Creating New Iconic Monsters

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Creating New Iconic Monsters

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:58 am ^Why do you ask other people these questions? What do YOU think the answer is?
I think it’s a matter of preference and/or perspective.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yes, making Destoroyah a demonic crustacean was part of the botched execution. Everything is subjective, but I think this kind of borders on objective. What about his appearance suggests a connection to the Oxygen Destroyer? If anyone has an answer, put it out there.

Some examples of effective design/origin cooperation: Godzilla's keloid scarring and the fact that (in some movies, at least) he gives off harmful radiation solidify his connection to nuclear weapons. Hedorah is a walking pile of acidic sludge that spews out clouds of toxic smog, clearly associating him with pollution. Biollante's Rose form looks like what it is: a plant that's been genetically tampered with and has freakish animal features as a result. Of course the use of these monsters in their respective movies matters a lot, too, and these three did what they set out to do.

And for the record, this does not make Destoroyah inherently bad. He's plenty cool in his own right, but he's not a good Oxygen Destroyer kaiju.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:29 am Yes, making Destoroyah a demonic crustacean was part of the botched execution. Everything is subjective, but I think this kind of borders on objective. What about his appearance suggests a connection to the Oxygen Destroyer? If anyone has an answer, put it out there.

Some examples of effective design/origin cooperation: Godzilla's keloid scarring and the fact that (in some movies, at least) he gives off harmful radiation solidify his connection to nuclear weapons. Hedorah is a walking pile of acidic sludge that spews out clouds of toxic smog, clearly associating him with pollution. Biollante's Rose form looks like what it is: a plant that's been genetically tampered with and has freakish animal features as a result. Of course the use of these monsters in their respective movies matters a lot, too, and these three did what they set out to do.

And for the record, this does not make Destoroyah inherently bad. He's plenty cool in his own right, but he's not a good Oxygen Destroyer kaiju.
The thing is though unless you make him a literal shape/cyborg (which would be far more silly looking than demon crab) of the Oxygen Destroyer device, you really can't make a design of itself invoke the Oxygen Destroyer (and using design aesthetics to invoke something narrative is not that Important). I suppose you could have rotting fish and marine life falling off him in his design.

We did see swat get knocked around by the Oxygen beam while also suffocating, and Godzilla junior was foaming during the fight, both of which invoke the loss of Oxygen.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The problem with Destroyah (can we PLEASE stop calling him Dessy?) is absolutely not his design. His design of all his forms is pretty great, especially the flying form. The problem is 100% the execution of the suits and props.

I'm curious. How would people here want Destroyah to look that also incorporates the Oxygen Destroyer in a more obvious way?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH I don't think you could make Destoroyah LOOK more like he came from the Oxygen Destroyer.. Unless you straight up have the OD fused with his body, but that would probably look weird.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:28 am TBH I don't think you could make Destoroyah LOOK more like he came from the Oxygen Destroyer.. Unless you straight up have the OD fused with his body, but that would probably look weird.
Agreed. What about a mutated, shapeshifting sea creature with powers derived from the Oxygren Destroyer needs to be changed?

No theoretical changes to Destroyah would have magically made him iconic on the level of Toho's Big 5.

Lets be real. What hurt all the original Heisei monsters is that none of their films got the widespread release or massive pop cultural awareness that the monsters of the 60s got. The older films were released theatrically and were staples of broadcast TV for decades. The Heisei films (and everything afterward) didn't enjoy that kind of exposure. There was no chance for later monsters to grow into iconic pop cultural touchstones the way Mothra or Mechagodzilla have. Personally, I dont think anything else ever will.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:35 am Lets be real. What hurt all the original Heisei monsters is that none of their films got the widespread release or massive pop cultural awareness that the monsters of the 60s got. The older films were released theatrically and were staples of broadcast TV for decades. The Heisei films (and everything afterward) didn't enjoy that kind of thing. There was no chance for later monsters to grow into iconic pop cultural touchstones the way Mothra or Mechagodzilla have. Personally, I dont think anything else ever will.
On top of that, whoever currently has the broadcast rights to the Showa era films (Criterion? Janus? Shout Factory?) is doing a fantastic job of keeping them in the public consciousness. Comet TV seems to do an all-day marathon of those Godzilla films every 4-8 weeks! If you can’t wait that long there are numerous streaming services that will stream those same films for free. But good luck trying to find the Heisei or Millennium films for free nowadays. It’s as if that distributor (who I presume is a different entity than the Showa distributor) doesn’t want people to see them!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm sure someone with a better imagination than mine could come up with something great, but I imagine an Oxygen Destroyer monster being vague, amorphous, shrouded in its own cloud of white Micro-Oxygen that suffocates any living thing that inhales it. It would be a lot like Hedorah, honestly.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:15 am I'm sure someone with a better imagination than mine could come up with something great, but I imagine an Oxygen Destroyer monster being vague, amorphous, shrouded in its own cloud of white Micro-Oxygen that suffocates any living thing that inhales it. It would be a lot like Hedorah, honestly.
I would imagine a zombie kaiju, flesh partially dissolved from the OD with bones exposed. It’s breath attack would similarly dissolve flesh and it’s scratch or bite would infect other kaiju and slowly turn them into zombies unless scientists can find a cure.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Had Destoroyah's design had actually been good, I don't think it would matter as much if you try to tie him in with the OD.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But what in your opinion is wrong with Destroyahs design?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think we're getting a bit off topic here, but nice discussion.

Design wise, most of the top 5 resemble living creatures or mythological ones. Godzilla and Rodan are prehistoric beasts; Mothra is a moth; Ghidorah is a 3 headed hydra; and MG is a copy of Godzilla. Does this play a part in their popularity? IMO I doubt it does, but maybe looking like something familiar, plus a good suit design, make them more memorable.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mothra, honestly, is a total outlier, and that probably plays a big part in her popularity. A moth is such an unlikely, unexpected choice for a giant monster, and you don't expect them to be beautiful or benevolent, either. She even goes the extra mile into unconventional territory by having these tiny fairy priestesses that speak for her and sing to her. There's nothing else like Mothra.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mothra is unforgivable. Once you see Mothra once you never forget her. Even her name describes the monster.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra's Song goes a long way in her iconic status. Godzilla, Rodan, Ghidorah and MechaG are based on things that are cool though, Dinosaurs, Dragons and Robots are usually hard to mess up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moth
Gotengo Officer

Post by Moth »

Gigan and Anguirus are the closest in terms of popularity to the Big 5.
Jet Jaguar is getting close too.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

As much as I love Anguirus, I doubt he has a chance. I know American audiences like him, but I believe Anguirus isn't that popular in Japan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If a preexisting monster never found that magical something to play with the top Toho dogs, it's not gonna happen now.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Interesting topic here with a lot of sub-discussions going on (post Showa monsters, Big 6). I'll try to give my perspective on a few things:

New iconic monsters in general: I would say that Toho has not put in much effort in trying to create and introduce totally original kaiju since Heisei. Kaiju like Monster X, Salunga, and Megaguirus are all inspired or tied to some older kaiju already introduced. The closest I've seen to fully new kaiju is Monsterverse and Obsidius in Godzilla: Unleashed. I think the Monsterverse is still trying to make that "iconic" monster but I appreciate the attempt.

Post-Showa Monsters: I agree with what has been previously said regarding some of the newer kaiju all having some sort of fudged execution. Out of the kaiju released since Showa, I would say that Battra, Spacegodzilla, and Destoroyah have the highest potential chance of coming back in a future movie. I think that Destoroyah or a similar new kaiju can be used as a final boss in the Monsterverse for sure. Battra and Spacegodzilla are more specific story-wise and would require some set up to pull off. Biollante could work too, but I don't think that the human aspect of the character as done in the OG movie should be pulled off again. I would keep the origin and then dial down on some if the cheesiness (seeing her face in the magic pollen has always been cringe to me). Maybe Biollante can be Apex's final chance at besting Godzilla.

Big 6: I honestly think that a Big 6 of Godzilla would include Gigan. The big reason for that is the greater involvement in Final Wars over the rest of the roster plus its design. If there were ever to be another alien invasion Godzilla movie, Gigan would be a no brainer to bring back.

Moth
Gotengo Officer

Post by Moth »

Technically we already have a 'Big 6'
Minilla/Godzilla Junior. I guess more the concept of a baby godzilla is part of the big 6?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61: