The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Breakdown
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Breakdown »

I can't hate the guy tbh. Dude is living the dream making official artwork for various Kaiju media.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:28 am Frank's following just goes to show we need more Godzilla comic artists and writers out there to follow lol. No one man should be looked at as the end-all be-all kaiju artist. He's immaculate with his work, but I wish the fandom showed this much love to other artists.
Thanks for the kind words!

I’m inclined to agree. That’s why I’ve been trying to highlight other artists on Twitter and bring them in on other jobs. Jolyon Yates is criminally underrated which is one of the reasons I recommended for him to contribute to the Gamera set. And the work he turned around for the Yokai set and the Shaw Bros set is PHENOMENAL.
https://www.facebook.com/jolyon.yates

Christian Gonzalez has come a LONG way from doing inks on Redman for me. He’s got TWO Godzilla covers under his belt and that kaiju head-shot shirt he designed has gotten really popular!
https://twitter.com/seaguns_art?s=21&t= ... s97jFcLW3Q

Frankie Washington has a really underrated style, makes me think of old Jack Kirby comics!
https://instagram.com/frankiebwash?utm_medium=copy_link

And EVERYONE should be following Sophie Campbell. She doesn’t do much regular kaiju art outside of our competing kaiju redesigns but she did the Destroy All Monsters poster for Criterion (one of the best of the set) and she’s the regular artist/writer on TMNT these days!
https://twitter.com/mooncalfe1?s=21&t=8 ... pTc1T-54qQ

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Jolyon Yates is a name I definitely remember seeing back in the early G-FAN days. Always liked his stuff. I regularly follow Christian and Sophie on social media as well. People who say we don't have many kaiju artists out there to follow must not be looking very hard because there's tons of great artists out there, even if they've not done any work for major companies. Two underrated artists I love are Lisa Naffziger and Ray Fromme, both are regulars at G-FEST's Artist Alley and put out great work.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaijusamurai wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:32 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:28 am Frank's following just goes to show we need more Godzilla comic artists and writers out there to follow lol. No one man should be looked at as the end-all be-all kaiju artist. He's immaculate with his work, but I wish the fandom showed this much love to other artists.

I’m inclined to agree. That’s why I’ve been trying to highlight other artists on Twitter and bring them in on other jobs. Jolyon Yates is criminally underrated which is one of the reasons I recommended for him to contribute to the Gamera set. And the work he turned around for the Yokai set and the Shaw Bros set is PHENOMENAL.

Christian Gonzalez has come a LONG way from doing inks on Redman for me. He’s got TWO Godzilla covers under his belt and that kaiju head-shot shirt he designed has gotten really popular!

Frankie Washington has a really underrated style, makes me think of old Jack Kirby comics!

And EVERYONE should be following Sophie Campbell. She doesn’t do much regular kaiju art outside of our competing kaiju redesigns but she did the Destroy All Monsters poster for Criterion (one of the best of the set) and she’s the regular artist/writer on TMNT these days!
Love seeing the support for other artists! Do you hold redesign contests? I think that'd be a really cool way to find, or even boost unknown up and comers like myself. It's difficult to find outlets where you can get your foot in the door. I especially dig Frankies work.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:40 pm
Kaijusamurai wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:32 pm

Love seeing the support for other artists! Do you hold redesign contests? I think that'd be a really cool way to find, or even boost unknown up and comers like myself. It's difficult to find outlets where you can get your foot in the door. I especially dig Frankies work.
Oh man, I haven’t considered contests in a long time…but that’s a great idea! I’ll throw that one on my “To Do” board.
I *do* have a pretty elaborate plan to boost the profiles of underrated kaiju artists…hopefully I can pull the trigger on that later this year.
Oh and everyone should check Tyler Sowles’ page - he’s got a new comic about a giant iguanodon!
https://www.facebook.com/ColossalConqueror/

Added in 1 minute 16 seconds:
Also JNavs post a link to your stuff here, I’d like to see it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaijusamurai wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:32 pm Oh man, I haven’t considered contests in a long time…but that’s a great idea! I’ll throw that one on my “To Do” board.
I *do* have a pretty elaborate plan to boost the profiles of underrated kaiju artists…hopefully I can pull the trigger on that later this year.
Oh and everyone should check Tyler Sowles’ page - he’s got a new comic about a giant iguanodon!
https://www.facebook.com/ColossalConqueror/

Added in 1 minute 16 seconds:
Also JNavs post a link to your stuff here, I’d like to see it!
Sure thing! I don't have much uploaded, but I have been working on more projects. I'd love to partake in anything that can really boost smaller artists.
https://www.deviantart.com/jnavsofficial
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

Nice! Thanks for sharing, I’ll take a look!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:10 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:03 pm
Spuro wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:03 pm

Godzilla Neo was a clever advertising campaign on Matt’s part. It’s thanks to that series that he’s grown as big as he is now.
That's not connected to the Neo Monster Island kook is it?
Godzilla Neo was a series of artworks, I’m not quite sure what Neo Monster Island is.
A member of the Godzilla community on Twitter. Literally his only reason for being as known as he is is political arguments. Also, he had a website with kaiju gijinka lolicon so uhh... there's that.

EDIT: Just realized not everyone knows weeb speak. So, you know Kaiju Girls? That softcore comic with big (in more ways than one) women in skimpy Halloween costumes of kaiju? Imagine that... but with children.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:39 pm Jolyon Yates is a name I definitely remember seeing back in the early G-FAN days. Always liked his stuff.
He's also in G14 as one of the workers running out of the Janjira plant in 1999. That was cool to see.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:39 pm Jolyon Yates is a name I definitely remember seeing back in the early G-FAN days. Always liked his stuff. I regularly follow Christian and Sophie on social media as well. People who say we don't have many kaiju artists out there to follow must not be looking very hard because there's tons of great artists out there, even if they've not done any work for major companies. Two underrated artists I love are Lisa Naffziger and Ray Fromme, both are regulars at G-FEST's Artist Alley and put out great work.
Lisa Naffziger is great! She (pardon the plug) did the banner art for G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast! (Whereas a certain OTHER kaiju artist under discussion didn't even bother to reply to our message :lol: .)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 pm A member of the Godzilla community on Twitter. Literally his only reason for being as known as he is is political arguments. Also, he had a website with kaiju gijinka lolicon so uhh... there's that.
To be clear, because I think it's very important, the Neo Monster Island thing is an entirely separate debacle and entity from Matt Frank's Godzilla Neo. Please do not begin to discuss that bag of worms, because a lot of that (Neo Monster Island) was pretty disgusting.

Regarding Godzilla NEO, I think it's amazing because I recall being really hyped and excited at the same time. Now looking back at it, a lot of it is rough. However, rather than see that as a negative, it's really interesting comparing and seeing how Mr. Frank has improved over time. You can see the transition from that, to Godzilla Legends 1, to GROE. I want to offer some pushback of Matt being "the only Godzilla artist", because a lot of the creators on the western side of things have had a pretty vital role in the franchise's success here. Arthur Adams is a big name, as is Bob Eggleton's fantastic work. Likewise, Chris Mowry comes to mind, and so does even dopeope's 3D rendering. There's a lot of other creators, of all varieties that are pretty vital to the franchise. I think haters only focus on Matt Frank because he's a bit outspoken on his political beliefs (ones that I mostly agree with) and is more publicly accessible (as we can see in this thread!) than most.
Chris55 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:11 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:39 pm Jolyon Yates is a name I definitely remember seeing back in the early G-FAN days. Always liked his stuff.
He's also in G14 as one of the workers running out of the Janjira plant in 1999. That was cool to see.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

eabaker wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:17 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:39 pm Jolyon Yates is a name I definitely remember seeing back in the early G-FAN days. Always liked his stuff. I regularly follow Christian and Sophie on social media as well. People who say we don't have many kaiju artists out there to follow must not be looking very hard because there's tons of great artists out there, even if they've not done any work for major companies. Two underrated artists I love are Lisa Naffziger and Ray Fromme, both are regulars at G-FEST's Artist Alley and put out great work.
Lisa Naffziger is great! She (pardon the plug) did the banner art for G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast! (Whereas a certain OTHER kaiju artist under discussion didn't even bother to reply to our message :lol: .)
WELL that might be one of the reasons why a certain kaiju artist hired an assistant and made a pro email account because they were drowning in messages 🤣🤣🤣 (seriously though if it was me I apologize)

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:20 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 pm A member of the Godzilla community on Twitter. Literally his only reason for being as known as he is is political arguments. Also, he had a website with kaiju gijinka lolicon so uhh... there's that.
To be clear, because I think it's very important, the Neo Monster Island thing is an entirely separate debacle and entity from Matt Frank's Godzilla Neo. Please do not begin to discuss that bag of worms, because a lot of that (Neo Monster Island) was pretty disgusting.
I just said that because Voyager asked.

But okay, mouth zipped.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Kaijusamurai wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:08 pm Nice! Thanks for sharing, I’ll take a look!
Can you look at my stuff too, senpai?

:cry:
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

Breakdown wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:54 pm
Kaijusamurai wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:08 pm Nice! Thanks for sharing, I’ll take a look!
Can you look at my stuff too, senpai?

:cry:
Lol go for it!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Wow. Matt Frank himself is here in this thread. That's. wow. Hey Matt, I know your a busy I guy but I just want you to know that you and Art Adams are like my biggest artistic role models and inspired me to try to practice really hard on my Godzilla art, which is exceedingly difficult as my ADHD makes consistently working on projects a hassle for sure.

If you feel like it, would be totally cool if you look at some of my kaiju art: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ize8uBV

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaijusamurai wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:22 pm
eabaker wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:17 pm
WELL that might be one of the reasons why a certain kaiju artist hired an assistant and made a pro email account because they were drowning in messages 🤣🤣🤣 (seriously though if it was me I apologize)
There are no hard feelings! We reached out to a few favorite artists because we knew not everyone would have a chance to get back to us, and we're thrilled with the way it worked out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I’ve always loved Matt’s art. I don’t really have a problem with him being the most popular Kaiju artist. He was also the first to make me realize I need to see Godzilla holding a sword. Lol.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

James Stokoe is a great Godzilla artist, too. Exhibit A: I give you Godzilla: The Half-Century War.

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:36 pm Wow. Matt Frank himself is here in this thread. That's. wow. Hey Matt, I know your a busy I guy but I just want you to know that you and Art Adams are like my biggest artistic role models and inspired me to try to practice really hard on my Godzilla art, which is exceedingly difficult as my ADHD makes consistently working on projects a hassle for sure.

If you feel like it, would be totally cool if you look at some of my kaiju art: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ize8uBV

I’ve seen some of your stuff popping up, it’s not too shabby! I’ll add it to the list of stuff to look over.
And I feel you on ADHD - I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 35 years old!