The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm Wow.

The Japanese guests coming to G-Fest this year have asked that the staff mandate a mask/vaccination requirement just in the autograph room for their safety. The staff is gladly obliging. And....people are actually bitching about it. Like, really??

Wow.
Where have you been for the past two years? It's cringy as fuck to be sure, but it's nothing to be surprised about at this point.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yes of course, but it's a shame that Godzilla fans (of all fucking people) couldn't be more respectable to the people who starred in the movies they claim to love.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm And....people are actually bitching about it. Like, really??
People are bitching about the insistence on having the convention while the pandemic is still going on and using the Japanese guest's requests as proof that they probably shouldn't have the convention at all. There was also a minor ripple about announcing Don Frye as being a guest to meet in the Dealer's Room where masks/vaccinations are not required.

I don't really agree with them but that's what it's about. At least from what I saw in my neck of the fandom.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:41 pm I don't understand getting in serious arguments/fights about these films. I don't understand the need to partake in such squabbles, it seems like it would prevent me from enjoying the fandom. I think on one hand there is reasonable debate and discussion, which I would argue is appropriate for any artistic medium. A healthy dose of ribbing is also appropriate, I think. But I don't understand why you would need to call people names, etc., over a film franchise. I see so many arguments on TK and elsewhere that just seem unnecessary. I come to talk about Godzilla online because I don't have anyone to talk to IRL that shares my passion for the franchise. It's been a niche franchise my whole life, lets be welcoming.

Moving on, Godzilla TY is objectively terrible for the most part. Does anyone actually make money off this? Half of it seems to either be regurgitating facts already published on places like TK or these awkward videos like the one mentioned above. It makes me wonder why I work for a living. I should probably just rip a bunch of stuff off the TK Cutting Room archives and paste it together as some super secret "Godzilla Iceberg" video and monetize it. Ugh. With that being said, I do enjoy figure reviews. I've also found the FB groups focused solely on collecting are full of awesome people.
First part I completely agree with you.

Regarding the second part, did you mean Godzilla YouTube? You say TY so I'm not sure if you meant YT. But in this case if it were YT, I can't really agree here. Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of Godzilla videos that just regurgitate information for sake of money and views. That part of the fandom I despise. BUT, with that said, there is a huge portion of the fandom that does thought provoking videos, intriguing perspectives and points of views on these movies we all love, great creative videos like stop motions and 3d/2d animations and fan films, fun gaming videos that are entertaining, etc. The comments can be terrible a lot of times but it's the same place anywhere, including here at TK. That's just the risk you take when exposing yourself to all these new outlets of our fandom. You can't have it be 100% amazing or 100% terrible, there will always be that grey area at the 50% mark and that's never really gonna change. But that isn't a bad thing. If you stay in the right areas that aren't just AI-scripted videos that offer nothing new, then you'd see Godzilla YT is amazing!
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I would say there's some value in videos that just regurgitate information available on TK or other sites. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that a large number, most likely the overwhelming majority, of new fans aren't going to come to an old-fashioned website like this and read to get their information. YouTube videos, however lazily made and profit focused, provide an easier, more mainstream means of at least getting the information to people. Better they learn via YT than not learn at all, right?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Lol, perhaps I followed up my appeal to reason with an unreasonable comment. Sometimes it bes that way. You two are probably correct.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:12 pm I would say there's some value in videos that just regurgitate information available on TK or other sites. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that a large number, most likely the overwhelming majority, of new fans aren't going to come to an old-fashioned website like this and read to get their information. YouTube videos, however lazily made and profit focused, provide an easier, more mainstream means of at least getting the information to people. Better they learn via YT than not learn at all, right?
But YT videos are most likely going to be full of biases or bad takes than a web site or blog written by those who write about this stuff for a living. It's a shame that, instead of reading stuff written by people who have amassed so much info themselves, new fans are happy just going to YT where the info is regurgitated secondhand by someone just looking for likes.

In very rare cases YT isn't a cesspool. It could be so much more.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:53 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:12 pm I would say there's some value in videos that just regurgitate information available on TK or other sites. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that a large number, most likely the overwhelming majority, of new fans aren't going to come to an old-fashioned website like this and read to get their information. YouTube videos, however lazily made and profit focused, provide an easier, more mainstream means of at least getting the information to people. Better they learn via YT than not learn at all, right?
But YT videos are most likely going to be full of biases or bad takes than a web site or blog written by those who write about this stuff for a living. It's a shame that, instead of reading stuff written by people who have amassed so much info themselves, new fans are happy just going to YT where the info is regurgitated secondhand by someone just looking for likes.

The website I learned about Godzilla from back in the 2000s was full of biases and bad takes. Kaiju Headquarters, if anyone remembers it.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Spuro wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:43 pm

The website I learned about Godzilla from back in the 2000s was full of biases and bad takes. Kaiju Headquarters, if anyone remembers it.
I have no idea what you’re talking about and I want more information please this sounds interesting

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:20 pm

I have no idea what you’re talking about and I want more information please this sounds interesting
Just a kaiju fansite from the 2000s era. It had reviews for all sorts of kaiju movies (not just Godzilla) and pages for all the monsters, a gallery section, trivia about the movies, a Kaiju Wrestling Federation that kind of predated TK's KWC, a kaiju of the month calendar...

I enjoyed it back in the day, and it's where I got most of my information starting out as a youngling. The point I was trying to make is that youtube channels aren't really inherently worse than websites in this "biased and bad takes" regard. Battle for Earth had a five star rating on Kaiju HQ. :lol:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:04 pm

Just a kaiju fansite from the 2000s era. It had reviews for all sorts of kaiju movies (not just Godzilla) and pages for all the monsters, a gallery section, trivia about the movies, a Kaiju Wrestling Federation that kind of predated TK's KWC, a kaiju of the month calendar...

I enjoyed it back in the day, and it's where I got most of my information starting out as a youngling. The point I was trying to make is that youtube channels aren't really inherently worse than websites in this "biased and bad takes" regard. Battle for Earth had a five star rating on Kaiju HQ. :lol:
I fear what they rank SpaceGodzilla :freak:
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:11 pm
Spuro wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:04 pm

I fear what they rank SpaceGodzilla :freak:
Three stars. Decent by the site's standards.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I recall that site. It was alright, though they did cover a wide range of kaiju, including British ones like Gorgo and the Behemoth.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

splitz
Ronin

Post by splitz »

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaijuhq was cool back in the day. As for Toho kingdom I use to recommend people here but if someone wanted to watch YouTube wikiziilla off the top of my head is a good second. Also opinion based youtubers have purpose as well.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

That trendmasters guy is freaking out again because nobody wants to buy his $3K Prototype.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:22 pm That trendmasters guy is freaking out again because nobody wants to buy his $3K Prototype.
This trendmasters guy...is he in the room with us right now?
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I can't believe it! That kid is back on the escalator!!!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

That "new user" profile pic where it has some cutesy-looking Godzilla wearing a sundress. Just... no.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:11 pm That "new user" profile pic where it has some cutesy-looking Godzilla wearing a sundress. Just... no.
Actually, it's Little Godzilla from the TK Toons, and I can't remember what he's wearing, but it's not a sundress.

It's so strange that there are new users who haven't seen the TK Toons. Probably for the best, I haven't seen it in forever but I don't think I would like it as much as I used to years ago.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.