The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Gotta love how no one has respect for the way these monsters are brought to life, only for how they look or what they are.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Orichalcum wrote:Gotta love how no one has respect for the way these monsters are brought to life, only for how they look or what they are.

yeah but Kumonga just means spider, doesn’t have a cool kick ass name like SCYLLA
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:45 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:Gotta love how no one has respect for the way these monsters are brought to life, only for how they look or what they are.

yeah but Kumonga just means spider, doesn’t have a cool kick ass name like SCYLLA

Well, it means "humongous spider." What exactly does "Scylla" mean? And how is it pronounced? Is that a silent "c"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Kumonga’s portrayed by a cheap dollar store Halloween decoration, skreeonk that, give me cool realistic Scylla anyday
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:58 pm

In all seriousness, I think one thing I really dislike about the modern sling of Monsterverse creatures is actually their names. Like the majority of them have names from either the Bible or Greek mythology, stereotypically “epic names”. It’s like,”we need to give them epic names to be cool”.

One thing I really liked, was actually the MUTOs name. It stood for something, but also worked as stand alone original creature name,
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:One thing I really liked, was actually the MUTOs name. It stood for something, but also worked as stand alone original creature name,

I don't really like the way it's pronounced. No actual, objective criticism of it, I just don't like the way it sounds.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Everytime I read/hear "Scylla" the first monster that pops into my head is the one from Project Maigo

LSD Jellyfish wrote:In all seriousness, I think one thing I really dislike about the modern sling of Monsterverse creatures is actually their names. Like the majority of them have names from either the Bible or Greek mythology, stereotypically “epic names”. It’s like,”we need to give them epic names to be cool”.

Man, same. Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Komenja wrote:Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.

Lord, yes! "Titans" is so pretentious it hurts.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:One thing I really liked, was actually the MUTOs name. It stood for something, but also worked as stand alone original creature name,

I don't really like the way it's pronounced. No actual, objective criticism of it, I just don't like the way it sounds.

Me either, I prefer (Mew-Toe)

Added in 41 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
Komenja wrote:Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.

The entire movie was pretentious so it fits right in.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

eabaker wrote:

iF We dONT giVE tHEm LITerARY sIGNificANT naMES tO bE ANAlyzed hOW elSE arE we suPPOSed shOW wE PUt soME THOughT INto THe FiLM

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Komenja wrote:Everytime I read/hear "Scylla" the first monster that pops into my head is the one from Project Maigo

Best novel in the Nemesis saga imo.

Man, same. Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.

I wish they had called it the Kaijuverse instead of Monsterverse, yes it's clunky but it's more specific, Monsterverse could just mean monsters in general like Dracula, not giant ones specific.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
Komenja wrote:Everytime I read/hear "Scylla" the first monster that pops into my head is the one from Project Maigo

Best novel in the Nemesis saga imo.

I wish they had called it the Kaijuverse instead of Monsterverse, yes it's clunky but it's more specific, Monsterverse could just mean monsters in general like Dracula, not giant ones specific.

I remember originally people being excited, myself included, that it might lead to some exciting things like a remake of THEM!

DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician

Postby DirektorSplennic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm

I pronounce Scylla like "Sky-la". Is that wrong?
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm

DirektorSplennic wrote:I pronounce Scylla like "Skyla". Is that wrong?

Yeah, it’s like Zilla with an “S”

DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician

Postby DirektorSplennic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:00 pm

Orichalcum wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I pronounce Scylla like "Skyla". Is that wrong?

Yeah, it’s like Zilla with an “S”

Well I don't like that. That sounds dumb. I refuse to conform to society's pronunciation of Scylla.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:06 pm

I liked pronouncing it “Cy-La”

GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent

Postby GoWhaleTours » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Skill-uh
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:18 pm

DirektorSplennic wrote:I pronounce Scylla like "Sky-la". Is that wrong?

No,i pronunce it like that too.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:43 pm

It's still inaccurate whether you do it too. Mike pronounced it *Silla* in the commentary.

Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent

Postby Fish Cakes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Scylla is named after the monster from Homer's Odyssey. Come the skreeonk on, guys.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Return to “General Toho Films”