Cool Monster, Bad Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Re: Cool Monster, Bad Movie

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

JAGzilla wrote:
Arbok wrote:
A monster being strong or weak shouldn't impact how good a movie is.
GINO would like a word with you. And speaking of, he absolutely counts as a decently cool monster that got a bad movie. If not for the name, I bet he'd be pretty popular.
Agreed! They should introduce a Zilla movie, and dub the "Godzilla" to "Zilla" in the 98 movie.

8-)
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Arbok wrote:
tymon wrote:Irys
Gah? I can understand someone not caring for Gamera 3, but do you really think it's a bad film?
It's not a bad film per se, but I personally find little no to no enjoyment in it. Feels like a lame anime, and the monster scenes aren't all that impressive (despite some amazing SFX work). Give me the first two Gameras anyday, especially GOTU.

Irys is fucking awesome, though.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I really think they made Spacegodzilla "too cool" with all of those powers.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Spacegodzilla is the kind of recolor monster made up by 12 year olds for their terrible fanfictions.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Megalon-5 wrote:Spacegodzilla is the kind of recolor monster made up by 12 year olds for their terrible fanfictions.
THIS
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Not to mention he's just Super Godzilla with some minor tweaks. He was literally recycled from a video game released the previous year. I even noticed this as a kid, because I had played the game only a few months prior to acquiring a SPACEGODZILLA buttleg.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Megalon-5 wrote:Supergodzilla is the kind of recolor monster made up by 12 year olds for their terrible fanfictions.
fixed for accuracy
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sydney Aradi wrote:
Megalon-5 wrote:Supergodzilla is the kind of recolor monster made up by 12 year olds for their terrible fanfictions.
fixed for accuracy
Yay!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Megalon-5 wrote:Supergodzilla and Spacegodzilla are the kinds of recolor monsters made up by 12 year olds for their terrible fanfictions.
Even better :P

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Lemme see here...

Gigan - While I personally enjoy the first two films he was in, they weren't exactly "good". He's one of my favorite kaiju ever, and I hope we see him in a good film one day.
Dagarah - ROM II was one of the worst movies to come out of Toho. Dagarah, however, was not. I like his design, alot.
Hedorah - Like Gigan, I personally enjoy the movie, but it's not really good. Hedorah is on my "top 5 favorite monsters" list. I just love him.
Grand King Ghidorah - I don't find the film particularly bad, but most people don't like it. Best Ghidorah design, IMO.
Megaguirus - Always loved her design. Looked awesome in the movie.
Monster X - Okay, so not a cool kaiju, but I like him a bit. He's unique (to the Godzilla series, anyways).
Battra - I think Battra's great. Both his larval form and imago forms are really neat.

Eh, that's all I can think of for now.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Here's one, Gezora
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I've never seen his movie, but he seems reasonably cool. I'd like to see him return for some minor role in a future movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ Yeah I bought the fim last year and it wasn't good, but the English dub is helarious! It's so bad XD

But Gezora did have potential and so did Kamoebas but he was found dead in Godzilla Tokyo SOS and Ganimes... well... he was a lightly edited Ebirah.

Gezora would be cool in another film
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I don't know that SPACE AMOEBA is really "bad" so much as it's just kind of dull, but to each his own.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Goji wrote:I don't know that SPACE AMOEBA is really "bad" so much as it's just kind of dull, but to each his own.
I think it's both bad and dull. Easily my least favorite non-Godzilla Toho Kaiju film, with the possible exception of the Rebirth of Mothra films.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The "possible exception"? :P REBIRTH OF MOTHRA II is above and beyond Toho's worst SPX film ever. The other two are barely much better.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Goji wrote:The "possible exception"? :P REBIRTH OF MOTHRA II is above and beyond Toho's worst SPX film ever. The other two are barely much better.
I haven't seen those films in years (Not that I'm complaining!), as opposed to YOG, which I watched only a few months back. A horrible, horrible, month.....
But you're right, the ROM films are utter garbage.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Goji wrote:I don't know that SPACE AMOEBA is really "bad" so much as it's just kind of dull, but to each his own.
There's nothing to really watch for other than the three monsters, and Akira Kubo, if you're like me.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

King Caesar wrote:
There's nothing to really watch for other than the three monsters, and Akira Kubo, if you're like me.
Not to defend what I consider an unforgivably dull movie, but... there is also Kenji Sahara to watch for.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Guys, no mention of Yoshioa Tsuchiya? Bah!