The Unused Concept Art Thread!

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Re: The Unused Concept Art Thread!

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:22 pm I just found concept art for Gaira, the villain in Yoshimitsu Banno's proposed Gamera film!
Oh I am SO referencing this in my Gamera fanfic.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:41 pm Image

Now that's a mazer. I imagine they went with the simpler versions because they would cost less to create.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:22 pm I just found concept art for Gaira, the villain in Yoshimitsu Banno's proposed Gamera film!
Whoa, Banno wanted to do a Gamera film? Damn, he would have been perfect for it.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The first version of Gaira would make a perfect Gamera foe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:47 pm The first version of Gaira would make a perfect Gamera foe.
I could see all three of them as Ultraman monsters.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Round 2 of "Guess what monster this turned out to be".
Hint: It's not from any of the big three franchises.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The Host?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

jeez that was quick

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I could easily see that in a cartoon. It has a kid friendly look.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

A weird guilty pleasure design i like. Porcupine-Godzilla, complete with him being.. er, scientifically accurate. :lol:

Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 am A weird guilty pleasure design i like. Porcupine-Godzilla, complete with him being.. er, scientifically accurate. :lol:

I'm honestly appalled at how many of the G14 concepts look like they would've been true GINOs.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:46 am
Gigantis wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 am A weird guilty pleasure design i like. Porcupine-Godzilla, complete with him being.. er, scientifically accurate. :lol:

I'm honestly appalled at how many of the G14 concepts look like they would've been true GINOs.
I know right? The design process for G14 is so varying and all over the place it's actually fascinating. You have designs that look like they were ripped straight out of a Heisei film and you have those that are so derived they are only vaguely recognizeable as Godzilla. Insane how many iterations it took to finally achieve that iconic Legendary G look.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Devil's advocate here, but isn't that the point of concept art? To weed out what works and what doesn't? I'd argue its actually the byproduct of a good creative process, especially one paired with a proper vision before hand. They saw what they could play with, and knew when things went to far, i.e. hedgehog zilla. If anything I'd say its a testimony to the creative process they had, rather than a, "Damn, how did we not end up with another gino". But that's just my take.
He Jock it Made of Steel

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd rather something exotic and fresh than just a Heisei rehash. If it weren't for those far-fetched concepts, we wouldn't have gotten the best Godzilla design to date.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am Devil's advocate here, but isn't that the point of concept art? To weed out what works and what doesn't? I'd argue its actually the byproduct of a good creative process, especially one paired with a proper vision before hand. They saw what they could play with, and knew when things went to far, i.e. hedgehog zilla. If anything I'd say its a testimony to the creative process they had, rather than a, "Damn, how did we not end up with another gino". But that's just my take.
True

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am Devil's advocate here, but isn't that the point of concept art? To weed out what works and what doesn't? I'd argue its actually the byproduct of a good creative process, especially one paired with a proper vision before hand. They saw what they could play with, and knew when things went to far, i.e. hedgehog zilla. If anything I'd say its a testimony to the creative process they had, rather than a, "Damn, how did we not end up with another gino". But that's just my take.
Exactly. Which is why it's honestly always interesting to look at concept designing processed like these regardless of how out there they are.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You want to create the best design you can, and multiple ideas can aid that process. And you never know when it might give you a fresh and interesting look for the character.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Here's one in particular that catches my eye like a hook with a fish.

"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:56 pm Here's one in particular that catches my eye like a hook with a fish.

Ah yes, my first pfp on here.

TriassicTerror
Samurai

Post by TriassicTerror »

I'm pretty thankful we ended up with the design we did. So much of the G14 concept art is just a little too dinosaur-ish in the head. I love them but I don't think they would've communicated Godzilla like the final design.