The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ROMG4
G-Grasper

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by ROMG4 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:26 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:54 am A few minutes in and I already hate this guy. How can one be so wrong in their views about the legendary Godzilla design? Like, its not my favorite either, but a super reptilian Godzilla makes sense as a counter to Kong. It works well within the context of what the monsterverse is going for. AND IMAGINE BEING BOTHERED THAT GODZILLA COULD DESTROY THINGS EASILY? IMAGINE BEING BOTHERED THAT ITS UNREALISTIC. How can a Godzilla fan think like that?
August Ragone wrote a good book, and used to be a good resource, and other than recent charades is a good dude. However, a lot of his current opinions read as hating on newer stuff, as a fanboy, versus having anything constructive to really say, because the franchise is opening up and becoming easier to “enter”. I get some of the saltiness and agree with it, but a lot of it is not accepting we don’t live in the time period where anyone can easily access Godzilla.
Yeah I mean don't get me wrong I greatly respect and acknowledge August Ragone's achievements in the franchise he has done more good than I could ever do for the franchise. Especially considering he was one of the only beacons of knowledge for decades that is a huge feat

But besides that his presence in the video is pretty terrible, he had the opportunity to say whatever he wanted about GVK whatever insights that were related he could share. Yet he starts and ends the video with the most petty of nitpicks and it just comes off as a major missed opportunity. This was the time to let his insights and knowledge shine on a stage that will reach 100K views in another week, yet he doesn't do much but come off as miserable. He clearly has reasons why he dislikes MV and certain aspects but he doesn't really voice them to any depth and he resorts to these nitpicks to help say it without saying it. Most importantly its just a boring presentation, he doesn't come off excited, knowledgeable beyond a basic level (which he clearly isn't) and more like he doesn't even want to be there let alone talk about the Legendary series. To me the video's just a missed opportunity and checking out the comments most of the casual audience is just ripping at his critiques

If you want to bring people around to your sense of thinking the way you say stuff matters, and August Ragone came off more as Grampa Simpson complaining about the high salaries of today's football players

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:51 amBut besides that his presence in the video is pretty terrible, he had the opportunity to say whatever he wanted about GVK whatever insights that were related he could share. Yet he starts and ends the video with the most petty of nitpicks and it just comes off as a major missed opportunity. This was the time to let his insights and knowledge shine on a stage that will reach 100K views in another week, yet he doesn't do much but come off as miserable. He clearly has reasons why he dislikes MV and certain aspects but he doesn't really voice them to any depth and he resorts to these nitpicks to help say it without saying it. Most importantly its just a boring presentation, he doesn't come off excited, knowledgeable beyond a basic level (which he clearly isn't) and more like he doesn't even want to be there let alone talk about the Legendary series.
If you want to bring people around to your sense of thinking the way you say stuff matters, and August Ragone came off more as Grampa Simpson complaining about the high salaries of today's football players
Good takes all around, and if Toho Kingdom had a like button I’d hit it. I think a lot of this can apply to some of the members who are pre-occupied with the older stuff (myself included) and well articulated. I think the monsterverse has done a lot of good things, and even if I don’t like all of it, I do agree it’s a waste of time to reach possibly interested people.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You'd think he would appreciate that the franchise is becoming easier to access. I can understand holding onto the older films and/or comparing newer ones to them, but change is the only constant in this world. Better or worse, characters and their portrayal will change for a new audience. It's how a franchise survives.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I say if they need some more G-Pros they should partner up with TK for some Thoughts and Q/As, that way we can get some Unofficial Official polls up and running. Get much larger community feedback, etc.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

A bit unrelated, but I found this video; Not cringe in terms of quality or even subject matter per say, but definitely 'unnerving' in the sense that
Spoiler:
two-legged walking Maguna is not something I would ever want to see in real life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpwyBEIBND8

Also Vrahno is a blessing and y'all can't change my mind
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Wed May 05, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:58 pm A bit unrelated, but I found this video; Not cringe in terms of quality or even subject matter per say, but definitely 'unnerving' in the sense that
Spoiler:
two-legged walking Maguna is not something I would ever want to see in real life

See if Maguma had done this in his fight with Shin Godzilla I might have swallowed his KWC loss to him more.

That will be in my nightmares now.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:58 pm A bit unrelated, but I found this video; Not cringe in terms of quality or even subject matter per say, but definitely 'unnerving' in the sense that
Spoiler:

Holy Banana Oil that is an AMAZING animator!

This may not be "cringe" per say but I don't know where else to vent this frustration. Authors who write very well made and academic level of researched books on Japanese film who then see that as justification for charging TEXTBOOK prices for an EBOOK. Take a look at The Toho Studios Story: A History and Complete Filmography by Stuart Galbraith, IV listed on Google play books for $171.60 which is discounted from $214.50

https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... o8pq6G_dYC

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Spoiler:

Ah Vrahno, hilarious as usual

That new Legendary Godzilla model looking amazing too
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Remember that Mei Kamino pic that ended up being LSD's hero test? Well, I've found something infinitely worse, so bad I can't even stomach copy-pasting the image address. But for those who have nothing to lose, I have the name of the art in spoiler tags below so you can find it on DeviantArt. Just so you know, I am so very sorry in advance.
Spoiler:
USSSSBBW Mujina.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:05 pm Remember that Mei Kamino pic that ended up being LSD's hero test? Well, I've found something infinitely worse, so bad I can't even stomach copy-pasting the image address. But for those who have nothing to lose, I have the name of the art in spoiler tags below so you can find it on DeviantArt. Just so you know, I am so very sorry in advance.
Spoiler:
USSSSBBW Mujina.
Never post on TK ever again.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:05 pm Remember that Mei Kamino pic that ended up being LSD's hero test? Well, I've found something infinitely worse, so bad I can't even stomach copy-pasting the image address. But for those who have nothing to lose, I have the name of the art in spoiler tags below so you can find it on DeviantArt. Just so you know, I am so very sorry in advance.
Spoiler:
USSSSBBW Mujina.
Never post on TK ever again.
Yes, master...

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

For Godzilla Singular Point
Spoiler:
https://twitter.com/Ja_Crispy_Vic/statu ... 74048?s=20 so I found this on Twitter, I guess he doesn’t count Kamata-kun and Shinagawa-kun as Godzilla
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

He’s got a point

With how out there Toho is getting with Godzilla we gotta reconsider our stance on 98. SP Godzilla is making zilla look tame with its changes.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I feel I need to see Godzilla Singular Point for context XD

Stupid June release.
Spoiler:
But I deem those "forms" like I do the Shin Godzilla ones, only the final form is truly Godzilla with the rest being more of a rapid evolution to that point.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun May 09, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am
He’s got a point

With how out there Toho is getting with Godzilla we gotta reconsider our stance on 98. SP Godzilla is making zilla look tame with its changes.
Spoiler:
I think as long they forms of Godzilla , I think it could work,
but Yeah your right Toho is being very experimental with the Godzilla Materials, how long until they go too far?

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:58 am I feel I need to see Godzilla Singular Point for context XD

Stupid June release.
Spoiler:
But I deem those "forms" like I do the Shin Godzilla ones, only the final form is truly Godzilla with the rest being more of a rapid evolution to that point.
You can see it on kissanime
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun May 09, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:58 am I feel I need to see Godzilla Singular Point for context XD

Stupid June release.
Spoiler:
Spoiler tags, please?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

He’s got a point

lol, no we don't.

Folks even on here have said for years that the design was not the problem with G'98. It's the fact she actively fled from the military and was brought down by conventional arms that make her In Name Only.

The spirit of Godzilla is simply not there. Why do people keep forgetting this part?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

NSZ wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:03 am
He’s got a point

lol, no we don't.

Folks even on here have said for years that the design was not the problem with G'98. It's the fact she actively fled from the military and was brought down by conventional arms that make her In Name Only.

The spirit of Godzilla is simply not there. Why do people keep forgetting this part?
Oh Yeah, I forgot about that, My apologies

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am For Godzilla Singular Point
Spoiler:
https://twitter.com/Ja_Crispy_Vic/statu ... 74048?s=20 so I found this on Twitter, I guess he doesn’t count Kamata-kun and Shinagawa-kun as Godzilla
I agree with him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

'98 is Godzilla though :D
Edit: I saw that "Kaiju expert reacts" video on YouTube but didn't watch it. With it being August, I can already imagine the way it goes. It's a shame he's gone from being known for his toku knowledge to arguing with kids about Kamen Rider on Facebook.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun May 09, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.