Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:40 pm I'm curious: What do you '55 fans see in that design? At certain angles, and in certain shots (often dependent on the photography), I think it looks OK, but overall, it's my least favorite Godzilla suit (yes, even below the SoG costume). Give me the unused 1957 Godzilla suit instead.
I mean, I definitely prefer the 57 suit; it's the closest they managed to recreating the look of the original suit throughout the whole Showa era.

But there's a weird, admittedly ugly, animalistic ferocity conveyed by the 55 suit. It's not one of my favorites - I easily prefer the next three suits to follow it - but, while it's clunky, it's got its own strange charm for me.

But I don't really think these things can be too well quantified, either. In the end, I like it because I like it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 am
Huh, I always thought they just sent over the GyakushuGoji suit.
The story always seemed to be that Toho shipped these new suits overseas, but the Bob Burn's anecdote about finding Godzilla and Angilas suits stored in boxes seems to indicate that the costumes had been used previously and that there were burn holes on Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:05 pm
Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:40 pm I'm curious: What do you '55 fans see in that design? At certain angles, and in certain shots (often dependent on the photography), I think it looks OK, but overall, it's my least favorite Godzilla suit (yes, even below the SoG costume). Give me the unused 1957 Godzilla suit instead.
I mean, I definitely prefer the 57 suit; it's the closest they managed to recreating the look of the original suit throughout the whole Showa era.

But there's a weird, admittedly ugly, animalistic ferocity conveyed by the 55 suit. It's not one of my favorites - I easily prefer the next three suits to follow it - but, while it's clunky, it's got its own strange charm for me.

But I don't really think these things can be too well quantified, either. In the end, I like it because I like it.
You prefer it over... Mosu?
For Emperor and Empire!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:44 pm

I think he's saying he prefers the next three suits
He Jock it Made of Steel

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

That's the opposite of what I said.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:57 pm

That's the opposite of what I said.
Misread that :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

The Anime Trilogy was pretty good if you didn’t expect Kaiju fighting.

2014’s design is better than the later MonsterVerse redesign.

The Mutos are one of the best original Kaiju in recent years, and were far more memorable than (say) Megaguirius.

Anime Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla were really great, hands down.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Monsterverse is the new definitive Kaiju Era.

-Fairly classic/traditional Godzilla
-A Kong that has finally broken free of the shackles where every film is a direct remake of the original
-A series lineup where Kong appeared 'first'(his film is chronologically first) as a nod to the original King Kong preceding Godzilla by decades
-The entirety of the MV is basically a modernization of all of the most iconic elements of the original 15 film Showa Era, including the evolution of the tone and style from dark and serious to much more bombastic
-Drops the elements of the older films that have aged the worst like tiny magical fairies and invading alien species
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm Monsterverse is the new definitive Kaiju Era.

-A Kong that has finally broken free of the shackles where every film is a direct remake of the original
-A series lineup where Kong appeared 'first'(his film is chronologically first) as a nod to the original King Kong preceding Godzilla by decades
-The entirety of the MV is basically a modernization of all of the most iconic elements of the original 15 film Showa Era, including the evolution of the tone and style from dark and serious to much more bombastic
-Drops the elements of the older films that have aged the worst like tiny magical fairies and invading alien species
Y’know...you’re actually really on the money there. Agreed.

Oh, and the MV has the best designs for Goji, Kong, Mothra, and Rodan. MG is pretty great too, though
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm Monsterverse is the new definitive Kaiju Era.

Funny, because i'm pretty sure that's what most people say are missing from the MonsterVerse so far.

Also, definitive? Maybe we can talk about it being the definitive era in the next decade or so but we have no idea how long the MV will last, or even what it's overall reception is gonna be. For all we know something else Godzilla could come in most people will call that the definitive era.. then again, calling something "definitive" in general is dumb.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:05 pm But there's a weird, admittedly ugly, animalistic ferocity conveyed by the 55 suit. It's not one of my favorites - I easily prefer the next three suits to follow it - but, while it's clunky, it's got its own strange charm for me.

I do think it looks infinitely better in motion than in most still images, probably more so than any other Godzilla suit. It definitely works in GRA in a way that the '54 Godzilla suit couldn't have.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:59 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:05 pm But there's a weird, admittedly ugly, animalistic ferocity conveyed by the 55 suit. It's not one of my favorites - I easily prefer the next three suits to follow it - but, while it's clunky, it's got its own strange charm for me.

I do think it looks infinitely better in motion than in most still images, probably more so than any other Godzilla suit. It definitely works in GRA in a way that the '54 Godzilla suit couldn't have.
Yeah, 100% agree that it looks better in motion.

I may also just be a sucker for prominent fangs.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I agree.

And this is why I love Reiwa being utterly insane.

Let America reinvent the past in a new way to resonate with audience, let Japan see what new heights they can take these characters.

the fairies and aliens better be back at some point though, I'll be mad

Added in 2 minutes 51 seconds:
I'll also add to me, personally, 55 is a fantastic design. It makes the classic 1954 Godzilla look leaner and meaner. It SELLS this is the same monster, but one that rules by fang and claw over a newly awakening kingdom of monsters. The only time's it doesn't work is at certain angles, and really, that's a nitpick.

RIP Evan.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:33 pm the fairies and aliens better be back at some point though, I'll be mad
According to YouTube, aliens are totally confirmed based off an after credits scene that was totally going to happen that had… stuff in it that totally confirmed SpaceGodzilla.
Source: Dude just trust me.

Jokes aside aliens would be pretty dope, I hope it’s not the Xiliens because we’ve had enough of them.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:39 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:33 pm the fairies and aliens better be back at some point though, I'll be mad
According to YouTube, aliens are totally confirmed based off an after credits scene that was totally going to happen that had… stuff in it that totally confirmed SpaceGodzilla.

Jokes aside aliens would be pretty dope, I hope it’s not the Xiliens because we’ve had enough of them.
Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

yes, definitely do something new and unique. If we do have to bring one back, I'd honestly like to see either the Millenians (because their faceless tragic-horror would sell them well to a skeptical audience I hope) or the Black Hole Aliens (because they're total Gs)

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:42 pm

Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

yes, definitely do something new and unique. If we do have to bring one back, I'd honestly like to see either the Millenians (because their faceless tragic-horror would sell them well to a skeptical audience I hope) or the Black Hole Aliens (because they're total Gs)
Well guys, gather around, my friend’s friend’s uncle’s colleague works at Legendary, too!

These are some HEAVY spoilers for the next few films.
Spoiler:
Next film is going to be Kong in the Hollow Earth, where he fights, Gorosaurus, Megalon, Varan and even Mechani Kong!

In Godzilla 3, he’ll face Orga and he’ll have to team up with Gomora and Yongary to stop the Simians from reviving SpaceGodzilla after his ancient clash with Destoroyah! In the post credits, it reveals that Monster X and Gwangi are ancient rivals, and they’re gonna awaken to rematch!
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm -Drops the elements of the older films that have aged the worst like tiny magical fairies and invading alien species
I disagree here. Mothra, in both GMK and the Monsterverse, is lesser because she lacks those magical fairies. Taking them away is like taking away Godzilla's atomic breath.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MV doesn’t need Anguirus. We need Megalon.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:59 am MV doesn’t need Anguirus. We need Megalon.
The world needs him...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Oh, I HOPE more than anything the Xiliens eventually come to the MonsterVerse. And when they do, bring back Kazuki Kitamura to reprise his role as the Xilien Controller.

It would be a dream come true for me.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image