Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, would you say that, for example, Allied soldiers that died in WWII lost that war? We say that the Allies won, not that the survivors won. It was a team effort, and the casualties played their part.

Or even in sports, the players that sit on the sidelines all game still get the shared credit when their team wins.

And Mothra has a one-up over those examples because again, she is functionally immortal. She's going to be reborn. And in cases like GMK or KOTM, she's still actively present and helping even if her physical body is destroyed.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat May 07, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:21 pm Well, would you say that, for example, Allied soldiers that died in WWII lost that war? We say that the Allies won, not that the survivors won. It was a team effort, and the casualties played their part.

Or even in sports, the players that sit on the sidelines all game still get the shared credit when their team wins.

And Mothra has a one-up over those examples because again, she is functionally immortal. She's going to be reborn. And in cases like GMK or KOTM, she's still actively present and helping even if her physical body is destroyed.
There's a difference between individual soldiers in an army vs. army thing, and a Kaiju battle. Mothra's side may win but that doesn't mean she comes out looking a winner, there's a reason KWC only lists the Kaiju still alive on the winning side even if their allies pick up the win.

Gotta pull your own weight is all I'm saying when it comes to Kaiju win records.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:35 pm
Sounds like man's got a hate boner for the poor clothes-eater.
At this point, it's no different than having a hate-boner for Superman.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:45 pm
At this point, it's no different than having a hate-boner for Superman.
A bit odd to say, but I guess you’re right.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Except for the ROM trilogy, Mothra is not a powerhouse. Mothra is fast, smart, and not usually armed with range weapons. Against strong opponents, Mothra may not survive, but the big bug will always fight hard. In M vs G, Mothra had Godzilla on the ropes until hit by the atomic ray. GKoTM Mothra was hurt, but still charged at KG to help Godzilla. Mothra may die for the cause, but Mothra is still to be respected as a valiant kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:17 pm Except for the ROM trilogy, Mothra is not a powerhouse. Mothra is fast, smart, and not usually armed with range weapons. Against strong opponents, Mothra may not survive, but the big bug will always fight hard. In M vs G, Mothra had Godzilla on the ropes until hit by the atomic ray. GKoTM Mothra was hurt, but still charged at KG to help Godzilla. Mothra may die for the cause, but Mothra is still to be respected as a valiant kaiju.
Correction, Mothra Leo is the powerhouse. Mothra herself has the same role she typically does: Valiantly fight to defend the Earth/her child and die tragically.

But yeah I love Mothra just I wouldn't see her as a victorious Kaiju, but the most consistently one on the side of good and humanity and an endearing personality through the ages.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra won directly in all her films expect kotm and Final Wars.

Her and her kids are all still Mothra.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mothra, probably maybe even more than Ghidorah, is the single most handedly the most murdered monster in the series:

Adult-(Killed by Godzilla)1964
Larva (offscreen, after the battle, 1964ish)
Adult-(Killed by Desghidorah/Old Age)1996
Adult-(Killed by Godzilla) 2001
Adult-(Killed by Godzilla, protecting larva) 2003
Adult(Double suicide with Gigan) 2004
Adult-Killed by Ghidorah 2019

Mothra routinely is killed in manga and comics.

Usually in any fight the larva appear in, they usually get the shit kicked out of them. There isn’t a moment where Mothra enters a fight and completely unscathed. I get people not wanting to see Mothra anymore, and thinking they’re overused, but the idea of wanting to see Mothra as a punching bag is funny because she already is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

See I think Mothra is kinda Godzilla's greatest enemy. She gave him his most iconic defeat (next to Serizawa I guess) in Mothra vs Godzilla, and gave Heisei Godzilla his most decisive defeat in Godzilla vs Mothra.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:09 pm See I think Mothra is kinda Godzilla's greatest enemy. She gave him his most iconic defeat (next to Serizawa I guess) in Mothra vs Godzilla, and gave Heisei Godzilla his most decisive defeat in Godzilla vs Mothra.
I think Godzilla's loss to Kong is the most iconic (And debated) of the Showa Era.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:31 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:09 pm See I think Mothra is kinda Godzilla's greatest enemy. She gave him his most iconic defeat (next to Serizawa I guess) in Mothra vs Godzilla, and gave Heisei Godzilla his most decisive defeat in Godzilla vs Mothra.
I think Godzilla's loss to Kong is the most iconic (And debated) of the Showa Era.
It's definitely a close race between the two. KKvG may be better known and more harshly debated just due to Kong and the ambiguity of the ending, but "it sux that Da King lost too 2 baby worms!1" is one of the stereotypical kid/noob/otherwise uncultured fan opinions.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:46 ambut "it sux that Da King lost too 2 baby worms!1" is one of the stereotypical kid/noob/otherwise uncultured fan opinions.
Jacob ain’t gonna like that one.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:27 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:46 ambut "it sux that Da King lost too 2 baby worms!1" is one of the stereotypical kid/noob/otherwise uncultured fan opinions.
Which does nothing to disprove my point. :P

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mothra is one of the few monsters in the franchise to explicitly fight on humanity’s behalf, and forgive them, consistently.

The only outliers are all heavily debatable, depending on circumstance:

Frankenstein
Daigoro
Any incarnation of a baby Godzilla
Jet Jaguar
King Shisa (Moreso towards the ryukagaku natives)
Biollante

GMK Gaurdians Monsters (explicitly don’t care about humanity, but one of the few groups of creatures that might acknowledge Humanities existence)
Kiryu 2003 (and by extension, possibly 1954)

Jet Jaguar, Godzilla SP (nuff said)

Mothra is the only consistent monster to explicitly fight on humanity’s behalf. That doesn’t mean that humanity is worth it, or that humanity is excused of their behavior, not the fact that Mothra is incapable of fighting/killing people.Just that Mothra is the closest to the “big-good” of the franchises. There’s different levels of attachment, but Mothra is the only monster to forgive humanity. I hate to be so obvious, but remember that Mothra’s original symbol, is partially a cross.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:35 am
Voyager wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:27 am
Which does nothing to disprove my point. :P
Hey just cause you people have trash taste :lol:

My own gripes of that ending aside, it is one people remember but far as iconic endings I think King Kong vs. Godzilla has it beat to the point people still argue for either side to this day. Which is more my point.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:12 am Hey just cause you people have superior taste :lol:

My own gripes of that ending aside, it is one people remember but far as iconic endings I think King Kong vs. Godzilla has it beat to the point people still argue for either side to this day. Which is more my point.
We do, yes.

And yeah, that's fair.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:16 am
godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:12 am Hey just cause you people have superior taste :lol:

We do, yes.

And yeah, that's fair.

For what it is worth, Mothra vs. Godzilla isn't even the Showa ending I am most upset with. That goes to Invasion of the Astro-Monster, where King Ghidorah wins his final fight with Godzilla and Rodan but for some reason still runs away like a total wuss. If falling into the water and not surfacing counts as a loss in the Showa films (See King Kong vs. Godzilla) Ghidorah did win that fight. Yet he still ended up looking like a sissy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Monster Zero was the third-ish Godzilla movie I ever saw, and Ghidorah's retreat at the end was one of the scenes that stuck with me the most. So this is deep, foundational stuff for me, and the assertion that Godzilla and Rodan didn't win that battle attacks one of the oldest assumptions my fanhood is built on. Every molecule of my being rebels against it.

-buuuut you do at least acknowledge that Ghidorah was in fact running away, and I have to admit that your falling into the water argument has a certain logic to it.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:49 am Monster Zero was the third-ish Godzilla movie I ever saw, and Ghidorah's retreat at the end was one of the scenes that stuck with me the most. So this is deep, foundational stuff for me, and the assertion that Godzilla and Rodan didn't win that battle attacks one of the oldest assumptions my fanhood is built on. Every molecule of my being rebels against it.

-buuuut you do at least acknowledge that Ghidorah was in fact running away, and I have to admit that your falling into the water argument has a certain logic to it.
I mean how else is one supposed to take that scene? Godzilla, Rodan & Ghidorah fall into the water, Ghidorah is the only one to surface when it flies away and we don't see Godzilla & Rodan again in that film. Hell characters even debate of Rodan and Godzilla are dead with one of the MCs going "nah they are too tough for that" after Ghidorah fled.

If you count this as an victory for Kong, you also have to be fair and give the win to Ghidorah too. Which makes it running away all the more baffling. Ending just ends up pleasing nobody lol

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:59 am If you count this as an victory for Kong, you also have to be fair and give the win to Ghidorah too. Which makes it running away all the more baffling. Ending just ends up pleasing nobody lol
Well, to be fair, Kong also swam away too. :P

But I'm sure there's no fans out there that contest the victor for that movie, surely...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.