Cool Monster, Bad Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cool Monster, Bad Movie

Post by eabaker »

Goji wrote:Guys, no mention of Yoshioa Tsuchiya? Bah!
Really, the greatest crime of the movie is its waste of an outstanderiffic cast.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ha, no arguments there!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

All the monsters that were in the Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy(Mothra in her various forms, Death Ghidorah, Dagarlah, & Grand King Ghidorah).
Monster-X, a rather cool humanoid monster who resembled the Superman killer Doomsday a bit. Wouldn't mind seeing him used again in an upcoming flick, and pitted against the Big-G again.
Viras. Daikaiju, and evil mastermind rolled into one. Originally, was planned to be Gamera's opponent for the second Kaneko film, but the studio heads wanted something new. Liked Legion, but would love to see an upgraded space squid in future film.
Space Godzilla. Another one that didn't live up to his full potential. I had read a while back an cool idear for a fanfic involving Space-G as something not from outer space, but from an alternate reality. And the Demon of the Depths also being smart enough to command a swarm of bizzare insects(plumbed from a rumored plot in G. Vs. SG) to do his bidding. Making SpaceGodzilla a literial Monster King, with subjects.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

Maguma - A cool looking little guy who i think deserved more than five minutes of screen time.
SpaceGodzilla - I think he looks awesome. I have a family member who hates Godzilla and all Godzilla related anything, but thinks SpaceGodzilla is is one of the coolest things hes ever seen, and i think that speaks volumes for how badass SG looks.
Megaguirus - Love the Rodan connection
Battra - Hes got an awesome design.
Showa Gyaos - Hes a Kaiju vampire, thats pretty cool
Dagarla - Cool looking dragon thing. When i saw ROMII as a child i wasnt used to seeing Mothra without Godzilla, and kept expecting him to show up and save the day, yet i wouldnt become too dissapointed because mothra became....
Aqua Mothra! - would love to see this again in some new movie or other form of media.
Gabara - Hes just very entertaining and makes a cool noise.
Megalon & Jet Jaguar - Not that i hate this movie or anything, but its not exactly what one would call a masterpiece in the common sense of the word. Still, I love both these guys and think the are pretty fun characters
Hedorah - Im not the biggest fan of this particular film (please dont kill me!), but i think Hedorah is one of the most intimidating kaiju around, and has a kind gross yet awesome roar which i love. Imagine looking out the window and seeing that face?

MegaLagoras
Yojimbo

Post by MegaLagoras »

There are SOOO many Ultra kaiju that appeared in bad shows but were totally awesome. I don't know where to begin with them. Also, Yonggary and Cyker.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

MegaLagoras wrote:There are SOOO many Ultra kaiju that appeared in bad shows but were totally awesome. I don't know where to begin with them. Also, Yonggary and Cyker.
None of those are Toho.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Strange when people mention the monster Cyker, I always think about the Guyver zoanoids....
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I think it would have to be Gigan for me from the movie Godzilla vs. Gigan. Gigan was such a cool monster, too bad he wasn't in a better movie.

23Rodan
Samurai

Post by 23Rodan »

MEGALON AND GIGAN ARE AWSOME!!!!!!! but where in bad movies.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

The Giant Condor! That's a great example

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:The Giant Condor! That's a great example
Wait, Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster was a bad movie? That's not how I remember it...
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I love how people keep listing Maguma, as if GORATH is even considered a daikaiju film. The only reason Maguma was even in the damn thing was because producer Tanaka insisted on their being a monster at some point in the film.

Also anyone listing SEA MONSTER is just plain wrong. How it's even remotely a "bad movie" is beyond me.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Just because MST3K did it doesn't make it bad. Not all films on MST3K are bad. (MAROONED and DIABOLIK spring to mind)
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The irony of it all is that the MSTK crew actually like a lot of the movies they've mocked. People seem to think it's the opposite.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Space-Godzilla, A cool monster plagued with a terribly written script

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I found Sea Monster to be pretty boring from what I can remember. I won't call it a bad movie though.
I used to feel that way, but it has grown on me considerably as I've grown older. These days I find it very entertaining.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I have to say Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster has likewise grown on me in the last decade. Although Ebirah is a bit outmatched by the King of the Monsters. He's a cool daikaiju nonethess. And the film's villains, the Red Bamboo, have grown on me, especially after some fanfiction I read featuring them. I have a bit more of an appreciation for the communist terror group. Too bad Toho never has sought to utilize them since.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Battra is an obvious one

I hate to say it, but zilla. If there was never a mention of the name G, I think he could have been a lot better than ahem "that movie" treated him.

Spacegodzilla - in every which way. Origin, design, name, color.
"A monster can live forever"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ I liked the movie GaM: TBFE I thought it was one of the best heisei movies

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

The One and Only wrote:I have to say Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster has likewise grown on me in the last decade. Although Ebirah is a bit outmatched by the King of the Monsters. He's a cool daikaiju nonethess. And the film's villains, the Red Bamboo, have grown on me, especially after some fanfiction I read featuring them. I have a bit more of an appreciation for the communist terror group. Too bad Toho never has sought to utilize them since.
Count me as another one that has grown to like this movie. I recently purchased this movie on DVD.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/