Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by cloverfan98 »

In theory and concept art Keizer Ghidorah is cool but the execution left a lot to be desired especially when compared to Monster X's design. His transition to Keizer Ghidorah feels unnecessary. I also think the use of Keizer instead of King was to make this version of Ghidorah seem even more powerful. I believe Keizer is German for Emperor so they wanted an Emperor Ghidorah as opposed to a King Ghidorah.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I like Keizer Ghidorah but I think Death Ghidorah pulled off the four-legged look better.
I think the issue is less of the design, and the suit itself. Its a bit too bulky for my likening, but I guess that`s to emphasize how strong it is.

It is frustrating that Monster X got lumped in with it though. Monster X has a great design that would`ve fit the film just fine.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Showa Gojira wrote:Image

The REAL question is could Godzilla Earth beat this guy? ^
Is that real......? :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I admit to having a soft spot for Kaiser Ghidorah, honestly. Even with that in mind, however... it simply does not look that great. Even though I do like the idea of a less regal, albeit more twisted Ghidorah, the awkwardly proportioned and portrayed suit simply ruined what potential it had. It is especially a shame considering how neat Monster X was.

As others have said; I think Desghidorah does the quadruped Ghidorah a bit better.
Last edited by The Baranosdragon on Tue May 28, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Personally, I think Monster X works better without the transformation and kaiser ghidorah aspect.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Keizer Ghidorah is an ugly ass bitch.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

While generally viewed as one of the weaker entries in the heisei era from what I can tell, Godzilla vs Mothra is one of my favourite Godzilla movies both of that era and from the whole franchise.

This is in part due to it being the the first Godzilla movie I ever owned but also because while the moth puppets are a bit stiff, they are very well made and the special affects used in the battle look great.

Another thing I want to compliment is the cinematography of the film. After 84 and GvB the heisei era movies seem to collectively loose the cool cinematic look those first films had and loose some of their visual magic. The only one to retain some of this is GvM, as the Kaiju are all just are shot better. The only real time they don’t look as good is Godzilla when he first goes after Mothra’s egg and that’s only in some shots, as well as some of the green screen shots during Mothra and Battra’s battle.

The scene were mothra comes out of her cocoon is still one of my favourite movie scene to this day as is this films version of the mothra song.

I also very much like the caste but again that may be coloured by what was going on in my life at the time I saw the film.
Last edited by Monster X on Tue May 28, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The 1992 Godzilla vs. Mothra is usually viewed as one of the worst films in the entire franchise, but I think that's largely an overreaction because it's very derivative of other better films. It's not a great movie by any means but I think it's firmly middle of the pack. I know some will disagree but I think it's very entertaining; after that the VS series got a little tedious with the "G-Force trilogy."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:The 1992 Godzilla vs. Mothra is usually viewed as one of the worst films in the entire franchise, but I think that's largely an overreaction because it's very derivative of other better films. It's not a great movie by any means but I think it's firmly middle of the pack. I know some will disagree but I think it's very entertaining; after that the VS series got a little tedious with the "G-Force trilogy."
I put it square in the middle of the Heisei era, not as compelling as the three movies that preceded it, not as dull as the two that immediately followed it... I suppose maybe on an equal footing with Destroyah, but for such different reasons that 1:1 comparison is basically meaningless. Godzilla vs. Mothra is a start-to-finish competent, fairly predictable movie, with nothing too memorable on offer beyond Battra's larval stage looking really cool. Godzilla vs. Destroyah is an absolute mess, but with some very strong concepts and impactful moments.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

It's not bad but its one of my least favorites of the 90's. My biggest problem with it is how it really is a Mothra movie with Godzilla stuffed into it. Battra is set up to be nature's vengeance against mankind but isn't that what Godzilla is? The movie would be a lot better if it was just Mothra and Battra in the movie.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

KOTM plot and characters > KOTM monsters and fight scenes
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m going to get a lot of hate for this:
KOTM Ghidorah and Anime Ghidorah>>>>All other Ghidorah incarnations.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I’m going to get a lot of hate for this:
I'd be inclined to agree. I really enjoy both these incarnations of the character

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godzillian wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I’m going to get a lot of hate for this:
I'd be inclined to agree. I really enjoy both these incarnations of the character
There are aspects of the Showa one that I prefer but every other Ghidorah appearance outside of his first film really under played the character's menace. I love Monster Zero so I'm ok with that one but every other Showa Ghidorah is flunky of yet ANOTHER alien race. The 90's one felt really lifeless with no personality of its own the only time he every fights or acts aggressive is when he's under the control of the future people. Finally I love GMK and I think Ghidorah works really well in that film and they pulled off making him a hero but it's not a role that the character was ever meant to play. The Anime and KOTM Ghidorahs were the first ones to REALLY make him a frightening and down right evil presence in a long time.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote:The 1992 Godzilla vs. Mothra is usually viewed as one of the worst films in the entire franchise, but I think that's largely an overreaction because it's very derivative of other better films. It's not a great movie by any means but I think it's firmly middle of the pack. I know some will disagree but I think it's very entertaining; after that the VS series got a little tedious with the "G-Force trilogy."
It's a fun movie, in my opinion. I always kind of enjoyed the sound effect accompanying Godzilla's ray in the film.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

shadowgigan wrote:
It's a fun movie, in my opinion. I always kind of enjoyed the sound effect accompanying Godzilla's ray in the film.
Wasn't that the same sound effect used for Shin's ray or am I thinking of something else?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Anime Trilogy was better executed and written with it`s limited budget then King of the Monsters.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla 1998 was a better film than Godzilla:COTEOB.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:Godzilla 1998 was a better film than Godzilla:COTEOB.
Even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and you were right, 98 had a budget of at least 130 Million, if not for way more due to inflation. and COTEB had a budget most likely less then 13 million then that shouldn`t surprise anyone.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Godzilla 1998 was a better film than Godzilla:COTEOB.

RIP Evan.