOTM "is an insult to the franchise" or "it's impossible to love both Shin and KOTM in good faith". I myself don't think the message was glorifying nukes, it was more about glorifying the character Godzilla himself (who in this incarnation is not a monster born from the sins of man, but a guardian of nature and a god who Serizawa sacrificed himself to) and honoring the franchise's nuclear roots. It's sort of a tribute and homage to the franchise's birth itself, not the tragic events that lead to the franchise's birth. Sure it's handled badly, but I don't see any sort of insulting or offensive imagery here.

LSD, I remember when you made a topic on "KOTM and Shin, let's appreciate everything", assured us that everyone on TK would love this movie (just a white lie to cheer us up, but still), said that you were happy with the movie and appreciated what Mr. Doughery did, and said that you had a feeling that while people would admit it's not exactly a well-made masterpiece, they would remember it fondly.

Heck, you even said this:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: I certainly don’t think this harms the series in any capacity.
Back here in the member review thread: https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1657230

And yet now you just despise this movie as a stain on the good name of the franchise or something and say that it's one of the worst Godzillas ever, worse than G98 even. What changed?
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

GuardianGhido wrote: What changed?
Maybe because in his mind......

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Jesus, KoTM wasn't even directly brought up. Obsessed.

Are people really so sensitive and eager to shield that movie from even indirect criticism that they take "I liked how '98 kept the nuclear origin of the character" as "I HATE GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2018, dir. Michael Dougherty) BECAUSE I'M A SNOBBY WEEB"? I guess my unpopular opinion is that I don't feel personally insulted when Godzilla movies I like are criticized.
Last edited by Smuggers on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote:Jesus, KoTM wasn't even directly brought up. Obsessed.

Are people really so sensitive and eager to shield that movie from even indirect criticism that they take "I liked how '98 kept the nuclear origin of the character" as "I HATE GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2018, dir. Michael Dougherty) BECAUSE I'M A SNOBBY WEEB"? I guess my unpopular opinion is that I don't feel personally insulted when Godzilla movies I like are criticized.
Oh calm down.......stop white knighting every shiit that doesn't have anything to do with you.

It feels like you get personally insulted when someone is criticized over their opinion that has nothing to do with you. It happens, let it go.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Yeah sorry, just needed a place or quote to point out LSD's 180 change of stance on KOTM and kinda picked the wrong thread. Carry on, folks.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

goji89 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:Jesus, KoTM wasn't even directly brought up. Obsessed.

Oh calm down.......stop white knighting every shiit that doesn't have anything to do with you.

It feels like you get personally insulted when someone is criticized over their opinion that has nothing to do with you. It happens, let it go.
Eh, I don't know, he kinda has a point. GuardianGhido decided to make a snide remark towards me just an hour ago claiming I had no intentions on actually watching Godzilla vs. Kong when it comes out for literally no reason at all, then compared me to BaragonBreh...

There's definitely something going on.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

goji89 wrote:Oh calm down.......stop white knighting every shiit that doesn't have anything to do with you.

But I'm not white knighting. It's a forum, you're supposed to participate (you know, beyond just posting reaction gifs... if you're just here to play the class clown and swim in the ballpit then be my guest, but don't get your panties in a twist if someone isn't). I'm not insulted, just pointing out this odd behaviour that you almost summed up yourself bar a few words (getting pissy about opinions that "have nothing to do with you"). A guy posts an unpopular Godzilla opinion in a unpopular Godzilla opinions thread and someone immediately goes off like a greyhound at the racetracks. Though admittedly it is someone who seems to regard '98 as some kind of triggerword.

Also, you can disable the word filter if you want to say shit.
Last edited by Smuggers on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.