The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

ROMG4 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:01 am I haven't been able to read G-Fan for a few years but I've definitely been hearing about the strangeness and absolutely weird stuff though I definitely need to refresh myself on it since its somewhat of a blur for me
I do know he was saying Covid was going to be a lil hiccup and the flu was more dangerous.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat May 22, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:42 am Wasn’t this the cringe thread?
This thread sort of alternates between cringe, Godzilla design discussions, toilet jokes and random life stories.
Chaos, chaos...

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

JD Lees definitely has a history of being a belligerent moron.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tbeasley wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:28 pm JD Lees definitely has a history of being a belligerent moron.
That’s funny, every time I have met him, he’s been nothing short of an absolute gentlemen.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:36 am
ROMG4 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:01 am I haven't been able to read G-Fan for a few years but I've definitely been hearing about the strangeness and absolutely weird stuff though I definitely need to refresh myself on it since its somewhat of a blur for me
I do know he was saying Covid was going to be a lil hiccup and the flu was more dangerous.
Yeah. He only canceled the last two G-Fests because in the end it was out of his control. At no point did he seem to understand how serious it was (especially last year) and how terrible being belligerent about it made him look.

Also, there was that super cringey defense of the blackface natives in KKvsG in an issue of the magazine last year.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:50 am Also, there was that super cringey defense of the blackface natives in KKvsG in an issue of the magazine last year.
Oh god... Does anyone have a link? Some cringe just needs to be seen to be believed.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:57 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:50 am Also, there was that super cringey defense of the blackface natives in KKvsG in an issue of the magazine last year.
Oh god... Does anyone have a link? Some cringe just needs to be seen to be believed.
Don't do it man. Some cringe must be left alone.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:17 pm Agreed. I don't mind redesigning a character, but how you portray that character is important. You could call Godzilla giant reptile born from radiation, but that description also applies to The Beast and The Giant Behemoth. How Godzilla acts and is portrayed is what makes Godzilla Godzilla.
That's like the duck test: if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, flies like a duck and swims like a duck, then it's probably a duck.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:52 pm Don't do it man. Some cringe must be left alone.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:52 pm Don't do it man. Some cringe must be left alone.
:oops:

I really hope you're talking about the cringe link if not.....

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:24 pm

Don't worry it's just the cringe I'm after, put it in the bag and I don't bring up vore.
Edit: Oh jeez, nevermind. I found some screengrabs. It's literally the equivalent of a ScreenRant or CBR clickbait. I'm sure JD was just trying to fill page space, or maybe genuinely raise a question about blackface in the Godzilla series, but the article doesn't actually say much of anything. It just exposes him as being sort of ignorant on the subject.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun May 23, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:28 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:24 pm

Don't worry it's just the cringe I'm after, put it in the bag and I don't bring up vore.
I swear to God if you bring up the vore ...... but alright man, no need to use that against me, we cool, we cool...... let me just put the link up....
*leaves thread*

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I don't know; when J.D. answered the last letter I sent him, he seemed like a nice guy to me.

I even suggested a few article ideas, one on the Bloodthirsty Trilogy, one on the Shintoho Super Giant/Starman film series, and one on the English-language titles used in Japan for kaiju films.

Specifically, these films. Is it:

*Varan or Varan the Unbelievable?
*Dogora or Dogora the Space Monster?
*Gamera or Gamera the Giant Monster?
*Frankenstein vs. Baragon or Frankenstein Conquers the World?
*Gappa or Gappa the Triphibian Monster?
*Space Amoeba or Yog...Monster from Space?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:57 pm I don't know; when J.D. answered the last letter I sent him, he seemed like a nice guy to me.

I even suggested a few article ideas, one on the Bloodthirsty Trilogy, one on the Shintoho Super Giant/Starman film series, and one on the English-language titles used in Japan for kaiju films.

I don't think JD is a bad guy, just maybe bit off a little more than he could chew trying to fill pages. G-fan was with me for a lot of my childhood. As for the titles, isn't there a separate topic for those? The Toho pictures at least have "official" international titles which I think would take precedent.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:32 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:57 pm I don't know; when J.D. answered the last letter I sent him, he seemed like a nice guy to me.

I don't think JD is a bad guy, just maybe bit off a little more than he could chew trying to fill pages. G-fan was with me for a lot of my childhood. As for the titles, isn't there a separate topic for those? The Toho pictures at least have "official" international titles which I think would take precedent.
I know, I should've said I was digressing. These films are merely the ones I don't know what the official English-language titles used in Japan are.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:47 pm I know, I should've said I was digressing. These films are merely the ones I don't know what the official English-language titles used in Japan are.
Nine times out of ten (at least), the titles used on the most recent American video releases will be the preferred/official titles. But, to more precisely answer your question:

Varan; Dogora (original English title was, apparently, "Space Monster Dogora"); Gamera; Frankenstein vs. Baragon; Gappa, the Triphibian Monster (the original title was simply "Gappa"); Space Amoeba.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Member when JD lees wrote that letter ranting about Gareth Edwards and saying he wasn’t a “true Godzilla fan”.

He does more for the franchise than your obsolete magazine lmao
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Dude, J.D is bad but can I just say in general the old dudes who bitch about how the new films are "wrong" in some way are the worst?

Like, I think we can agree people who decry Shin as nationalist propaganda and those guys who claim Americans can't GET Godzilla to dismiss the Monsterverse both suck equally

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shin? Nationalist propaganda? That movie literally mocked the Japanese government. It's as far away from propaganda as you can get. Those people must be out of their minds.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:26 pm Shin? Nationalist propaganda? That movie literally mocked the Japanese government. It's as far away from propaganda as you can get. Those people must be out of their minds.
Them: lOgIqUe!
For Emperor and Empire!