Comparing the Godzilla franchise to others

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tymon
Futurian

Re: Comparing the Godzilla franchise to others

Post by tymon »

^Most people still think of them as cheesy, though.

I've never once encountered any of these open-minded people Tamura mentioned, so I keep my interest in Godzilla quiet - not because of shame, but because I'm simply not a fan of awkward moments and weird looks lol. If someone ever asks me if I like Godzilla, then I'll answer truthfully, but until then, I'm a nerd in disguise. 8-)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

tymon wrote:^Most people still think of them as cheesy, though.

I've never once encountered any of these open-minded people Tamura mentioned, so I keep my interest in Godzilla quiet - not because of shame, but because I'm simply not a fan of awkward moments and weird looks lol. If someone ever asks me if I like Godzilla, then I'll answer truthfully, but until then, I'm a nerd in disguise. 8-)
hey me too ;)
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Hide the fact that you're a Godzilla fan? That's something I used to do in elementary school, lol.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I admit I also used to be ashamed of Godzilla. Granted, I think it was just an extension of the alienation I felt in Middle School.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I am pushing 50 and the benefit of being an old fart is you really stop caring about what others think. Plus at this age more people are respectful toward you for the most part and your friends are accepting of you the way you are/

Wear your love of Godzilla with pride!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Tamura wrote:Hide the fact that you're a Godzilla fan? That's something I used to do in elementary school, lol.
Why would you hide it in elementary school? That's the one time in your life when no one will give you crap for it. :dizzy:

I don't go around advertising that I'm into death metal either, nor am I looking to convert anyone to my more obscure, less-respected interests. It aint shame, it's social tact.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

^ actually it's still one of the worst times
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Nah, it aint until fifth or sixth grade when you wanna start "growing up" so that you're not picked on. Nerdy things are the norm for boys K-4, and let's face it, most of these movies are aimed at kids more than they are adults.

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

tymon wrote:^Nah, it aint until fifth or sixth grade when you wanna start "growing up" so that you're not picked on. Nerdy things are the norm for boys K-4, and let's face it, most of these movies are aimed at kids more than they are adults.

For my school it was more like 4th grade. And it's not really that it's kiddish, but that it's nerdy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hiding that you're a Godzilla fan? *shakes head* No. Godzilla is awesome. I know it, you know it. A lot of people sadly do not, but the only way to fix that is to inform them of that fact. I'm not saying to shove it in everybody's face, but outright hiding that you're a fan isn't neccesary.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

^ I don't completely hide it. My friends just don't know how much of a fan I am. They know I like Giant Monsters

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Living Corpse wrote:And where are you guys getting this shame thing from? It's not shame, it's common sense that if someone has no interest in one of your hobbies then it's probably pointless to bring it up in small talk cause all you do is alienate them when talking about something they have no interest in. :?
This is exactly right. If asked, or given a reasonable opportunity I gladly share my hobby/knowledge without coming across as totally obsessed. Now I am obsessed, but that much I hide from say - posting stuff on fb constantly or talking about it ALL the time. I am happy to be known as a G fan though as I have yet to meet anyone else who is.
"A monster can live forever"

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Are you embarrassed to be a Godzilla fan?
That actually makes for a great thread topic.

...well, I thought so
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

ScootaVaran wrote:Are you embarrassed to be a Godzilla fan?
That actually makes for a great thread topic.

...well, I thought so
I agree with this. Especially considering it isn't a mainstream interest.

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

^ well then someone make it!

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

So is someone gonna make that thread or what? Do I have to do it?

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Anyways back on topic-

Box office mojo lists the Star Trek franchise with a total grossing off $1,463,693,272 billion with an average $133,063,025 million per movie (11 total) and i bet if added up all the Godzilla movies total grosses it would be at around that if not more.

My whole point of this topic was to show that while Godzilla is not as big as some of those franchises he certainly can be and its not a low level franchise that nobody knows or cares about like some people on here seem to think. Its still a big franchise and the new LP movie has a chance to make it even bigger!
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

^Exhibit A of fans who treat the franchise with negativity

So what if us fans want it to become a big huge successful franchise? That just means more for the franchise and more for us fans and allows the Godzilla fandom to grow and expand so whats the problem with that? We all win

It may not be important to you but its important to us fans who have grown up with it and would love to see our beloved monster and film series treated in the same light as these other franchises.

And what do you mean it wont become successful even if the movie turns out good? If they make a trilogy it could very well become a billion dollar franchise! As long as each movie grossed atleast 500 million. I dont understand that logic at all
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

gatorzilla wrote:Anyways back on topic-

Box office mojo lists the Star Trek franchise with a total grossing off $1,463,693,272 billion with an average $133,063,025 million per movie (11 total) and i bet if added up all the Godzilla movies total grosses it would be at around that if not more.

My whole point of this topic was to show that while Godzilla is not as big as some of those franchises he certainly can be and its not a low level franchise that nobody knows or cares about like some people on here seem to think. Its still a big franchise and the new LP movie has a chance to make it even bigger!
Godzilla is an acquired taste, and I don't think that will ever change. That's a big reason why I like it so much. The movie with good writing, good effects, etc has a chance to maybe mend the wounds from the GINO saga and be a much higher quality movie, but huge box office? Most likely not. Equal Star Trek? Haha never. A lot of people just can't get on board with the Kaiju genre and with G in particular for different reasons, and it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just glad something new is gonna be produced. More mainstream for G would most likely, like everything else tends to, lead to crappier and crappier quality. Let's leave that to the black eyed peas
"A monster can live forever"

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

gatorzilla wrote:
If you can get the box office data from all the Godzilla movies, convert the yen to US dollars, and scale for inflation, you could find out.

Too bad there probably aren't any records for the Showa series.

It would be much easier to look at the attendance records of both franchises, however.