Best/Worst Character Recreations/Incarnations

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
CaptainStarbird
Justiriser

Re: Best/Worst Character Recreations/Incarnations

Post by CaptainStarbird »

2004Zilla wrote:Showa Angilas had a lot more character. The FW one was just more cannon fodder for Godzilla to beat up.
Exactly like any of the FW Kaiju sans maybe Monster X because of his "Final Boss" status if you think about it.
Anguirus, Rodan and King Caesar lasted longer than 30 seconds and were spared in that while Gigan and Monster X's fights with Godzilla were some of the longer moments in the film.
Other monsters got picked off in nothing flat.
Kumonga? Sent flying.
Kamacuras? Impaled by a tower.
Just for two examples, Final Wars didn't really do much justice for different Kaiju in the franchise.
-TK's resident burnout-

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Some of the extra armor plating on FW Anguirus looks okay, but the design is overall a big step down from Showa. And yes, the Thunderball is a ridiculous ability even by kaiju standards. The fact that he has zero personality and acts like some generic video game enemy doesn't do him any favors, either. And that applies to the rest of the FW kaiju, too.

As for one I like (though I wouldn't call it 'best'): The general attempt to upgrade Mothra in the '90s. The execution was... well, Heisei execution, but I do like the idea of Mothra having a beam weapon, and being powerful enough to really hold her own against the likes of Godzilla or Ghidorah. Which isn't to say I don't like the classic 'wind, melee, and poison' approach to combat; that works well, and of course has been used in her best movies. It just doesn't have the firepower to bring down the biggest kaiju guns, though, and forces her to play the underdog. I'd love to see a future incarnation that finds a balance between the two combat styles: she still relies heavily on the classic abilities, but has a powerful beam and maybe some wing lightning in the event that she needs them. Maybe using them too often could sap her energy, or something, to prevent her from becoming a boring spammer again.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Shannon Squid
G-Force Personnel

Post by Shannon Squid »

FW war Anguirus reminded me of a dog in all the wrong ways. Brow was ugly as well, very ugly.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Shannon Squid wrote:FW war Anguirus reminded me of a dog in all the wrong ways. Brow was ugly as well, very ugly.
Dog? DOG!? DO YOU NOT KNOW AN ARMADILLO WHEN YOU SEE ONE!? ;)
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Shannon Squid
G-Force Personnel

Post by Shannon Squid »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Shannon Squid wrote:FW war Anguirus reminded me of a dog in all the wrong ways. Brow was ugly as well, very ugly.
Dog? DOG!? DO YOU NOT KNOW AN ARMADILLO WHEN YOU SEE ONE!? ;)
Well in terms of the squat face he has yes a Dog. There was something rather dogish about the 68 suit, but this one just seemed...pugish or something.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I was referencing when that dude called Anguirus an armadillo in the film.

But yeah, I can totally see where you're coming from. And wasn't one of the longest lasting recent rumors that GFW Anguirus was a modified Dagarla suit?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Well I like Showa Anguirus's personality in the films but FW Anguirus's design is way better. Showa Anguirus's personality is better than FW's.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Millennium Anguirus suit is a huge step down from the concept art. The concept was beautiful, the execution not so much.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art/ ... uirus1.htm
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Heck, I can think of fanart that looks better than the Final Wars Anguirus. :p
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Kiryu is imo the most interesting incarnation of Mechagodzilla. Design wise he's a blend of Showa and Heisei while throwing in some new design elements. His origin is pretty unique as well as essentially he IS Godzilla, putting a whole new twist on the doppelganger aspect of the character. The fact that he is sentient or at least semi-sentient adds a new dynamic to his personality as well. This is shown when it is referenced multiple times that Kiryu doesn't even want to exist, and would rather be in his resting place at the bottom of the ocean.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Rareeve6195
Monsterland Worker

Post by Rareeve6195 »

Ebira in final wars . Not that its bad, but I feel it was a chance to reinvent an old monster in a cool way but missed the opportunity to make him a bit more memorable.
http://youtu.be/vBWniZQLhCY?t=1m24s

Resized Image

I would very much like to see Gorgo Yongary and Pulgasari: Giant Monsters all out attack

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Rareeve6195 wrote:Ebira in final wars . Not that its bad, but I feel it was a chance to reinvent an old monster in a cool way but missed the opportunity to make him a bit more memorable.
You mean like all of Final Wars' cast? ;)

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Rareeve6195 wrote:Ebira in final wars . Not that its bad, but I feel it was a chance to reinvent an old monster in a cool way but missed the opportunity to make him a bit more memorable.
You mean like all of Final Wars' cast? ;)
Ohhh!
He went there!

...And I'm with him. Final Wars did a terrible job reincarnating characters. Just take Gigan for example. While he might look awesome, he was poorly executed and died in practically the same way two times.
Then we have Keizer Ghidorah, who is a bad recreation of King Ghidorah in every way. First off, the name is trying too hard. Second, having him be Frieza a Final Form Transformation thing makes him seem... just off. King Ghidorah was always fighting with all the strength he could muster in his battles, but this guy is takin' his time. I know I made the Frieza joke above, but it's nothing like Frieza. Unlike Frieza where he was kicking ass the whole way through, he got his ass KICKED the whole way through and then he transformed. And it has none of the redeeming abilities about Ghidorah. It's a four-legged monster which, in my opinion at least, looks too much like Yamata No Orochi from Yamata Takeru and as a result does not make me think "Ghidorah", second the Vampire abilities make no sense and don't match with Ghidorah's personality. It just seems too... controlled. King Ghidorah isn't a "I'm gonna slowly kill this one guy and pick off one target at a time" kind of a guy, he's a "I'm gonna kill everyone at once and nobody's gonna be able to stop me because I'M KING GHIDORAH" kind of guy. Finally, the third complaint. The Gravity Beams are stupid. Instead of being lightning-like bolts that cause heavy amounts of damage, they are Corona Beams that instead of hurting the target, pick them up from a distance and allows him to throw them. Never mind the fact that the same beam that only has the power to pick up objects BEHEADED HIM, because it's much more interesting and entertaining. to try and find out why the heck Toho thought this was a good recreation of King Ghidorah, or heck, WHY THEY THOUGHT FINAL WARS WAS A GOOD FILM?!

tl;dr Final Wars sucks, Keizer Ghidorah sucks, you should already know this, yadda-yadda.
Last edited by Gojira tai Mosura on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

GFW Gigan LOOKED cool as hell. People where hyped as all hell when they saw the first pictures of the suit...Then in the film, he knocked a ship down, posed, and got his head blown off. Thank god they re-used the suit for the cool action scenes in a pachinko game where he actually kicks some ass.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

LamangoKaijura wrote:GFW Gigan LOOKED cool as hell. People where hyped as all hell when they saw the first pictures of the suit...Then in the film, he knocked a ship down, posed, and got his head blown off. Thank god they re-used the suit for the cool action scenes in a pachinko game where he actually kicks some ass.
Heck yeah.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

HayesAJones wrote:It was the same suit with more vibrant colors, I believe.
I think the neck and snout were longer as well.
Resized Image

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

My favorite Anguiruses are probably the least popular: 55 and 04. I just prefer the longer spikes on the back of 55's head and his more primal, dinosaur-esque appearance, as well as his fast and brutal movements (he is described as being fast in the film). 04 I like for also being fast and agile and I for one really like the Thunderball attack. Imo Anguirus could use some more physical battle skills. The 04 design has grown on me to become one of my favorites so for me, there are no bad incarnations of Anguirus.

Best Godzillas include LegendGoji, ShodaiGoji, MosuGoji, 84Goji (No, I don't think he looks that derpy, comes across as menacing to me most of the time), BioGoji, DesuGoji, MireGoji, and SokogekiGoji. Worst are easily DaisensoGoji, MusukoGoji, and Hanna Barbera Goji because that show is pretty bad. The rest fall somewhere in the middle.

Best King Caesar is 74, 04 is horrible. Best Kumonga is 67, 04 is horrible. Best Hedorah is 71, 04 is horrible. Best Ghidorah is 91, 04 is... kinda strong and has grown on me a bit, but mostly horrible. Best Gigan is 72, the 73 suit looks a bit worse and 04 is very cool but died too easily.

I like all three MechaGodzillas for different reasons, so there are no bad incarnations of MechaGodzilla for me. Showa MechaGodzilla plays my favorite role of any MechaGodzilla seen thus far, as I greatly prefer him as an alien-controlled villain. He's also so damn fun with missiles out the ass. MechaGodzillaII is the one I had a couple toys of growing up, so he's probably the one I'm most attached to. I love his weapons and the fact that he came very close to killing Godzilla. Kiryu is great-looking and the whole malfunctioning thing is a very cool plot point.

MechaGodzillaShowa
Samurai

Post by MechaGodzillaShowa »

KaijuFiend wrote:
Best King Caesar is 74, 04 is horrible. Best Kumonga is 67, 04 is horrible. Best Hedorah is 71, 04 is horrible. Best Ghidorah is 91, 04 is... kinda strong and has grown on me a bit, but mostly horrible. Best Gigan is 72, the 73 suit looks a bit worse and 04 is very cool but died too easily.

I like all three MechaGodzillas for different reasons, so there are no bad incarnations of MechaGodzilla for me. Showa MechaGodzilla plays my favorite role of any MechaGodzilla seen thus far, as I greatly prefer him as an alien-controlled villain. He's also so damn fun with missiles out the ass. MechaGodzillaII is the one I had a couple toys of growing up, so he's probably the one I'm most attached to. I love his weapons and the fact that he came very close to killing Godzilla. Kiryu is great-looking and the whole malfunctioning thing is a very cool plot point.

The first paragraph Best King Caesar is 74, 04 is horrible ... and so on - I agree with you 100%

Regarding MechaGodzillas ...

1974/1975 - Is the best of the best and design of that Kajiu is Awesome and Inspiring.

1993 - Is the most impressive one; but I've feel that addition of Garuda makes it ugly and starts calling itself Super MechaGodzilla was kind like a joke to me but I learned to accept it as it is.

2002 - Was epic and cool looking and I happen to like this version better than one in 1993.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

1993 Mechagodzilla is stupid, I think. 1975 one is the best, IMO. Kiryu was cool. I prefer to call him that instead of Mechagodzilla as he feels very different from the other two and has his own character.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Honestly I'm not a big fan of Heisei Ghidorah, even though I love the film that featured him overall. The problem is that I think he lost a lot of the majesty and mystery that made his Showa counterpart so great. Ghidorah always fascinated and terrified me as a kid because the idea of this inconceivably ancient being roaming the universe and meaninglessly destroying all life it encounters makes for a perfect nemesis to Godzilla, who was created by accident and caused destruction out of anger and pain. It's cool that they tied the origins of the two together, but it's always disappointed me a little that Heisei Ghidorah doesn't have the epic, cosmic backstory that helped make him so scary in the first place.

Godzilla '14 was an AMAZING redesign of the character. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

I hate every single monster update in Final Wars. All of them.