Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by CommanderBowser »

Here are a few unpopular opinions about Godzilla

For starters, my favourite Godzilla film is Godzilla: Final Wars (it's also my first Godzilla film).
While we are on the topic, Final Goji is my favourite Godzilla design.

I find Final Wars underrated, but I also find Godzilla vs Megalon, Godzilla 1998 and the Anime Godzilla Trilogy to be underrated as well.

Monster X and Zilla are amoung my favourite kaiju. Jet Jaguar, Titanosaurus and the original kaiju of Godzilla: Trading Battle are also underrated.

On the other hand, I find GMK to be overrated, not just because of the plot and Ghidorah being OOC, it's also because of an unpleasant scene (don't want to talk about it) and the way Godzilla got (mostly) destroyed makes Zilla's death look more reasonable by comparison.
I also find King Ghidorah (or at least some of the Incarnations) to be overrated. Heisei is a fun incarnation however (especially as Mecha King Ghidorah), and the Legendary one is hype worthy.
Last edited by CommanderBowser on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

CommanderBowser wrote: On the other hand, I find GMK to be overrated, not just because of the plot and Ghidorah being OOC, it's also because of an unpleasant scene (don't want to talk about it) and the way Godzilla got (mostly) destroyed makes Zilla's death look more reasonable by comparison.
While I do like GMK, I do agree with you about Godzilla's final defeat. Not against his death ray being used against him per se, but I don't like how he kind of got nerfed via crappy regen powers.

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

There is some good things about GMK, mainly Baragon's design, the destruction scenes and the soundtrack.

Speaking of which, another flaw is that Baragon was not given some of his abilities of his Showa counterpart. It's a good thing that the Atari Godzilla games gave that Baragon justice, by giving him a head beam.

Speaking of which, I find Godzilla Unleashed, PS4 Godzilla and Godzilla: Trading Battle to be underrated.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

CommanderBowser wrote:There is some good things about GMK, mainly Baragon's design, the destruction scenes and the soundtrack.

Speaking of which, another flaw is that Baragon was not given some of his abilities of his Showa counterpart. It's a good thing that the Atari Godzilla games gave that Baragon justice, by giving him a head beam.
That was an artistic choice by the director. He wanted the guardian monster to be basic with no major abilities. It's why he had varan and angurius in the first draft. Baragon is just what's left over from that idea after Toho's demands on the rewrite.

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Then how come King Ghidorah gets to use his abilities?
Last edited by CommanderBowser on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

CommanderBowser wrote:Then how come King Ghidorah gets to use his abilities?

A change necessitated by King Ghidorah's character perhaps? It is worth noting that even then he barley uses his flight or gravity beams all that often as most of his fights with Godzilla are tooth and nail.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

CommanderBowser wrote:Then how come King Ghidorah gets to use his abilities?
I'd imagine a bit of Toho mandate and the director working them in. Notice how when he uses them it's a big moment when he is revived in the film and has some weight to it.

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Ok they are both an acceptable reason

Now for one more unpopular opinion: The 84 goji costume is one of my favourite Godzilla costumes

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

CommanderBowser wrote:Now for one more unpopular opinion: The 84 goji costume is one of my favourite Godzilla costumes
I quite love that costume, though that probably has a lot to do with my age and that movie's importance to my process of becoming a fan. I saw Godzilla 1985 on the big screen when I was 6 years old, and it had a tremendous impact on me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It is a good suit, especially the head. It has feral and sinister look that goes well with Godzilla as a destroyer.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Always reminded me of an updated version of the 1973-75 suit.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Never was a big fan of the 84 suit. The design itself is fine but I think it really fails in execution especially with those derp eyes.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godzillian wrote:Never was a big fan of the 84 suit. The design itself is fine but I think it really fails in execution especially with those derp eyes.
The eyes can look FANTASTIC in the right angle and pretty much horrible in every other angle.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

cloverfan98 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Never was a big fan of the 84 suit. The design itself is fine but I think it really fails in execution especially with those derp eyes.
The eyes can look FANTASTIC in the right angle and pretty much horrible in every other angle.
Eh, the angles where they DO work are few and far between. The eyes kinda kill the design for me.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The eyes on the 84 suit are no worse than the eyes on the 64 suit, honestly.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

UltramanGoji wrote:The eyes on the 84 suit are no worse than the eyes on the 64 suit, honestly.
For me the "glossy eyes" look on the 64 suit helped it better, while with the 84 suit it's definitely far more noticeable.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Godzilla vs Megalon is raw as fuck
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KillCrites wrote:Godzilla vs Megalon is raw as fuck
Hell yeah it is.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That music when Godzilla and Jet Jaguar team up on Megalon is one of the most iconic Godzilla themes.

I can still hear the dude sing Jet JAGuAua JET JAGUAAAAAAA with the trumpets hitting those high notes
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
KillCrites wrote:Godzilla vs Megalon is raw as skreeonk
Hell yeah it is.
Fuck yeah...... :twisted: